SL should have object decay

10 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Last time I did that, to a random kitten which was lying just like that, which had turned up on our doorstep when I got home...

It was a trap! As soon as I started to tickle the cute, innocent looking kitten, it closed the trap like a Venus fly trap, all four cute little paws hooking their claws into my wrist as the kitten gnawed on my thumb!

I lifted it up, like the guy in the movie "the blob" when it got on his hand, with the kitten still gnawing on me and hooked in for keeps. I pleaded with my wife for help, she just laughed out loud.

Never again... kittens are evil! (until I see another one looking irresistibly cute...)

The first family pet I really remember was our huge tomcat, Alex. He was nearly the size of a bobcat and was a hunter, through and through. He'd wail to be let out of the house at night, so he could prowl around the neighborhood for prey. We'd find him sleeping on the roof in the morning, having left some part of the night's kill on the porch.

Dad taught me how to get Alex's attention by pretending to be prey. I'd put my hand under my skirt or top and wiggle a finger to play mousie. I loved watching him crouch for the kill. On rainy nights, Alex was happy to stay indoors with us. He'd roam the house after we went to bed, looking for movement under the blankets, particularly mine. One of those nights, he slipped under the blanket at the foot of the bed and attacked my toes. Not wanting that little bitey monster to cause any more pain, I laid as still as possible.

He knew I was under there somewhere, and that I was good prey. After a moment, I felt him crawl up under the blanket and begin slithering along my legs. I twitched and he froze. A moment later he slithered a little more. I twitched again and he froze again. Eventually, he worked his way up until I could feel his whiskers on my face. I couldn't stand the excitement any more and I pounced on him. Let me give all of you a little advice. DON'T DO THAT!!!

Alex exploded into a screeching demon from hell, leaving me pretty scratched up. Mom and Dad thought someone had broken into the house. When they turned on my bedroom light, the curtain and half the things I'd had on my desk were on the floor. Mom put Bactine on my scratches and tucked me back into bed. Alex was nowhere to be found...

...until about an hour later, when he returned to the foot of my bed, where I'd carefully tucked the blanket under the mattress.

When daylight broke, he was sleeping next to me.

I'm still looking for a relationship like that here in SL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The first family pet I really remember was our huge tomcat, Alex. He was nearly the size of a bobcat and was a hunter, through and through. He'd wail to be let out of the house at night, so he could prowl around the neighborhood for prey. We'd find him sleeping on the roof in the morning, having left some part of the night's kill on the porch.

Dad taught me how to get Alex's attention by pretending to be prey. I'd put my hand under my skirt or top and wiggle a finger to play mousie. I loved watching him crouch for the kill. On rainy nights, Alex was happy to stay indoors with us. He'd roam the house after we went to bed, looking for movement under the blankets, particularly mine. One of those nights, he slipped under the blanket at the foot of the bed and attacked my toes. Not wanting that little bitey monster to cause any more pain, I laid as still as possible.

He knew I was under there somewhere, and that I was good prey. After a moment, I felt him crawl up under the blanket and begin slithering along my legs. I twitched and he froze. A moment later he slithered a little more. I twitched again and he froze again. Eventually, he worked his way up until I could feel his whiskers on my face. I couldn't stand the excitement any more and I pounced on him. Let me give all of you a little advice. DON'T DO THAT!!!

Alex exploded into a screeching demon from hell, leaving me pretty scratched up. Mom and Dad thought someone had broken into the house. When they turned on my bedroom light, the curtain and half the things I'd had on my desk were on the floor. Mom put Bactine on my scratches and tucked me back into bed. Alex was nowhere to be found...

...until about an hour later, when he returned to the foot of my bed, where I'd carefully tucked the blanket under the mattress.

When daylight broke, he was sleeping next to me.

I'm still looking for a relationship like that here in SL.

Cats are like people in that regard, Maddy....they may act like they want to be restrained at times, but really they don't want to be.

20 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The first family pet I really remember was our huge tomcat, Alex.

Thank you for that; what a wonderful story. Apart from you getting scratched up I guess, but still a good memory. You had me grinning the whole while I read it.

Our cat, who died a year ago next month (old age; we had her for 19 years) used to jump onto and climb all the way up the curtains with her claws, to then sit on the rail at the top and look down on us. The very first thing she did when we brought her home as a kitten was to try to escape by running up the chimney. I only just caught her in time. There's a bend and a ledge half way up our chimney flue and only taking the wall out would likely have got her out if she'd made it that far.

Here's a picture of her, about to disembowel a tinsel ball (she loved those):

IMG_2564a.thumb.jpg.a1d29b827ec90d284247f70ca7a6ec1a.jpg

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Confusion is not different from WTF. When you are saying WTF, it is usually because you can't believe someone said something and are confused how they could say that. It is not dissimilar from HUH?  It is not that complicated. You get very gatekeepy on meanings of words (and now emoji) to the point that it can be irritating. Context is also key. Some people are using the laugh response because they are amused, and some people use it because they are laughing at what you said. Again, not hard to discern.

On the old SLU, you'd have had a slew of WTF reactions, not only because it'd be funny, but also because people would have been gobsmacked at someone having to explain 'context matters' to what ostensibly should be a fully formed adult.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

On the old SLU, you'd have had a slew of WTF reactions, not only because it'd be funny, but also because people would have been gobsmacked at someone having to explain 'context matters' to what ostensibly should be a fully formed adult.

Can you imagine how they would handle the current set on VVO?

Screenshot 2024-06-18 204900.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:
6 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Can you imagine how they would handle the current set on VVO?

Screenshot 2024-06-18 204900.png

Expand  

I didn't want to traumatize them.

I think I get most of them, but what's with this eggplant do u know?

emoticon.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Do they still exist?

58 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Of a sorts, from time to time, yes

My initial off the cuff answer to Cris's question would be 'Don't know, don't care.'

But I have to say, I enjoy the schadenfreude of the self-important being largely impotent.

3 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

But I have to say, I enjoy the schadenfreude of the self-important being largely impotent.

"Attention Civilian Avatar, this is Captain Grieferboy ARSpammer of the SecondLife Failed-Maritime-Mall-Cop-Wannabe Bigot force! You are charged with being in a public boat rezzing zone whilst in possession of an account LESS than 15 years old.

You will state your FULL legacy login name and reason for being here, or you WILL be AR'd for no valid reason whatsoever!"

"Attention walking toilet stain, I'm a member of the public, minding my own business in a public boat rezzing zone, searching my inventory for a boat to rez, in the public boat rezzing zone, while being subjected to ToS violating harassment by a failed-mall-cop-wannabe who I have already AR'd. Sod Off now <french accent> or I shall AR you a zecond time </french accent>."

"Wait, you AR'd  ME for ToS Violating harassment?"

"Twice, wanna try for the hat-trick, 3rd time's the charm."

"Errrrrr.... I'm receiving an emergency distress call for an urgent air-sea rescue... KThxBai..."

*small sonic boom of displaced air followed by the unmistakable sound of a worthless asshat dopplering into the distance at a respectable fraction of lightspeed*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

LOL I barely post here and I have felt shellshocked after 3 threads basically, two of which got closed. I don't know how you do it long term.

The best threads always get closed.

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"Attention Civilian Avatar, this is Captain Grieferboy ARSpammer of the SecondLife Failed-Maritime-Mall-Cop-Wannabe Bigot force! You are charged with being in a public boat rezzing zone whilst in possession of an account LESS than 15 years old.

"Reading is fundamental, coastie. I'm well over 15 years. Even My alts are all turning 15. How old is your account, hmm? Under 15?" *tsks* "I'm afraid you'll just have to AR yourself. Don't make me call in the Wrong Hands to find out all your sUpEr ToP SeCreT info and release it to the web at large.. again."

[Edit: OB Cat]

cat war.png

Edited by Roxy Couturier
Not enough cats!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Well, more self-inflicted impotence..

"helluva 'accident' you had there boyo.. yikes!"

Now you have me thinking of "Brandon the AK Guy's Darwin Awards" videos on youtube.

"Looks like he just gave himself a 115 grain high velocity vasectomy..."

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1