End of V1?

chloe Seljan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

First, sorry for my bad English :)

Some people say that viewer based on V1 will one day be broken and be mostly unusable on the SL grid.

Is it true? 

I use Kirstens, it's not a problem for me. But some people can't use, because of his computer, V2 viewers. Computer not powerful enough. Is it a solution for those people, except buy a new computer (not enough money)?

Thanks a lot :)

Chloé

From what i hear, V1 type viewers will be phased out sooner rather than later.  I figured i may as well get used to Firestorm viewer.  Since i'm familiar with V2 (though have been using Phoenix for preference) making the switch was easy.

I get much better performance from Firestorm than i ever have from V2.

Singularity is still on the older code and it should run on any PC released from 2004 year onwards. I've tested it using my laptop and texture loading is much faster than Phoenix. Firestorm is based a lot on V2 codes and one feature (if not the only feature) I like about Firestorm is the prim alignment in build tool. I might use it as an alternate viewer in the future if they ever going to install DOF in it. Otherwise i'm sticking with V2.

Henri (the maker of Cool VL) also has align working on v1, and quite a few features, so you might also be interested in it (he's working on backporting mesh). that also means it should be no trouble to port align onto singularity if you can convince their devs...

chloe Seljan wrote:

Some friends said me that they have to stop Second Life because V2 is too "hard" for those old PC. If Singularity will be more adapted for this PC... :matte-motes-little-laugh:

PowerPC Macs can't run v2. But that's it. They're the only ones left out.

One of my machines is a PowerPC Mac (a 2003 iBook g4) - so if that was my only machine I'd be out if v1 went away.

But my Windows machine runs V2 just fine, so its what I use 99% of the time.

You can get a good new PC or about $300. An eMachine. Or you can get a Mac Cube for about $600.

So if anyone gets knocked out of SL when/if V1's switch gets flipped off - its their own choice. If you can afford to be in SL regularly, you can afford an eMachine.

As for the prediction that V1 will go out. I suppose I'm considered one of the people making that prediction. What I've actually been saying is that they announced back in May or so that they would disable search for v1 when the new search rolled out. The new search is here now, but I think v1 search is still working (otherwise you'd see a bunch of Phoenix users in the forum declaring their self-importance like they did when their viewer got blocked last time and half its devs banned  - when they all go nuts in the forums again, that's when v1 is dead ;) ) - so that didn't happen I guess.

a few factual corrections.

being able to access SL and having a few hundred dollars extra to throw down to access it are NOT the same thing.

Phoneix never got blocked, Emerald did, and then only after an alternate (Emergemce) was available.

Phoenix devs are those that left Emerald, all the banned devs where in Emerald.

turning off v1 search doens't mean anything to a TPV regardless of codebase, because it's pretty simple to rewire it to use current search.

the only "going nuts" that happened was over a particular Emerald dev (now banned) who misused his position to attempt to DDOS a website, and was generated by people feeling betrayed by that. the end result was the policy for real names to be listed for people making viewers to be listed in the TPV directory.

actual v1 (official) has been dead for a long time.... it's subject to multiple crash modes (both intentional and not) and many severe glitches that were, and never will be, patched officially.

Secondlife residents should not "HAVE" to get used to a ui and features tehy clearly do not like. Linden Lab should accomodate tehir customers, not vice versus. So far secondlife residents have overwhelmingly voiced their thought by their choice of viwers. currenly 60-70% Phoenix, 15% Firestorm, 15% V2.x and a few V1.23, singularity, etc.

I am not sure what serviwe side features are rumored to be eliminated, but current v2 'features' such as web based profiles are a problem for many users with modest computers. SecondLife has a technical savy and engaged user base that Linden Labs has repeatedly ignored and offended with development of v2.

zzyzxroad wrote:

Secondlife residents should not "HAVE" to get used to a ui and features tehy clearly do not like. Linden Lab should accomodate tehir customers, not vice versus. So far secondlife residents have overwhelmingly voiced their thought by their choice of viwers. currenly 60-70% Phoenix, 15% Firestorm, 15% V2.x and a few V1.23, singularity, etc.

I am not sure what serviwe side features are rumored to be eliminated, but current v2 'features' such as web based profiles are a problem for many users with modest computers. SecondLife has a technical savy and engaged user base that Linden Labs has repeatedly ignored and offended with development of v2.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. When software gets old, it gets phased out. Same thing with hardware. After a while, it doesn't matter what you want- it simply won't work anymore, and it's time to upgrade. If you computer can't run the latest software that you want to run... Time for a new computer. Or at least an upgrade.

And really, it's not just computers, it's everything in the world. Cars, clothes, homes, tools, TV's... Computers are just faster about doing it.

For what it's worth, I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" crowd.

Phoenix runs and looks great.  Firestorm is like someone holding your head underwater.... horrible, dark and depressing.  I am not happy about (rumoredly) being forced into using it.  If these are the sacrifices we're making for mesh, do we really need mesh?

Hello!

Thanks for your answer. 

Janelle, i use v2 (and Kirstens). I know that some people don't very like this new viewer, but... with a little time of adaptation, v2 appaers fine. It's not only for mesh but also webonprim function. I hope that Linden Lab will more develop this function.

Now, for people who can use v2 because of his computer, it seems that singularity will update his viewer to v2 more light than v2 or Kirstens (or Firestorm).

I hope just that friends can come when, if that's true, all v1 viewer will no more available.

Sweet kiss, and sorry for my english.

Chloé

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

Phoenix runs and looks great.  Firestorm is like someone holding your head underwater.... horrible, dark and depressing.  I am
not
happy about (rumoredly) being forced into using it.  If these are the sacrifices we're making for mesh, do we really need mesh?

Firestorm has different skins already and will also have more skins available later. It is also planned to hold a skin contest so new user-created skins will be available.

Yep, I saw that and I did try one of the alternate skins... but it's not just that.  It's learning to deal with everything rearranged, extra clicks to get to the simple things and ... well, just many things.

And I had Phoenix loaded on the other screen and looked at it and wondered, why do I have to make all these changes?  For what?  Yes I'm a masochist but not for this kind of thing.

Did you configured Firestorm to look V1-like? Currently needs to be done manually but it is planned to give users an option on startup or first run to choose if they prefer V1 or V2 style and preconfigure the layout. So long there is the video about how to get V1 look on Firestorm:

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.