Can we get a definative date on WHEN loyal SL users will be forced to convert to v2 based viewers?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have heard so many rumours, I'm tired of it, so I want a straight answer.  I have been a long time SL user.  I like my V1 based viewer, I know how to use it, I like it's features, I enjoy my SL experience using it.  So tell me please an actual date when I, as many other of we loyal users of V1 based viewers, will be forced to change to V2 based viewers.  I don't mean a "sometime in the future" answer, I mean an actual date of WHEN please.  I wish we could just continue on our merry way using viewers like Phoenix, Singularity, Impurdence and such, but no, we have to give them up, so I want to know WHEN  in no uncertain terms.  Thank you.

As far as I know there is no cut off date. You can continue to use V1 for as long as you want. However, there will be no more updates or support for it, and V1 viewers will become more and more unusable as new features, such as mesh, are added to SL. 

Like others have said, go with firestorm. It can be set up to behave almost identically to V1.

I'd hate to see it retire as I too loved that UI and its why I use Phoenix today however, even Phoenix is launching Firestorm which is way too much like V2 to keep my interest.

For a long time, it has always seemed that technologies built by anyone other then LL seem to work much better then their own home baked junk.  Sad to see that so many are now trying to emulate LL's mistakes.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I'd hate to see it retire as I too loved that UI and its why I use Phoenix today however, even Phoenix is launching Firestorm which is way too much like V2 to keep my interest.

For a long time, it has always seemed that technologies built by anyone other then LL seem to work much better then their own home baked junk.  Sad to see that so many are now trying to emulate LL's mistakes.

The "problem" is, they need the new codebase to have the new features. Which means making it more like V2, because they're using the V2 code. It can't be helped.

Why bother needing the exact date? So you can plan to sell everything a week before? :) Just jump into the v2 viewer and start getting used to it. I dumped my Imprudence and I'm using Kirsten's and the official viewer. It's painful to use but the pain goes away once your nerve endings die.

There isn't one. V1 based viewers are just going to have some features that start not working (likely search and profiles). Also, V1 viewers won't be able to view mesh objects so more and more content will simply not render properly once mesh is rolled out on the whole grid. Supposedly, the developer of the Singularity viewer is going to try backporting mesh render to his V1 based viewer. I wish him luck. Otherwise, your best bet is to try one of the TPV's based on V2 code such as Firestorm or Kirstens and start learning your way around now before things get too broken and you don't have any choice. Kokua will eventually be released in a usable version as well. So there will be alternatives to LL's offering, which despite major impovements since it's initial release, still has a clunky UI.

Same happened with the new Blender. Big UI and under hood changes. Many stuck to the old 2.49 just like me, didn't, or couldn't find the time to relearn. Maybe their PC's weren't the best.

BUT after using it found it so much better, faster, bigger, stronger. Nobody yet has made everyone else use it. They will eventually, It's advisable but not mandatory.

Obviously, as real 3D models are rolled out V1 will not see them so the time to give it a crack is now.

Also obviously the external viewers will have to build-in mesh support or go defunct.

So the answer is : When external devs get the final code to put in there viewers and then they can stay on a V1 hybrid.

Perfezione Fetiocci wrote:

I have heard so many rumours, I'm tired of it, so I want a straight answer.  I have been a long time SL user.  I like my V1 based viewer, I know how to use it, I like it's features, I enjoy my SL experience using it.  So tell me please an actual date when I, as many other of we loyal users of V1 based viewers, will be forced to change to V2 based viewers.  I don't mean a "sometime in the future" answer, I mean an actual date of WHEN please.  I wish we could just continue on our merry way using viewers like Phoenix, Singularity, Impurdence and such, but no, we have to give them up, so I want to know WHEN  in no uncertain terms.  Thank you.

I don't believe any of the feedback you have been getting, in that never will Viewer 1 be blocked. The way LL operates, it will happen some day, However, LL simply doesn't know the time it will happen, so no date can be given. It will happen though. Viewer 1 won't be blocked on purpose. There will come a time when no one will be able to use the Viewer or its TPV counterparts. It is simply the nature of the beast, when an organization like LL allows some of it programmers to rule the roost. It is no big deal, really. It is just how things work and will work, or won't work, so to speak.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.