Phoenix Viewer, objects disappear when I zoom in?

Zinc252 Skytower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have the latest version of the Phoenix Viewer and it worked fine for some time. Recently it started acting up though. I never changed my settings as far as I know, but I've been sharing my laptop with my boyfriend and any changes he makes seem to affect my account. He says he has no idea why it's acting up and that he didn't change anything.

What my problem is is that objects are disappearing as I zoom in. I tried to Google help, but people seem to assume that I'm accidentally zooming inside the objects and that's why I can't see them. That's not the case though. The objects are disappearing from meters and meters away.

It's most apparently in hair. It looks as though the hair is having trouble loading so you only see patches of it, but if I zoom out far enough, it all shows up. It then will disappear again if I zoom any closer.

This is happening even when I'm not alt-camming anything and just viewing through the regular camera that follows my av.

What can I do to fix this? It's driving me insane. Not being able to see objects correctly is making SL pointless for me. :(

13 answers to this question

You may have your LOD (Level of Detail) setting too low.

• in the lower right corner of the Phoenix window, there is an up arrow, above the large Inventory button. Click the up arrow, and a pop-up floater appears
  • find LOD Factor, and set it to a value between 3 and 4. Start at 3, for example
  • close the pop-up by clicking the - at the bottom

Now cam away from yourself then back and you should find that the small prims are rendering better. You can experiment with the LOD Factor values. Be aware that going too low will make large prims (especially sculpted prims) start to look very strange even from relatively close up, so don't go too low; 3 is the recommended minimum.

One more thing you can try is to toggle Dynamic LOD to see if it improves (whether this works better enabled or disabled will depend a great deal on your hardware):

• Preferences → Phoenix → Page 2 → Advanced Graphics → Dynamic LOD
 If this doesn't solve your problem, I suggest that you join the Phoenix/Firestorm Viewer Support group in world (easy to find in Search).  They have a very active and friendly on-line triage group that can solve almost any problem related to Phoenix or Firestorm.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.