SL should have object decay

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Example "Logical" steps that could lead to apparently irrational anger:

1. I think a lot of people "don't trust LL to do the right thing".

2. If LL were to implement features similar to the suggestions, then "my" stuff could be returned!!! This makes it a "bad idea".

3. The anger could come from merely suggesting LL do something that is a "bad idea", there is a danger of LL actually doing it.  

4. Adding, that because people don't trust LL to "do things the right way", a lot of people would assume "LL will screw this up" and "PEOPLE WILL RETURN MY STUFF1!!!!1!"

And some people like to talk tough but actually have skins as thin and tender as a ripe nectarine.

• Thanks 1

Not weighing in in either direction at this time, but the idea of: how many people bought land in 2006, put up something ugly, and never returned but are still (likely accidentally) paying - reminded me of this story from a couple years ago. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/aol-1point5-million-people-still-pay-for-service-but-not-for-dial-up-internet.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Not weighing in in either direction at this time, but the idea of: how many people bought land in 2006, put up something ugly, and never returned but are still (likely accidentally) paying - reminded me of this story from a couple years ago. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/aol-1point5-million-people-still-pay-for-service-but-not-for-dial-up-internet.html

I paid for AOL for years after dialup went away, even after they made it "free" - because I was using their email service.

Finally, I took the "go free" option and years later, my AOL email still works fine. (Except for when rare companies like LL start bouncing it.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sure BUT my question was only addressing the "client" side. Nice try, though..?

From this answer, I assume you agree that "derending" would solve your stated "client" issue.

Yeah. Although it's hard to dismiss reduced region performance as something that doesn't affect the client.

Someone else said about derendering that it may solve the problem for the direct neighbor, but it doesn't help everyone else that passes by, and isn't practical for the volume of stuff out there. I think I agree with that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Oh we DID read it.

But not the posts that every single one of those quotes were a reply to? Or are you being selective for- uh oh- straw man effect?

Let's face it, there were plenty of people that disliked the idea and said so in completely viable ways that were totally drowned out by posts that were irrational, hostile, and undermined the entire argument they were making, and they're what made this whole thing 20 pages long instead of a single page of "nope" posts that everyone would have lost interest in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Someone else said about derendering that it may solve the problem for the direct neighbor, but it doesn't help everyone else that passes by, and isn't practical for the volume of stuff out there. I think I agree with that.

If you had a "derender for everyone" option, I'd like that better.

On the server side, the user MAY be running "important scripts" like hosting a "magic box" (or whatever Casper calls their version these days).  They could have vendors on an active, busy region that DOES get visitors, which depends on the "important scripts" in that region.  (I myself thought of setting up such a system with a "host system" at the "home region". Don't need it now that Linkset Data exists.)

Return their stuff, nobody can buy it anymore (except on the MP of course).

4 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

For the love of god, stop saying "straw man" over and over.

Yes, Zal uses MANY more argumentative tactics than just that one. They are just less obvious than the tactics other people use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Yeah. Although it's hard to dismiss reduced region performance as something that doesn't affect the client.

It also again takes control away for other users. Maybe they want to see it. Why would someone else get to decide what to derender for all users? The only derender all that would work is derendering it from view from your own land for all visitors to your land.

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

For the love of god, stop saying "straw man" over and over.

I know, I can't help it, they just keep coming.

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I suggest you STOP digging that hole you're in when you reach the other side of the planet.

Says the person literally bypassing the forum filters in order to continue?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

derendering it from view from your own land for all visitors to your land.

That's something that probably is an actual feature request already, I think?

Just now, Cristiano Midnight said:

What forum filter are you referring to?

You didn't know this forum has a ton of filters for words not allowed? There's a bunch that will get your post automoderated and/or words hidden.

Bypassing the filters with special characters is evading the filters.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You didn't know this forum has a ton of filters for words not allowed? There's a bunch that will get your post automoderated and/or words hidden.

Oh I get the **** all the time as I swear like a sailor. I thought you were referring to something else. That is standard forum practice, but it is not actually modertated per se. A lot of forum software lets you turn of censoring of swear words for yourself.

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

I said server, too.

For example, if I have a bunch of breedables wandering around my parcel and you derender them, the physical collisions will still continue to bring the region's FPS down.

we need a ban on breedables 😂

• Like 1

I would just be happy with any object over a certain size is just automatically phantom.  So you can blacklist those hideous huge image walls people put around their parcels, then still be able to fly through them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I know derendering other parcels from view completely is a feature request, not sure if it is global or just personal.

This is more fiddly than it might seem and that technical hiccup is why we haven't ever seen this feature in practice.

The entire concept of a parcel is far more ethereal than one might presume.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is more fiddly than it might seem and that technical hiccup is why we haven't ever seen this feature in practice.

Wouldn't it be similar in concept to what exists now to not see avatars from outside the parcel?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Ah, I thought you were referring to the choice of hyperbole while ranting, instead of using verboten curse words!

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Awesome description, I love it!!

Manager: Please fix the bug

Developer: I would, but it is fiddly and ethereal in nature.

Manager: Understood. Mark it as, "rejected".

Edited by Love Zhaoying