Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

No, nobody's rocking that style in a club. It's not designed for that. Just like I wouldn't wear one of my formal evening gowns in a casual reggae spot. 😂 (though, I WILL wear evening wear out shopping - I do not care one bit about that!).

Speaking of shopping, we need a "not your usual fashion" shopping/fashion thread somewhere (or maybe we have one). If someone ever gets around to that, feel free to tag me for funsies.

Define "not your usual fashion"? 

Here is a very simple solution, if you can't tell they are an adult. Just ask their age. If you feel like they are lying, kick them out. There doesn't need to be a whole thread to talk about this subject. As I said in the past, there are some adults IRL you can't tell if they are adults or not, and there are some children that you can't tell if they are a child or not. Also as I previously stated before, I can relate and understand.  I am 34 IRL and I look like I am still in my teens, so I usually get IDed. So if you are having troubles ascertaining if they are an adult or not. Just ask. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not even a "jazz club" etc., or an old-school club like the eponymous "Frank's"?

Maybe. I don't know anything about Frank's as I haven't been there since gowns were flexi, but isn't that a formal joint?

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I would wear that at the club I go to. Most nights have themes but a lot of people come casual or wearing regular clothes.

Oh, if you like that style, definitely go check that store in-world. There's a lot there that could fit well in a more casual club environment.

Here's the Flickr and don't forget to peek at the Outlet (I think there's a teleport from the main TP spot, but it's been a few months since I've been there).

Valentina E. Designs

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not even a "jazz club" etc., or an old-school club like the eponymous "Frank's"?

Maybe. I don't know anything about Frank's as I haven't been there since gowns were flexi, but isn't that a formal joint?

I think so, I only know about it because of posts on the Forum.  (Most recently, I believe it was drama posts.)

I was just using it as an example of a "formal joint" club, where I assume those types of clothing such as you posted are appropriate.

24 minutes ago, Monika Skydancer said:

Yeah but then there's nothing in the new TOS that says you gotta look 30+ either.

No but if one has to look and dress to appear safely over 18 then best to shoot for that age and wind up appearing around 25.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Here is a very simple solution, if you can't tell they are an adult. Just ask their age. If you feel like they are lying, kick them out. There doesn't need to be a whole thread to talk about this subject. As I said in the past, there are some adults IRL you can't tell if they are adults or not, and there are some children that you can't tell if they are a child or not. Also as I previously stated before, I can relate and understand.  I am 34 IRL and I look like I am still in my teens, so I usually get IDed. So if you are having troubles ascertaining if they are an adult or not. Just ask. 

Ask them their age? lol

"Hi, hey how old are you? you look 15"

"Naw, I'm 19"

/me looks at her to see if she's lying. Decides she is though I have no idea what criteria I used.

"You're lying! Out you go!

/me kicks out avatar and bans the from the sim

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

We obviously do need a thread on this as it's 24 pages long. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

Ask them their age? lol

"Naw, I'm 19"

/me looks at her to see if she's lying. Decides she is though I have no idea what criteria I used.

Mwah ... you can also check their rezz date. If you someone joined SL 16 years ago, that would not be a preteen/teen in RL.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Ask them their age? lol

"Naw, I'm 19"

Then what do you think should happen? How should adult avatars look? Like I basically gave you a common sense answer. So tell me what LL should do in this case? What should actually happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dorientje Woller said:

Mwah ... you can also check their rezz date. If you someone joined SL 16 years ago, that would not be a preteen/teen in RL.

I didn't think we were talking RL. Anyway kids in adult sims are in adult avatars for sure.

• Like 1

I think asking is a fair suggestion as it will, at the very least, contribute more to the picture.  The vocabulary, the tone, the general sense of maturity, these will all shape and colour the visual presentation.  Part of "presenting as a certain age" involves whether the writing or speaking voice wants to appear of-age.  A conversation will contribute more than the initial impression.  It's not perfect of course but any extra clues one can retrieve, as a business owner or a gate-keeper, is helpful.  Good faith on both sides really helps, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

Then what do you think should happen? How should adult avatars look? Like I basically gave you a common sense answer. So tell me what LL should do in this case? What should actually happen. 

Nothing unless there is supportive documentation that they are engaging in ***play. I suspect that is what will happen if someone AR's them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Define "not your usual fashion"? 

Niche fashion styles.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think so, I only know about it because of posts on the Forum.  (Most recently, I believe it was drama posts.)

I was just using it as an example of a "formal joint" club, where I assume those types of clothing such as you posted are appropriate.

Formal typically means evening gowns.

Speaking of fashion and not to derail further, perhaps some could try posting photos in different clothing/seasonal styles to see if that helps people guess their age more accurately. Athletic/sporty stuff, formal wear, business/suits, club wear, winter/skiing outfits, etc. Just for fun.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Then those of us who joined more recently could be screwed even if we go around looking like the Crypt Keeper. 😂 

Nothing unless there is supportive documentation that they are engaging in ***play. I suspect that is what will happen if someone AR's them.

Okay but what you like to happen?  

• Confused 1

People are getting mixed up with RL and SL. Why check their rez date? Their real age has no bearing on whether or not they should be in an adult sim. Do you really think someone who is really 16 is going to tell you that?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

You know you IM"d me inworld and I started a conversation with you because you asked and said you didn't want to ask on the forum. You very rudely just left the conversation in the middle of it,  never to come back to it.  I'm done engaging in your personal questions.

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

You know you IM"d me inworld and I started a conversation with you because you asked and said you didn't want to ask on the forum. You very rudely just left the conversation in the middle of it,  never to come back to it.  I'm done engaging in your personal questions.

Okay then. But you keep on putting down ideas, and not offering any sort of suggestions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Niche fashion styles.

Define nice fashion styles? Yeah, I can run around in here with a pale skin, all dressed up as a Goth or as now, African styled rock chick with braids and I am still considered a borderline case.

21 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I would wear that at the club I go to. Most nights have themes but a lot of people come casual or wearing regular clothes.

Everything I wear in the pictures I post here are outfits I wear to clubs, adult and moderate.  Almost never do I have T&A hanging out but I don't look like anyone's grandma either.  Tasteful is a word I use for how I dress.  Tacky is how I describe a lot of what I see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

5 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Read up

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Okay then. But you keep on putting down ideas, and not offering any sort of suggestions. 

Read up

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Also, this was for something separate. And I mean I got enough from what you said. I didn't leave you hanging or whatever. I asked, you answered. If you wanted to continue, you could have taken the initiative and asked me questions or stated your opinions on it. Like if you felt I did that, there is a simple solution to solve it. 

Just now, Dorientje Woller said:

Define nice fashion styles? Yeah, I can run around in here with a pale skin, all dressed up as a Goth or as now, African styled rock chick with braids and I am still considered a borderline case.

My post wasn't suggesting a thread based on age at all. Just places to shop for different niches (vintage, steampunk, futuristic, etc.). I suggested it on a whim based on the complaint (not just here, but in numerous other threads) about events and new releases being too same-y these days.

• Like 1

Okay but you gave me one answer to my questions, you never answered my question of what you would do. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Well, if they ARE engaged in AP then obviously a ban?  Pretty sure most would agree with that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Speaking of fashion and not to derail further,

I know it FEELS like derailing, however IMO as evidenced by the "Child or not?" thread, what clothing one uses is a factor in how the age is guessed.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.