Anatomy of Trolls and How to Deal with Them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I figured you for the "misandry type"!

Oh god, I do that too of course!

I am a veritable catalogue of nastiness, Love! You'll find my pic next to any of these definitions in the dictionary!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I frequently see you compare apples to oranges though.

Which is to say, not all the ways we can hurt another are equal, so I have doubts Scylla was doing the exact same thing she rails against others for doing.

Do you know what it was in reference to? Maybe you shouldn't put you nose in where you don't know what it was about?

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I frequently see you compare apples to oranges though.

Which is to say, not all the ways we can hurt another are equal, so I have doubts Scylla was doing the exact same thing she rails against others for doing.

Do you know what it was in reference to? Maybe you shouldn't put you nose in where you don't know what it was about?

/me sits down with a fresh cup of tea and eagerly looks at the screen, awaiting the story about 'mean Scylla'.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you, as I definitely do not belong there.

I am, as you correctly discern, very human indeed. But I am also self-aware enough to know that I frequently fail, and I do my best to acknowledge that, and remedy my mistakes.

So, although I'm not sure what you are specifically responding to, please do accept my very genuine apologies if I hurt (rather than merely disagreed with) you.

But yeah, no pedestals please. I get vertigo.

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

a) Dizziness and problems with balance

b) Blotchy skin

c) Constipation

55 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Context, read the context. You can do it!

(Is joke)

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't either, Arielle. But I don't doubt that it happened. God knows, I screw up too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

The voices in your head are drowning out what I wrote.

At times, the voices in MY head sing as a beautiful, harmonious, mellifluous choir.

They're still wrong as feck!

• Haha 3

• Moles

Hi gang!

Thank you for the general tone of this thread. It's going in interesting directions and people are listening to each other, even though it's obvious that there's a lot of disagreement. Please keep doing things that avoid flaming and personal attacks, no matter how tempting they might be.

• Thanks 4

So where were we?

Second Life.

Trolls.

Anatomy.  Physiology? Physiognomy? Phrenology? Phlebotomy? Who knows what was intended?!?  I like to think "Origin", as in "head canon" was meant, at least somewhat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't either, Arielle. But I don't doubt that it happened. God knows, I screw up too.

One of those things where you misrepresented what I said when you were posting to someone else. It was a deal at the time while in the thick of a controversial topic but meant little in hindsight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

At times, the voices in MY head sing as a beautiful, harmonious, mellifluous choir.

They're still wrong as feck!

To be fair, the voices don't have to be discordant and shrill to be loud enough to drown out basic functionality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

One of those things where you misrepresented what I said when you were posting to someone else. It was a deal at the time while in the thick of a controversial topic but meant little in hindsight.

This is ringing a vague bell, because I think you did say something at the time, but I don't remember the full context.

It's entirely possible I misrepresented you, because I misread stuff too, but the odds are reasonably good that it was not intentional, or designed to "hurt."

Whatever the case, you really and truly do have my apologies for that. I value discussion and even disagreement -- and I appreciate the perspective you bring to this forum, even if I seldom agree with you -- but I am disappointed with myself when, as occasionally does happen, I fight "dirty."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

I'm always right. Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Another good one is “my opinions and beliefs might change over time, but not the fact that I am right” 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Whatever the case, you really and truly do have my apologies for that. I value discussion and even disagreement -- and I appreciate the perspective you bring to this forum, even if I seldom agree with you -- but I am disappointed with myself when, as occasionally does happen, I fight "dirty."

Scylla, don't you know that anything below the pedestal is mud?

Although, to be honest, I'm not certain you weren't being trolled here, in a thread about trolls, where the injured party clearly states that it is the [receiver's] personal responsibility for any hurt one receives, not on the giver of that hurt. Then later asks for their apology for a hurt they received.. It feels like 'this rule only applies to people I've harmed, but not to those that harm me. It's everyone's responsibility but mine!'

YMMV on this troll road

Edited by Roxy Couturier
Added a missing word in brackets [ ]
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Although, to be honest, I'm not certain you weren't being trolled here, in a thread about trolls, where the injured party clearly states that it is the [receiver's] personal responsibility for any hurt one receives, not on the giver of that hurt. Then later asks for their apology for a hurt they received.. It feels like 'this rule only applies to people I've harmed, but not to those that harm me. It's everyone's responsibility but mine!'

Yeah, the irony didn't escape me.

That said, I try to respond by my own standards, and I'd rather be "wrong" in offering up an unnecessary apology, than be "wrong" by refusing to give one where maybe it is deserved.

I'm more than willing to give Arielle the benefit of the doubt on this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I labeled you a "troll" because I think you sometimes post provocative things that you believe will get a reaction from some of the regulars posters here.

You are also in this thread defending and acting as an appologist for trolls in general.

Do I? Am I? Are you sure some of that behaviour your Mom manifested isn't showing up in you now?
I"ve repeated my position over and over and over, no matter what the topic is here, but frequently I"m told this and told that...

Like people constantly trying to convince me that my reality isn't real... hmm what did we call that earlier?

Your use of the term "white-knight"  is an older, gender-based one that I think no longer fits onto modern discussions about online behavior. I take it to mean anyone, regardless of gender, who comes to the defense of others who might not need to be defended, as a form of virtue-sigaling and calling attention to themself.others.

Nope, the term 'white knight' is still strongly in use as I suggested, and I don't get my definitions of terms and words from the denizens of SL forums, which makes up 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population.

The same applies for many terms used here. I notice I'm the only one supporting my arguments with reasoning, statements and when appropriate - sources.

You and others can argue this until the cows come home, but on this you're just wrong. Now, will you provide me with a counter-source that I could read up for myself, and are you ethical enough to concede a point when you find out you are wrong?

It won't mean that I agree with you, but perhaps some individual somewhere has decided to try to co-opt the phrase in a book or blog somewhere - would be interesting to see where you and others get this from...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Truth: Because even a broken watch is right at least once a day (maybe even twice)!

Sssssshhhh! (said gently)

This is Truth and Reconciliation Day on the forums!

🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The biggest thing I've learned from this thread is, just because someone

- Presents their arguments as one imagines a Troll would

- Refuses to acknowledge the meaning of words, as a Troll possibly might

- Uses tactics that the general consensus agrees may be classified as "trying to get a response / reaction"

- Argues in the defense of what most would call Trolls (acts as a White Knight for Trolls)

- Assigns blame to victims

etc.

..does NOT mean they are a Troll!

TODAY I LEARNED

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Scylla, don't you know that anything below the pedestal is mud?

YMMV on this troll road

You're imagining things. I didn't ask for an apology, only pointed out the poster hadn't been as forthcoming in past as the thread was being led to believe. Don't make it out to be more then there was. 

Besides, if one understood the dynamics of apologies, one would realize there is more to be gained from apologizing then from being apologized to. One reason I was quick to apologize for putting the poster on a pedestal is It benefits me and I'll not be so prone to do it with another in the future.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is Truth and Reconciliation Day on the forums!

🙂

* checks copy of 1984 *

Sorry, the closest I got is "Pravda Means Truth", an article by Heinlein.  (There was another speculative fiction author who wrote often about propaganda, but his name slips me.  Martin someone.)

The below is a "Positive" statement:

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Besides, if one understood the dynamics of apologies, one would realize there is more to be gained from apologizing then from being apologized to.

The below is a "Negative" statement, and cancels out the above "Positive" statement:

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

One reason I was quick to apologize for putting the poster on a pedestal is It benefits me and I'll not be so prone to do it with another in the future.

"Apologizing" for putting someone on a pedestal is not actually an apology TO the person; because, you are in essence apologizing for "over-estimating" them! This is like a "back-handed compliment".

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.