Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So what do they mean by privacy then?

You have access to the TOS. YOU look it up.  I will say I won't be the one surprised by what they mean.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And this kind of thing is an example of why I hate this word.

It should be possible to discuss all of this without boxing people up into obnoxious and condescending categories that posit some kind of stupidly mythical "culture war."

"Large cohort of individuals genetically predisposed to having a high disgust reflex" just isn't as catchy or concise, I guess. I didn't mean to offend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

You have access to the TOS. YOU look it up.  I will say I won't be the one surprised by what they mean.

So sounds like we should assume the worst then. I been kind of coming to that conclusion already but  good to get some validation. thx

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So sounds like we should assume the worst then. I been kind of coming to that conclusion already but  good to get some validation. thx

Why would you not assume the worst and then act accordingly. It's really NOT that hard.

If I was chatting about something that I didn't want LL to know about or another resident I would do it somewhere other than on Second Life.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

You can try to find another platform of course, but i think you'll have to enter the darkweb soon. The governments are looking at nearly all adult presentations on the web, and enforcing more rules at the hostingcompanies.
There are no normies against you, it are the weirdo's forcing for actions by providers.
The green pastures at the other side of the fence will also be mowed.
The best interest for involved people is think about what's acceptable for them. Sim on a stick might be the best option for some.

That would be interesting to see. Second Life (and by extension OpenSim) wasn't really designed with low-bandwidth connections in mind. It would take some optimizations (such as peer to peer asset distribution, locally hosted regions, etc.) in order to make such a thing viable.

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

Why would you not assume the worst and then act accordingly. It's really NOT that hard.

Because I am slow and trusting and lazy in not wanting to change from the familiar unless I absolutely have to. That and if I was to assume the worst, which you think I should, then why do you stay?

28 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I don't care what LL thinks it means. I'm the one with the money. I'll spend it elsewhere if I feel that my personal chat with my own friends is being listened in on by third parties. IDC if it's to save the children or the planet. LL is not entitled to my money.

While I understand what you are saying, it is a known secret that all private chats are monitored and probably local too.    A few minute search with goggle will show this. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BriannaLovey said:

That would be interesting to see. Second Life (and by extension OpenSim) wasn't really designed with low-bandwidth connections in mind. It would take some optimizations (such as peer to peer asset distribution, locally hosted regions, etc.) in order to make such a thing viable.

I used to run my locally hosted Opensim grid on my home connection which back then was 1MB down and 600KB up. It was good enough for myself and 2 or 3 friends. Though I haven't checked how much it requires now, it is probably not a whole lot more with all the mesh.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Because I am slow and trusting and lazy in not wanting to change from the familiar unless I absolutely have to. That and if I was to assume the worst, which you think I should, then why do you stay?

Because it doesn't bother me. I have nothing to hide so monitor away I say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

"If you got nothing to hide you got nothing to fear" Famous last words before being crushed under authoritarian boots.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

While I understand what you are saying, it is a known secret that all private chats are monitored and probably local too. 

Logged, yes. Actively monitored, No.

People get banned because they get reported for doing bad things.

Imagine you are in your home and you tell a joke to your friend that some person might find offensive. You'd never say it infront of that person. But between you and your friend it is just harmless, funny gossip. In the current system, you have basically a 0% chance of getting banned.

Now in the new system some AI built in california scans your private chat, decides what you have said is likely to offend. It then sends that message to a person who was never part of that chat, but has the power to ban you, and happens to get offended. You now have a non-zero% chance of being banned.

You can no longer gossip in your own home. Grats.

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chery Amore said:

I might kind of add and don't be a belligerent, know it all, smart a** , insult thrower to them at every opportunity.. especially when under investigation yourself.  Not that I think they lean this way, no way of knowing.  I do know I've worked for companies that have a hard internal line about abuse of an employee.. including verbal.  With TOS they basically say they can cut you off when they want for any reason. Go down near the bottom and read about termination and user conduct.

Linden Lab may suspend or terminate your Account at any time for any reason

Yes, even after all the tedious, lawyeristic and very specific words they use, and even for those of us who bother to slug through it all... at the end of the day, this one phrase means everything else is moot.

Another related virtual platform also had the same clause within their TOS.

The TOS is followed only when convenient, when it doesn't take too many staff resources, and whether or not the platform benefits by looking the other way on many violations. In practice, they could ignore their own TOS to suit their favourite users, who would vocally declare how proud they were of breaking the TOS, and they remained intact.

But other individuals who were deemed unfit to continue in the community were simply banned - with NO actual TOS violations - and of this same clause.  A staff member further went on to say "Well we're all guests here, if you don't like the party, there's other parties (platforms) to go to".

So yeah people who cling too hard to the TOS, or want to argue every nuance are wasting their time. That one clause pretty much says it all. So users either make the best of it or leave. And if they leave - tell everyone they know why they left - until the only people left on the platform is 5 people.

Most users though, the average users having fun, won't have to worry about that clause. It's just a coverage clause so they don't get lawyered out of doing anything about offenders on the platform, especially those who like skirting the rules, but are causing great damage.

44 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'd vote for a lion-less section of the forums, just to avoid the worrysome urge to post after every other reply.
Talking and insinuating about others, smile and vile in the fake sweetness.

It's the worst, when users skirt the rules and make stabs at people who they know can't respond without breaking the rules, or say a slight then 'wish you well' sort of stuff. Some are really good at it.

14 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

We're headed that way, and in only a few years you will get what you wish for.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

While I understand what you are saying, it is a known secret that all private chats are monitored and probably local too.    A few minute search with goggle will show this. 

They're stored on the servers for a while, certainly, as part of the simulator logs (I don't know for how long they are kept) but I don't think anyone is actually monitoring them.  They're available if someone needs to read them, but I don't think there are  thousands of Lindens sitting around reading everyone's IMs in real time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

"If you got nothing to hide you got nothing to fear" Famous last words before being crushed under authoritarian boots.

Probably helps if one shills for the Authority since then the stay of execution/crushing will be delayed for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Probably helps if one shills for the Authority since then the stay of execution/crushing will be delayed for a bit.

Lmao real. I couldn't imagine having such a casual attitude towards corporations and governments slowing creeping more and more into a personal lives otherwise.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Lmao real. I couldn't imagine having such a casual attitude towards corporations and governments slowing creeping more and more into a personal lives otherwise.

SL isn't your personal life. All you have to do is shut the browser down and they are out of your face, out of your personal life. It is YOUR choice to utilize the platform for your entertainment. NOT A RIGHT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

You probably should read more history.  You may have nothing to  hide from the current overloads.  What about the next ones?   It's usually never about what you say today, to todays overlords.  Most of the time it's what you said yesterday to tomorrow's overlords. 

History has supported this truth over and over.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Me.. putting my State approved undies on. Only have adult avatars, and don't visit A regions really, but better safe then sorry, and it's kind of funny

NOTE: Default Avatars have these undies apparently already.. I'm just using the default skins :D

image.png.4a075e081f720ceaa4a2c5ed201cc35c.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

SL isn't your personal life. All you have to do is shut the browser down and they are out of your face, out of your personal life. It is YOUR choice to utilize the platform for your entertainment. NOT A RIGHT.

Yeah we have these little thing called "Consumer rights" and "Privacy rights" in my country. I have every right to be concerned and be vocal about my privacy in regards in any and all products I choose to use/consume. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Yeah we have these little thing called "Consumer rights" and "Privacy rights" in my country. I have every right to be concerned and be vocal about my privacy in regards in any and all products I choose to use/consume. 😀

I never said you couldn't be vocal and you seem to be doing a good job of it so carry on. :)

Life is to short to spend it in a state of perpetual anxiety, when the time comes vote in your local communities and countries, secure your privacy, do whatever it takes.. and if you are of the mind that no matter what you do, nothing will change, then there is little reason to torture yourself over it all.  Take a breath, have a hotdog, and enjoy the moment.

Snapshot_306.thumb.jpg.6dffb82a15af3f3d54e9f10751900d3b.jpg

Worse case scenario at the moment, there is no mustard.  Enjoy 'yer hotdog 🥰

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2