Who - aside from users - will benefit from the Mobile Ap

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

KIDS have NO jobs, KIDS have NO money. EVERYTHIING they "spend" comes from their PARENTS.

Wow, Sherlock. You think? Where did you get your money when you were a kid? If you didn't have a paper route, or a part time job at McDonald's or babysitting someone's kid..  you got it from  your parents... and you spent it on things you wanted.

Do you know how many times I've seen kids with their parents in Walmart or w/e begging for WoW time, or Robux, or w/e the latest game was? I chuckle to myself as the parents give in. When Fortnite was big, they're were begging for playtime for that too. Just like all through history, kids without jobs get money to spend from their parents. Not that my argument is about kids coming to SL anyway...

What are you even arguing anyway? Who cares where they get their money from.

AND, my main point is that these Roblox kids, who use mobile to access Roblox, who spend money on Roblox, are going to be 18+ soon, and may consider coming to Second Life. I'm not arguing whether kids spend money or not LMAO!!

"Mommy, can I have $99 a year for a premium subscription to a kinky pron simulator, and $230 a month to rent my own virtual land,  and another $100 for a cool avatar, and some clothes, plus the 30 % Awful Mac Tax?"

What's your point? Some will some won't. Why do you care so much that you're arguing for reasons for people NOT to come here.

They haven't for the last 8 yeas. Did you forget that a huge chunk of them use PC's, and have ALREADY aged out of CrapBlox, and didn't come HERE.

So they didn't come here, what's your point in relation to the OP topic?

also, be careful of spamming quotes from Forbes, the monthly magazine for Failed Executive  Wannabes, who tend to publish a bucket load of 1 and 2 page "pay some hack per word" disposable inert filler articles.

I shouldn't  have to post such things anyway, as it is common knowledge that kids spend tons of money. This is already known... and it should not even be a topic for debate.

But common sense didn't stop somebody with as shallow an understanding as you

Stop lying about people on this forum. Stop lying about what they said, what they stand for, and all the other silly accusations you levy against people on a daily basis. That NPD is flaring up again.

Introduce people with no interest in SL, who won't spend the money they don't have, to this platform via a cripple-ware interface that makes just conversing almost impossible, and restricts them from visiiting 1/3rd of the platform, the 1/3rd where most of the fun is.

Brilliant idea.

The question was about Mobile. Mobile may be accessed by all ages. I was posing some theories as to why LL may be interested in a Mobile app to access SL (appealing to millions of people using Mobile), who are used to using LUA and may want to graduate to another adult platform using the skills they know, etc.  Will they come? I dunno. That's not my problem.

YOu still haven't supported why you hate this idea so much. Why do you even care if LL invests in such things?
Do you lose something?

Edited by Codex Alpha

37 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I pretty much totally disagree that there are millions or tens of millions or whatever of kids excitedly waiting to be able to use SL on their mobiles, but a lot of them do have money. And given that (IIRC) you agree that many parents buy consoles and expensive games for their kids, it seems like whether kids earn money or not, a lot of them do have a steady revenue stream for gaming.

You can't disagree with a position that was never stated by anyone in this topic, No one made that claim. I did pose that it may be part of LL's interest to try to lure the older kids from Roblox to SL when they're ready - by their favourite tool - MOBILE (60% of Roblox users access it through MOBILE)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Happy to give you guys something NEW to talk about LOL.

"We're saving the world" , one forum argument at a time.

Remember that ? Wink Wink "Good luck saving the world!" (Chic Aeon exits stage left from platform that will not be named)
Classic. :D

Edited by Codex Alpha
fixed the quote

5 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

YOu still haven't supported why you hate this idea so much. Why do you even care if LL invests in such things?
Do you lose something?

Once upon a time, LL listened to worthless idiots, and tried building a "SecondLife  2.0", it was going to be in R, and totally PG, and nothing would carry over from SL 1.0, and it would be for corporate customers and failed artistes to showcase their stuff ( for a fat fee) to the mere user level proles.

They left this platform to ROT for 6 years, and WASSTED at least 70 million on this pipe dream, 70 million that came out of the pockets of the people they didn't want on the new platform.

The then CEO openly stated that SecondLife was "full of geeks" and he wanted Sansar to be "geek free". Apparently only our MONEY was welcome in his "ideal new world".

Then it failed. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Now you're suggesting they do it again, milk the cash cows to finance an insane experiment in planned failure, intended to displace the very people being taxed to pay for it.

What do we lose? We lose SecondLife, as changing it to fit the planned failure will destroy it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
4 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

Why wouldn't they spend money in SL? A statement without any supporting reasoning or justification behind it is a non-argument.

KIDS have NO jobs, KIDS have NO money. EVERYTHIING they "spend" comes from their PARENTS.

When I was young, kids (teens under 18) could get two "most common jobs":

- Delivering Newspapers (as if that is still a thing, NOT!)

- Working at certain business that specifically allowed hiring young teens. In the US, an example of this was "Baskin-Robbins" (an ice cream parlor).

- Older teens, possibly 16+, could work in "Fast Food".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I still would be interested in hearing how the people who think the mobile app will attract new people think these new users will even know SL or the app exist?

You will find it browsing apps in the app store 😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Once upon a time, LL listened to worthless idiots, and tried building a "SecondLife  2.0", it was going to be in R, and totally PG, and nothing would carry over from SL 1.0, and it would be for corporate customers and failed artistes to showcase their stuff ( for a fat fee) to the mere user level proles.

Should they have listened to you? You seem to think you could have made Sansar a success.

Yes, the SL users of Sansar also claimed it would fail if it wasn't 18+. The same pathetic claim they continue to make about SL. Yes, people should have the most choice possible, but what's funny is that all you and other people are saying is LL products can't survive without all the sex play.. what an insult when SL has so much more to offer.

Who are these failed artists you speak of? The same spectrum of artistic skill exists on SL, from beginner to pro... Do you consider yourself to be some skilled top knotch creator, looking down on all the other creators that helped make SL a success? Come on, man, you're out of line.

They left this platform to ROT for 6 years, and WASSTED at least 70 million on this pipe dream, 70 million that came out of the pockets of the people they didn't want on the new platform.

I can't disagree with you there. I and others wasted lots of money, time and creative hours there, listening to their promises. In the end, they didn't want the users that would have made them a success - or at least tested if they COULD be a success. Instead they were happy to keep it to 20 people, for 6 f'ing years. I'm as pissed off as you about that, believe me.

The then CEO openly stated that SecondLife was "full of geeks" and he wanted Sansar to be "geek free". Apparently only our MONEY was welcome in his "ideal new world".

That is true, and how truly strange and hypocritic it was - since most of, if not ALL of their staff were made up of SL employees, or San Francisco group people, and now are run almost entirely TODAY by SL users..

And most of the regular and visible and vocal users of Sansar are in fact SL'ers, some of them on this forum - what a co-incidence.

It's this old SL fuddy duddy mentality I speak of that doesn't help. Although there are many reasons why it didn't go where it should have, to me it all boiled down to lack of professionalism, and absolute HATRED of the groups of users that would have come to their platform. Oh well.

Then it failed. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I agree, but only with the utter stupidity that the staff conducted themselves, and continue to do so.

However, I DISAGREE about LL trying to go out and do something new. It just wasn't the time nor the social time to invest in such things I guess.

Now you're suggesting they do it again, milk the cash cows to finance an insane experiment in planned failure, intended to displace the very people being taxed to pay for it.

What do we lose? We lose SecondLife, as changing it to fit the planned failure will destroy it.

I'm not suggesting anything, just discussing said actions by LL to want to incorporate Mobile, and perhaps include LUA as a 'new tool', etc.

I care more about having the workflow easier to bring things into SL, but I also understand that more users means more opportunities, more friends, more adventures. I didnt say LL will be successful at it. Instead of assuming the worst of me in every single way, how about getting to know my positions on things a bit more.

I'm allowed to hold a position or opinion on something, I'm allowed to change my opinion on somethign based on new information, so afford that to not only me but to everyone else here on the forum.

I understand you and others may have a large investment in SL, stores and entire livings at it, while some of us may not have (yet). Believe me, I take all that into account and I am not blind to that or unsympathetic. It's just people just state things, but dont' support their statements, or neglect to just spell out their real issues with any of LL's actions.

Edited by Codex Alpha

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When I was young, kids (teens under 18) could get two "most common jobs":

- Delivering Newspapers (as if that is still a thing, NOT!)

- Working at certain business that specifically allowed hiring young teens. In the US, an example of this was "Baskin-Robbins" (an ice cream parlor).

- Older teens, possibly 16+, could work in "Fast Food".

It's even wayyyyy more open now.

Restaurants, retail, grocery stores, lifeguarding, day camps, food service/fast food, swimming instructors, baristas, blogging/social media, babysitting, movie theaters, golf courses, kennels and shelters, dog walking/sitting (they can make a LOT with that), tutoring, government (National Park Service), office work, lawn care, snow removal, libraries, YouTube, streaming, etc. etc.

Considering the insane cost of living up here, I'm not entirely surprised at all that kids are working full-on jobs with serious responsibilities these days, sad as it sounds. Those cell phone bills don't pay themselves. 😄 

Whether or not they'll be interested in Second Life on mobile, though - I dunno. Maybe if it's good enough to compete with all the other stuff vying for their attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

It's this old SL fuddy duddy mentality I speak of that doesn't help. Although there are many reasons why it didn't go where it should have, to me it all boiled down to lack of professionalism, and absolute HATRED of the groups of users that would have come to their platform. Oh well.

Lately I've been playing a game on my phone. It's fun, it's engaging and addictive.

There are reasons it's addictive. None of the things that make it addictive are a part of SL any longer.

Let me break it down... Gambling. There's an element of chance in the game I play, in the form of loot boxes and set rewards, but are random. Like, you will get an xyz item, but it will be any xyz item.

There's also burst rewards. If you wait long enough, the game will reward certain things you set up. You also have to manage those bursts once they happen. In other words engagement.

Even Youtube uses engagement tactics by showing you yet another cat video or whatever (I don't know what you look at.. but Youtube does).

SL generally needs finer controls for building that require some real estate (by this I mean screen size). How will these new users -want- to do things like build or decorate a house if it's a nightmare to place a vase on a table?

Better yet, what about clothes, make-up, hair? You know one of the main things to do in SL. Just about every clothing maker lets everything default to right hand attachment. So even if they contribute to the economy, they'll get pretty frustrated the 10th or 200th time everything detaches when they put something else on.

Okay, so those are a few of the issues, but there's more!

The other engagement with phone apps is social. And let's face it, the most popular and well traveled 'social' apps are for hooking up. Something they won't be able to do easily, since they get to only go to the sanitized SL.

There may be a small, niche market for an SL phone app, but it's not gonna hold the same revenue stream that bog standard PC/Mac SL does.

EDIT: I forgot about buying L$. People on mobiles, that are used to paying to get whatever type of spacebux or doodad they use, will likely balk at having to pay a minimum of $2.50 and have the added transaction fee. Most games that charge for their spacebux have a flat, set amount, with discounts the more you buy. SL charges more the more you buy.

Edited by Roxy Couturier
added a thought
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's even wayyyyy more open now.

Restaurants, retail, grocery stores, lifeguarding, day camps, food service/fast food, swimming instructors, baristas, blogging/social media, babysitting, movie theaters, golf courses, kennels and shelters, dog walking/sitting (they can make a LOT with that), tutoring, government (National Park Service), office work, lawn care, snow removal, libraries, YouTube, streaming, etc. etc.

Considering the insane cost of living up here, I'm not entirely surprised at all that kids are working full-on jobs with serious responsibilities these days, sad as it sounds. Those cell phone bills don't pay themselves. 😄 

Whether or not they'll be interested in Second Life on mobile, though - I dunno. Maybe if it's good enough to compete with all the other stuff vying for their attention.

I forgot lifeguard and babysitting, those existed in olden times too!

Hopefully most "kids" get their cells paid on the "family plan".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There are strict laws here about employing kids. It's not a common thing.

Where *I* live, if you see a school age teen spending money, they got it by selling stolen goods, and they are spending it on black market cigarettes and vodka, from a corner shop that doesn't care that selling illegally imported goods is a crime as is selling booze and smokes to kids.

You certainly wouldn't HIRE any of them to do anything, as they would rob you blind.

"Mommy, can I have $99 a year for a premium subscription to a kinky pron simulator, and $230 a month to rent my own virtual land,  and another $100 for a cool avatar, and some clothes, plus the 30 % Awful Mac Tax?"

"No, by the way, you're adopted, pack your bags, we're sending you back to the orphanage."

Wow, I am glad I don't live where you live then. Sounds really sad.

I would ask you to consider stretching your frame of reference a bit, though, because everyone doesn't live where you live.

Wrt the parents paying for consoles and games, I apologize, I thought you were the one who mentioned that back upthread. I did not look back to confirm though. I *did* see the part that you reposted here, though, it was just right below the sentence that I quoted. I do read the whole quote of every post in threads in which I participate, though honestly my attention to detail and reading comprehension are not that great.

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Can confirm. Plenty of teens in my state get summer jobs or maintain part-time work through the school year. Some places throughout the US (cough Florida cough) are even easing hourly work restrictions for teens 16 and up so they can cram more hours in before school. Outside of the US - probably a bit more rare.

Many do it to help out around the house or just cover their own entertainment expenses or start saving up for college. Some just do it for the flex (I cannot tell you how many fake Louis Vuitton bags I have seeeeeeen...😆). And yeah, with things like gaming and lootboxes and gachas and in-game purchases and things - sure some do swipe the ole credit card and deal with the consequences later, but a lot of kids genuinely do have their own funds and spend whatever they aren't saving for some other purpose. Will they spend it on Second Life - I dunno. Roblox and other stuff - probably.

I know here, you can start working at 14. I didn't get my first job until about 17 (it didn't last, tho) and I was pretty far behind as a result (took longer to get my first car, etc. - other kids had that locked down by senior year).

For years we gave my nephew some kind of online bucks or another for his b-day and Christmas.

My sister and I both started working in our mid-teens, too, and we both had to pay for everything related to our cars. We lived in a very rural area and both got our license as soon as we could, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I forgot lifeguard and babysitting, those existed in olden times too!

Hopefully most "kids" get their cells paid on the "family plan".

Assuming the family can afford a family plan, probably. Some might just be running around with some cheapo pay-as-you-go phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Yes, they do ... summer jobs, but that is strict regulated in the amount they can earn, period of job and if you as kid exceed the limitations, you have to pay taxes like any other employed adult person. Plus, where I live, there is a compulsary school attendance till the age of 18 years.

I live in the US, and we have the same sorts of laws, but kids from 14 up quite often have jobs; the rules loosen up as the teens get older, so they can work more, and as teens get older I think a larger percentage of them work.

Here, at least for federal taxes, if you make over a certain amount of money you have to file your taxes, but a teen would have to be pulling in some serious pay to actually owe any taxes, I think. State and local taxes vary quite a lot.

TBH, blah blah blah kids this, kids that.

Money for this mobile app could have been used to improve:

a. their still hamster powered servers

b. iron out the bugs of the viewer

c. looking out for a newer engine as OpenGL is as old as the cobble stones in my street.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

You can't disagree with a position that was never stated by anyone in this topic, No one made that claim. I did pose that it may be part of LL's interest to try to lure the older kids from Roblox to SL when they're ready - by their favourite tool - MOBILE (60% of Roblox users access it through MOBILE)

Sorry, I suppose I was not careful enough about language; I was compressing a couple steps there. So, to clarify:

I am not sure all those millions of Roblox users "will age out of Roblox soon, and will be looking for more adult, more advanced platforms to gravitate to," but while I made an assumption with this, I sure got the impression that you felt they would be longing deeply for this new thing, with the passion they currently have for Roblox. This is the 'excitedly waiting' part, sorry for not making it explicit.

I do seem to have read several times in this thread about how much these kids and young people in general love their mobiles, and how heavily they rely on them. I see that first hand all the time. So I do not disagree that making something for mobiles is in general a bad idea. However, and I say this in complete ignorance of mobile games, but a lot of frustration trying to anything close to what I can do on my desktop using mobile apps indicates to me that any app, including one for SL, has to be extremely streamlined and with limited options for creative play.

The last part of the compressed sequence (let's call it a syllogism maybe?) is that I am not so convinced that whatever this kids/young adults ache for to replace Roblox matches up all that well with Second Life, esp considering the access limitations we already know about and the likely limitations that any mobile experience will impose on using SL.

I hope that makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You will find it browsing apps in the app store 😂

Searching for what? I would be surprised anyone would run across it as 'Hot App' or 'Top App.' Or do you mean actually searching specifically for the SL app? Yeah, that would work for sure, but my whole question is, how would they even know to look for it? How are they going to run across it to even know it exists?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I still would be interested in hearing how the people who think the mobile app will attract new people think these new users will even know SL or the app exist?

My thoughts about it: Just like they find the other platforms.
Be actively present on social media. Run targeted ads there. Blog, vlog, a few funny TikTok clips.
Most people in other worlds know already about the existence of the available wolds already.
The word will spread there once the phone app is released and turns out to be any good. When a few cool kids like it, the rest will follow. Think in high school level mechanics.

Running ads in newspapers or on tv will not work in 2025.

Edited by Sid Nagy

47 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

You seem to think you could have made Sansar a success.

No II don't, it was a bloody stupid money pit fiasco idea from the get-go.

48 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Yes, the SL users of Sansar also claimed it would fail if it wasn't 18+

They were right, trying to make it PG hastened it's demise.

49 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

what an insult when SL has so much more to offer.

Like claiming the right to invade peoples private property?

If PG is so entertaining and popular, why is G rated land almost worthless? Why is so much of it abandoned? 

51 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Who are these failed artists you speak of?

The ones who went to sansar mostly.

52 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Come on, man, you're out of line.

Forum rules prevent me from listing any of the "Failed Artiste Wannbes" around here, but I certainly could. Starting with one oaf who has made comments about u mapping that reveal their knowledge of 3D modelling could be written in neon letters 6 feet high on the back of a postage stamp. One of the really tiny Victorian ones.

55 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I'm as pissed off as you about that, believe me.

No, you're p*ssed off that a useless experiment designed for failed artiste wannabes failed, I'm p*ssed off it was ever started and that SecondLifers had to pay for it, especially p*ssed off that the CEO at the time basically stated that SL would stay open as long as it was needed to finance a platform where SecondLifers were not wanted.

59 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

neglect to just spell out their real issues with any of LL's actions.

I've never failed to explain that I dislike "self proclaimed public enemies of SL who want to turn it into a first person shooter for toxic teen machotards", and proponents of "moron-tech" like the web cam based trojan malware auto-gurning system, or CrapGPT Artificial Idiocy spambots, or the system LL use to "listen to their users" that allows these public enemies of SL to bend LL's ear and which results in colossal wastes of time, effort, and money that could be spent fixing the actual 20 yr old problems around here.

I've never failed to mention my dislike for users being LIED to, such as "We MUST have PBR to have mirrors".

9 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

TBH, blah blah blah kids this, kids that.

Money for this mobile app could have been used to improve:

a. their still hamster powered servers

b. iron out the bugs of the viewer

c. looking out for a newer engine as OpenGL is as old as the cobble stones in my street.

Does that actually get them many or any new users though? Perhaps it helps retain existing ones? It just seems like the things you mention are incremental to the experience, not exponential.

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Ny thoughts about it: Just like they find the other platforms.
Be actively present on social media. Run targeted ads there. Blog, vlog, a few funny TikTok clips.
Most people in other worlds know already about the existence of the available wolds already.
The word will spread there once the phone app is released and turns out to be any good. When a few cool kids like it, the rest will follow. Think in high school level mechanics.

Running ads in newspapers or on tv will not work in 2025.

Honestly, can you see LL doing any of the kinds of promotion you describe? I can't, and certainly don't feel they can do it effectively.

I can more word-of-mouth from people who try it and like it. So far I guess people from those other worlds have not much liked it, or told other people who then came and liked it. At least I have not run across any of them, but then the people everywhere I go are several years old to in the mid-teens, and never really any new people.

I guess if the mobile experience is incredible, it might go viral. I just don't have a lot of faith in that. I sincerely hope I am wrong, though, given the traffic in SL I am honestly amazed LL has not gone broke and out of business, and I would like to see SL gain more users and hopefully continue to make enough money for someone to be interested in keeping it going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

but I also understand that more users means more opportunities, more friends, more adventures

Oh yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to chat to Gen Z's. Imagine the conversations one can have with people who answer the question "What state is Utah in" with "erm... LA?", or "Who fought in the American Civil War" with "America and Russia", or my personal favourite.

"When was the War of 1812"    "Erm the 1980's?"

Yeah, MobileLife Crapbloxer Gen Z's, welcome to the future of SL.

3 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I sincerely hope I am wrong, though, given the traffic in SL I am honestly amazed LL has not gone broke and out of business, and I would like to see SL gain more users and hopefully continue to make enough money for someone to be interested in keeping it going.

That can be a bit of a perception thing. SL is a big place with lots of nooks and crannies. What you see may be places that aren't consistently well trafficked, but the place 300 sims over is hopping.

• Like 1