Modesty Patch Discussion

6 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Actually, my potato avi has a Star Trek uniform (security officer), complete with appropriate insignia. The only A-rated sim I ever really visit is Retro Trek. My potato even has the old-school, Cage-era laser sidearm, from back before they called them "phasers".

Is your Potato avatar a Sontaran, from Doctor Who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sontaran

Posted (edited)

Woo-hoo~! Just made my own skin with built-in underwear and not just blackout panels of dubious geometry, and it actually looks tasteful and is good! I'd post pictures if not for the fact that it would be pictures of me in my underwear.

Just take my word for it, I did a good job. I now finally know how to make decent-looking underwear following the default SL UV map. Go me~!

I feel like I slew the Hydra or something.

Next on my list, make a version with Wonder Woman Underoos. Then every time I TP somewhere I can have the thrill of imagining someone might have noticed I'm secretly a superheroine if I didn't load fast enough.

Makes everything way more fun.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Woo-hoo~! Just made my own skin with built-in underwear and not just blackout panels of dubious geometry, and it actually looks tasteful and is good! I'd post pictures if not for the fact that it would be pictures of me in my underwear.

Just take my word for it, I did a good job. I now finally know how to make decent-looking underwear following the default SL UV map. Go me~!

I feel like I slew the Hydra or something.

Next on my list, make a version with Wonder Woman Underoos. Then every time I TP somewhere I can have the thrill of imagining someone might have noticed I'm secretly a superheroine if I didn't load fast enough.

Makes everything way more fun.

That's awesome , I want Underoos too!

• Like 2

I'm beta testing a new AVIL compliance body, and I have say, I'm pretty impressed with it but I have some questions for the Lindens about something I don't like.  Is there any way we can do away with the back strap? 

2024-06-09_12-24-51.PNG.20569a0480236509c02aded4a4bee279.PNG

It just doesn't look right on soe shirts and some dress, as well as some swimsuits.  An it really isn't covering up anything that needs to be hidden. 

frontpanel.jpg.3db37d47b4bb69c4e021e7561121f499.jpg

Here is the new body with just the front modesty panel covering up.  Would this be acceptable?

• Like 3

If you have questions for the Lindens, iirc they have already said several times that they aren’t going to get granular enough to directly outline the parameters nor weigh in on specific cases to say yes or no, so maybe submitting a feature request on the back strap and clarifying the levels of mesh detail for the top front of modesty patches might yield you some useful answers? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Madi Melodious said:

frontpanel.jpg.3db37d47b4bb69c4e021e7561121f499.jpg

Here is the new body with just the front modesty panel covering up.  Would this be acceptable?

You've literally just covered nips which i would think is the barest minimum. But what do I know, ask a linden. Do you know what a sports bra is? A lot of women wear them. Of all ages. You could go with something that size and stilll have a  believable avatar. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

If you have questions for the Lindens, iirc they have already said several times that they aren’t going to get granular enough to directly outline the parameters nor weigh in on specific cases to say yes or no, so maybe submitting a feature request on the back strap and clarifying the levels of mesh detail for the top front of modesty patches might yield you some useful answers? 

I already did.  I've submitted a feature request to clarification, but we also have some content creators and I want to know their option.  I have a body part with out the back strap, but the front panel.  I plan to wear that one.  If it's unacceptable then I will simply change to the other one.  

I'm also of the option they left this vague and want to see what we come up.  If someone goes over a limit, then they will say something.  

All my swimsuits are toast.  Even the most modest I have won't work without something on the panels hanging out.  

swimssuit.jpg.ff4bf28a83de2c5a466f5fb61272eb27.jpg

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I already did.  I've submitted a feature request to clarification, but we also have some content creators and I want to know their option.  I have a body part with out the back strap, but the front panel.  I plan to wear that one.  If it's unacceptable then I will simply change to the other one.  

I'm also of the option they left this vague and want to see what we come up.  If someone goes over a limit, then they will say something.  

All my swimsuits are toast.  Even the most modest I have won't work without something on the panels hanging out.  

Hopefully they will reply to the feature request with more information but I’m sure Governance also has other equally relevant work. It may be a combination of stance, visible mesh detail, overall presentation, situation, proximity and history so that assessing any one element, taken out of context, is meaningless. That may make it the most difficult for bad actors to ride the thin line of appearing in compliance but…not. If the equation doesn’t add up consistently, that’s probably actionable. That’s how I’m reading it.

My best friend in high school sewed and we had a skirt length limit in the school dress code, and she consistently played the ‘is this good? Ok how about now, how about that, what about this’ game. Feels familiar. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

There is a governance meeting this coming Thursday @2 pm.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

My best friend in high school sewed and we had a skirt length limit in the school dress code, and she consistently played the ‘is this good? Ok how about now, how about that, what about this’ game. Feels familiar. 

The swimsuit in my example is the most common swimsuit you will find anywhere in the world on kids in the age group my av represents.  As you can see in the example it is completely incompatible with the layers the lab wants.   The only way I can think of making a layer compatible would be a very narrow strip that covers a very thin part of the body between the legs.   

Or we could attach mesh parts to the swimsuit that cover the modestly layer parts that stick out.   Or make the modestly layer transformable to hide the parts that hang out.    These are only questions the lab can answer.  

The faq says we can wear swimsuit but the modestly layer requirement seems to say, "you can wear swimsuit but they have to look dorky."

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is a governance meeting this coming Thursday @2 pm.  

I plan to be there.  I will happily strip down to my modestly panels in front of them and ask them if this acceptable if that is what it takes.  

Just now, Madi Melodious said:

I plan to be there.  I will happily strip down to my modestly panels in front of them and ask them if this acceptable if that is what it takes.  

I know the question was asked at the community meeting I attended.  I believe Kiera did say the request for no back strap would be discussed so hopefully, they've considered the request.  

She said roughly the same thing, ‘jeez, it covers my como se llama, what more do they want, a granny skirt?’ Maybe enough photo documentation with enough common kid clothes will make a difference in the shape and span of the layers, still covering as they need to but allowing more fashion freedom. IMVU seems to manage ok and are approved for their mobile app, AP content is age-verified and charged for access. But they are rated 17+ and SL allows 16+ on G regions, 13+ on special regions and does not age verify so ymmv. 

4 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

She said roughly the same thing, ‘jeez, it covers my como se llama, what more do they want, a granny skirt?’

I was talking to one of the creators today and we are making jokes about going back to swimsuits from the 1800's.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Madi Melodious said:

I was talking to one of the creators today and we are making jokes about going back to swimsuits from the 1800's.  

Aws, don’t knock it, some were cute! The kids wear them in New Babbage and Caledon, so do the women. 

IMG_8009.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

The faq says we can wear swimsuit but the modestly layer requirement seems to say, "you can wear swimsuit but they have to look dorky."

It's great that you've got some photos of modesty layers to show now. I don't know if there's a way to submit questions (with photos) ahead of the next governance meeting, but perhaps it might be okay to tag Tommy or Keira to ask them to take a look at your posts and offer feedback later at the meeting. I only suggest that because Keira specifically mentioned brainstorming the removal of the back portion with the team. Now we've got an example of why that'd be necessary and how it'd look.

As far as the bottom layer goes, maybe different hip heights would work with that? A high-cut underwear layer that still offers full coverage would be needed for things like swimsuits and dance/gymnastics leotards. Needs a bit of a sharper angle to clear most designs for kids. Your swimsuit looks perfect and age-appropriate, though. It's only the undies that need a bit of tweaking.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

There will be people who will try to get around the new TOS re child nudity or do the bare minimum to be compliant. Despite being "all for the new rules". 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As far as the bottom layer goes, maybe different hip heights would work with that? A high-cut underwear layer that still offers full coverage would be needed for things like swimsuits and dance/gymnastics leotards. Needs a bit of a sharper angle to clear most designs for kids. Your swimsuit looks perfect and age-appropriate, though. It's only the undies that need a bit of tweaking.

I would like them to allow us to have "tweakable" layers.    Let us apply a alpha to the parts that really don't hide anything or do away with those altogether.  They look horrible and are completely incompatible with the swimsuit I'm wearing.   

Or an adjustable layer where the straps go up or can be repositioned. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

There will be people who will try to get around the new TOS re child nudity or do the bare minimum to be compliant. Despite being "all for the new rules". 

This is something else I want to avoid and get taken care of now and not down the road.  Someone will eventually make a layer to small, the lab will say no, but its already to late because people have bought it thinking it's okay.  

Let's nip that in the bud right out of the gate.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madi Melodious said:

I would like them to allow us to have "tweakable" layers.    Let us apply a alpha to the parts that really don't hide anything or do away with those altogether.  They look horrible and are completely incompatible with the swimsuit I'm wearing.   

Or an adjustable layer where the straps go up or can be repositioned. 

It's a shame this all can't be done with BOM layers, though I understand they don't want users to be able to opt-out of wearing them entirely. It's just really, really difficult to create a single standard underwear set on your skin that will work under all types of clothing. Just not feasible. The only current solution would be multiple skins together in a pack with different types of bras/underwear. With the back, without, high cut, low cut, high rise, low rise, etc. Unless they can just do a single sharper angle high rise and call it a day.

Random example - both are dance leotards, but the second would require very different underwear in SL:

0e8c8e51446fecebc26a60862c875492.png

c31526bc216f7c132430ca4b7017fa1b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1