SL should have object decay

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok, so you are not suggesting (at least in YOUR interpretation of Paul's ask) that the land be moved, or be resold to someone else?

Unfortunately, the "move the 128m parcel, please" actual examples set precedent.

I am not suggesting anything. ALL ideas are on the table because we are just discussing things. Moving unvisited parcels is still an idea. 

Whether I think they're good or bad ideas doesn't stop me from considering them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:
12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok, so you are not suggesting (at least in YOUR interpretation of Paul's ask) that the land be moved, or be resold to someone else?

Unfortunately, the "move the 128m parcel, please" actual examples set precedent.

I am not suggesting anything. ALL ideas are on the table because we are just discussing things. Moving unvisited parcels is still an idea. 

Whether I think they're good or bad ideas doesn't stop me from considering them.

I think leaving the land in place, but clearing it out, is like RL bulldozing Detroit because everyone moved out. (There are interesting before /after pictures on the internet.) Ultimately, you only end up with a few buildings on a given Region.

But neither do I like the idea of selling it to someone else.

In the RL example, nobody "paid taxes" on the land, or the structures were deemed a hazard and not kept up.

In the SL example, *I* assume that someone is still paying for it.

I think the introduction of the "decay timer" (I missed it earlier) vs. "request for the land to be cleared, confuses the issue in general.

"Decay Timer" <= Seems "fair and equitable" - EVEN IF I HATE IT!

"Request for the land to be cleared" <= Extremely likely to be abused

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Currently, the "preservation" concept is limited to "memorials" etc., for example land with builds thought to be significant, but the creator died.  

Two options:

a) Preserve "by default"

b) Do not preserve "by default"  <= Your reply assumes when the "decay timer" expires, something will happen / or action must be taken to prevent it. So, assume it must reflect this option..

I pity the person who wakes from a coma after 10 years, or gets out of prison after 15 years, to find their Second Life land and investment gone, even though they were paying the entire time. <= I take their side.

We're talking about preserving in the sense of "protect it from the decay timer" on the land that's owned. The way it's done in most places is the decay timer ticks down and someone has to want to remove your items. In SL we'd also want to add the extra step of "nobody's asked to have this preserved" so random griefers won't walk by and want to activate it.

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

If the land is just cleared after some amount of time but ownership is still with the original owner, it would still be there after that decade long coma.  A "restore" button could be pushed by the parcel owner and all the stuff put back.  If the person never comes back, then the parcel is left empty.

Bingo.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Ding!

I like this guy. Yeah, I got those vibes too. Its like if you don't have the same opinion as them you don't belong in this 'utopia'. I've been lurking through these pages here and you and many other people have made valid points on this subject.

Its ironic they wanna talk about it being like a dictatorship when they, themselves act so entitled and selfish over the land they own. Its as some people have said; there are some plots of abandoned land with objects such as mega-prims that impede on other residents. I dunno about some of you guys out there but when I'm flying my plane around and suddenly I smack into a huge prim. That gets annoying.

I imagine it like real life;  lets say the person owning the property passes away and nobody else is around in the family to take the property and pay the property taxes. What happens? You guessed it, the government comes in and puts the property up on auction. These people wanna talk about common-sense well, there you go. You can apply that to Second Life. If a person hasn't shown up in X amount of years then its fair to say that the abandoned land should be up for a cleaning.

"Its my land, I can do whatever I want" at the expense of everyone else. Do they not realize how bad that sounds? Lets say this person has a plot of land and its got all sorts of Nazi items. Are they gonna have the same thought process then or get triggered over it and request LL to do something about it?

Most of the time its a "Me-me" kind of thing with them then it is for actually being for the people around them.

Also, HOAs are a thing. If it looks terrible, then they'll have something to say about it.

Stay off other peoples property and you won't hit their mega prims.

If there are  Nazi items, just report them. LL will clear them out right away. Now pro communist items? Perhaps a shrine to comrade Stalin, or Chairman Mao... no, those are fine no one will touch those.

12 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

We're talking about preserving in the sense of "protect it from the decay timer" on the land that's owned. The way it's done in most places is the decay timer ticks down and someone has to want to remove your items. In SL we'd also want to add the extra step of "nobody's asked to have this preserved" so random griefers won't walk by and want to activate it.

Bingo.

Why should random griefers be able to return anything? And what makes you better than a griefer for wanting stuff you don't like gone.

There are hundreds of empty sims on mainland, but you are gonna obsess about a few parcels no one has been on for years, yet are still owned?

Just find an empty sim, ask LL to carve you out a nice slice, and forget about the rest of mainland.

Preferably far away from me too.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

No more reading of Zal's posts for you! 

Couple of other posters are too far gone to be redeemed but in your case there might still be hope! 🙂 

• Haha 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

No more reading of Zal's posts for you! 

Couple of other posters are too far gone to be redeemed but in your case there might still be hope! 🙂 

I was actually gonna reply by saying wait until Zal gets a hold of that post 😁

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So anyway... a discussion where ideas are tossed out even if we don't agree on which ideas are good or bad. We are all adult enough to talk them through.

Most of us are adult enough.

The premise of the thread is "lets confiscate the land of people that don't log in for a while", that whole idea is ridiculous, whats to argue?

Its not like there is a land shortage and people can't get any because its all taken up by people that never log in

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
15 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So anyway... a discussion where ideas are tossed out even if we don't agree on which ideas are good or bad. We are all adult enough to talk them through.

Most of us are adult enough.

The premise of the thread is "lets confiscate the land of people that don't log in for a while", that whole idea is ridiculous, whats to argue?

Its not like there is a land shortage and people can't get any because its all taken up by people that never log in

You don't understand, Billi...we are now a Philosophy forum...

LL is going to read this thread and the zillion threads on 'child avatars and the TOS 'and beg us to post about politics  and RL again...

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

To be fair to Paul, many of us have wanted to have actual discussion and idea threads. Someone always comes in and attacks the people and ideas. It really doesn't become the wanted discussion.

It takes a certain kind of intelligence to be able to entertain an idea without actually believing in it. I'm afraid very few people here have that kind of intelligence. This leads nearly every thread exactly where this one is.

It stifles imaginations and any new ideas that might be brought up even if the intention was never a feature request (which you clearly stated it isn't.)

I wish discussion threads worked, but most people just don't have the maturity to discuss ideas instead of just attacking.

On topic: Leave mainland to its chaotic and empty demise. Those who want unhindered creativity or just a place to log back in a decade later to work on a half finished build a place that is exactly as they left it.  Lifetime accounts with their land were promised it would always be theirs.  No one should touch it until LL closes the doors and turn of the servers 

2 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Well, this post insulted nearly everyone who posts on this forum.  I didn't realize the collective IQ here was so low. Thanks!

And yet...

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I can't believe you people will argue about anything. This is one of the more idiotic threads I've seen

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

LL is going to read this thread and the zillion threads on 'child avatars and the TOS 'and beg us to post about politics  and RL again...

A forum with limited on topic subject matter will have limited and repetitive posts.

If you want to debate politics there are other places online for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
53 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

A forum with limited on topic subject matter will have limited and repetitive posts.

If you want to debate politics there are other places online for that.

point flew over head.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If there are  Nazi items, just report them. LL will clear them out right away. Now pro communist items? Perhaps a shrine to comrade Stalin, or Chairman Mao... no, those are fine no one will touch those.

All well and good until that prim just kinda sticks out from their property. Not saying I walk through peoples' properties (thats an assumption) I was making a point overall. As weird things happen in SL.

And right though? It is ironic they don't bat an eye (not specifically saying the Lindens here before anyone says anything) over Communism but get their panties in a twist if someone wears a German uniform. Despite the fact Stalin was actually worse off than Hitler at least in terms of how he treated his people (the great famine and what not) but nobody talks about that for obvious reasons because its how history is written and how they want it to be. Double standards baby.

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:
4 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I wish discussion threads worked, but most people just don't have the maturity to discuss ideas instead of just attacking.

Well, this post insulted nearly everyone who posts on this forum.  I didn't realize the collective IQ here was so low. Thanks!

Luckily, my IQ is too low to know when I am being insulted!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

All well and good until that prim just kinda sticks out from their property

If you are NOT an habitual repeat offending criminal trespasser, and the "mega prim" is entirely within their parcel boundary, it won't affect you, it's NONE of your business, and no new rule is needed, so this bloody awful idea can be filed in the trashcan where it belongs.

If you are NOT an habitual repeat offending criminal trespasser, and the "mega prim" extends past their boundary onto public land owned by another resident, it's NOT your place to do anything about it, no new rule is needed, this bloody awful idea can go in the trash.

If you are NOT an habitual repeat offending criminal trespasser, and the "mega prim" juts out onto public land owned by LLDPW or Gov Linden, then you file an Abuse Report for Encroachment, and Governance takes care of it, no new rule is needed and this bloody awful idea can go in the trash where it belongs.

If you ARE trespassing, and you run into the parcel owners build, that's YOUR fault for trespassing and not looking where you were going. No new rule is needed, this bloody awful idea can go in the trash, and the parcel owners security orb deals with you as you deserve.

That covers all the scenarios of your "hypothetical" mega prim on somebody else's land, and none of the cases needs a new rule based on a bloody awful idea that belongs in the trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

If you are NOT an habitual repeat offending criminal trespasser, and the "mega prim" is entirely within their parcel boundary, it won't affect you, it's NONE of your business, and no new rule is needed, so this bloody awful idea can be filed in the trashcan where it belongs.

If you are NOT an habitual repeat offending criminal trespasser, and the "mega prim" extends past their boundary onto public land owned by another resident, it's NOT your place to do anything about it, no new rule is needed, this bloody awful idea can go in the trash.

If you are NOT an habitual repeat offending criminal trespasser, and the "mega prim" juts out onto public land owned by LLDPW or Gov Linden, then you file an Abuse Report for Encroachment, and Governance takes care of it, no new rule is needed and this bloody awful idea can go in the trash where it belongs.

If you ARE trespassing, and you run into the parcel owners build, that's YOUR fault for trespassing and not looking where you were going. No new rule is needed, this bloody awful idea can go in the trash, and the parcel owners security orb deals with you as you deserve.

That covers all the scenarios of your "hypothetical" mega prim on somebody else's land, and none of the cases needs a new rule based on a bloody awful idea that belongs in the trash.

Too long didn't read. I've been in SL since 2006 and have had experience seeing stuff like this so I knew you'd pull this sort of reply. I'm sure you're aware that scripting knows no limits and people will and have done things like putting anti-auto return scripts in their objects and scripts that can bypass a land's barrier. I've seen it done many times in the Blake Sea's info-hubs specifically, they'll rez buildings and lounge out in the area like they own it. Theres nothing hypothetical about a mega-prim on these lands jutting out. That said I wont entertain this any further knowing how your 'type' works. You keep coming back for more and more (and frankly its quite flattering I've been in your mind all day). Good day. ❤️

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Haha 3