New Article: "SL's loyal users embrace its decaying software and no-fun imperfections"

15 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

To be fair, there's such a thing as overdoing it, too.

That's the thing. People wonder why the alternate view starts to rise or become extreme, it's because they don't realize that they have become extreme, and much like "The Force", balance (and as a result, sanity for everyone) must be restored.

I am glad to see the revamping/update of the home page of SL to really reflect the adventures, fun, creativity, games and such that SL has to offer - it is a good improvement - and clean of any social or political agendas.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

I'd even go as far as saying the article is just a bunch of politically loaded click bait. It just sounds like someone read some threads about SL dying in the forums, installed it for 10 minutes and TPed around the world randomly, then decided to try a political angle and wrote an article about SL dying. And yes, I agree, most of it sounds like someone prompted chat-GPT with "tell me why SL is dying through a queer lens" It also reads like a games journalist who failed to clear a video game tutorial and then writes some intellectual cope about how "the game sucks."

The article could also have been written 5-10+ years ago, and finally posted after being edited with the latest buzzwords (oops, "neologisms").

I'm still waiting on what "reworlding" is, whether it being in the "last sentence" makes it significant, and whether we should care..is it "terraforming"? Is it "jumping into a virtual world"?  Is it "redesigning a virtual world"? etc.

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We need to keep pressing the issue because this exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025

Well now, on the surface, this article appears to be political.

That could just be my own opinion.

Carry on! 🙂

Thank you so very much! ❤️ (I cannot emphasize how much I like your contributions lately. Please come back!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But if the general conclusion is, "BS"..except for giving us something to discuss, and "ooh, aah" over the flowery language and neologisms, does it "help" or "hurt" Second Life?

I vaguely remember it had a few things correct and even some positive take-away in the end, but I kinda forgot about those.

I'm not making an absolute claim that it must be an AI-written thing, but it definitely reads like one and it leaves me with the general satisfaction of having dined at a fast food restaurant or on a discount pack of donuts (i.e. mostly dissatisfaction and instant regret).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I vaguely remember it had a few things correct and even some positive take-away in the end, but I kinda forgot about those.

I'm not making an absolute claim that it must be an AI-written thing, but it definitely reads like one and it leaves me with the general satisfaction of having dined at a fast food restaurant or on a discount pack of donuts (i.e. mostly dissatisfaction and instant regret).

Yeah, but you still can't resist and you'll eat every last one of those donuts. Even though the self loathing started almost as soon as you tucked your legs under the yellowing table, and picked up the stained, dog eared menu.

So to be fair, the article did have something to say about the current SL experience.

45 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
47 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

We need to keep pressing the issue because this exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025

You're getting trolled by a fictional wikipedia article.

Expand  

Let's not discuss it - fictional or not, now it's just discussing politics.

Yes, I don't want to discuss it -- I only bring it up to counter the assertion by Paul & Codex (that rights for gays and others have been emphasized too much),  thereby demonstrating the danger of a heteronormative society mentioned in the article.

26 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Ok, at least we didn't descend into "Taco Bell" territory. (Stomach pains, running for the toilet, etc.)

5 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

Yeah, but you still can't resist and you'll eat every last one of those donuts. Even though the self loathing started almost as soon as you tucked your legs under the yellowing table, and picked up the stained, dog eared menu.

So to be fair, the article did have something to say about the current SL experience.

I dunno, I HAD to MAKE myself read the entire article, just to feel like I was participating properly and giving the article a "fair shake".  If not for that, I would have pushed myself away from your figurative table, and walked out the figurative door.

• Like 1

My first read of the article was a put-off. Too many big words and concepts. Too many mistakes.

The article mentions three SL residents by name, and I was able to find two of them on search and see that they were experienced users. I think she should have asked them to proof-read and fact-check her article, but that's me.

The article is very good from a techno wizard god-in-the-machine perspective. I hope it will make some readers curious enough to visit. 

• Like 1

Trash is trash, whether it's AI regurgitating it or not. Most prepackaged food is better left uneaten, too. It's both inhuman, and part of the SL experience.

But I'm old enough to remember when serious papers were written on SL, being worthwhile and readable, back in frontier days. They aren't coming back.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If not for that, I would have ...

Some people say

Rationalisation is the enemy of self awareness.

or put another way

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ineffable Mote said:

Trash is trash, whether it's AI regurgitating it or not. Most prepackaged food is better left uneaten, too. It's both inhuman, and part of the SL experience.

But I'm old enough to remember when serious papers were written on SL, being worthwhile and readable, back in frontier days. They aren't coming back.

You say that, but lots of things have made come backs

• Vinyl and Turntables
  • Flip Phones
  • Parachute Pants and Big Shoulders
  • Rick Astley
  • The Mullet - or maybe that's just me.

We could get SL on that list if we tried.

• Like 1

Just now, JacksonBollock said:

You say that, but lots of things have made come backs

• Vinyl and Turntables
  • Flip Phones
  • Parachute Pants and Big Shoulders
  • Rick Astley
  • The Mullet - or maybe that's just me.

We could get SL on that list if we tried.

Wouldn't SL have to "go away" first?

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wouldn't SL have to "go away" first?

Not completely, for every comeback there is always the small group of zealots who have kept the torch of faith alive through the dark and lonely wilderness years.

As Rick himself said.

"I've been stood up, messed around, and taken for a fool
But next time 'round, I'm gonna change the rules
And I don't care about the things that people say
It's you I think about each and every day"

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

You're getting trolled by a fictional wikipedia article.

You can look up the actual website for this and see it's very real.  I only posted Wikipedia  as a synopsis for clarity.

• Thanks 1

I read the article and really, didn't need to go beyond its title for a synopsis of its contents. Overall I don't disagree with it.

"SL's loyal users embrace its decaying software and no-fun imperfections"

My quibble though is that it is decaying due to the Lab's inattention to certain areas of the platform. Should they pay attention to reducing the learning curve with changes to the UI"s and getting the creators and stores using common delivery systems, SL would be little different from a host of other older games and platforms that have upgraded to make them more user friendly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You can look up the actual website for this and see it's very real.  I only posted Wikipedia  as a synopsis for clarity.

It's real enough it's made the national news .......  oh wait, nevermind-----

But seriously, where do you go for truth these days? I have a hard time trusting anyone or any news source. I miss the days when I could trust in the validity of what was being offered. 

I tried to read the article posted in the OP, but I didn't get far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:
14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's real enough it's made the national news .......  oh wait, nevermind-----

But seriously, where do you go for truth these days? I have a hard time trusting anyone or any news source. I miss the days when I could trust in the validity of what was being offered. 

I tried to read the article posted in the OP, but I didn't get far.

Good point...what news source do you trust these days?

I can only go by what I'm seeing being enacted according to recent laws moving in a scary direction, and so I know this agenda is real.

These changes in law can be researched with accuracy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How are recent news, or trustable news sources relevant? Just asking..

The "article" is neither "news", nor is it intended to be "news".

I was certain Scylla plucked that article from CNN.  No?

• Haha 1