So what changed in the Terms of Service?

The TOS Changes are GOOD. 

A few Points and assumptions:

The TOS Changes are for Human avatars. Not Tinies, Dinkies, Nekos, Furries.

The TOS Changes are NOT taking away current Adult rights on "M" land.

The TOS Changes need clarification on "what constitutes a child avatar", and "how will the new rules about Modesty panels be applied", among others. These keep coming up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thinking about a scenario I posed earlier, I think it's a shame that two adults can't roleplay being teenagers in love in SL. I hope if they're found in violation it would be treated less harshly via the TOS than would a much older person in sexual contact with a child or teen.

They can para RP being in love all they want, as long as the clothes stay on and they don't do anything illegal.

If they strip and shag, their accounts are toast. And rightly so.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thinking about a scenario I posed earlier, I think it's a shame that two adults can't roleplay being teenagers in love in SL. I hope if they're found in violation it would be treated less harshly via the TOS than would a much older person in sexual contact with a child or teen.

People role play teenagers in love all the time. Just gotta leave out that icky adult stuff.

No per-marital hand holding either. Pre-marital hand holding is a sin.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Didn't I say to you once that SL is a terrible platform for therapy? This is another great example.

I think SL is a great platform for exploring and better understanding one's self and identity.  I would not call this 'therapy' really...not in the official sense anyway..

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Literally, if they stick to the correctly rated Regions - and follow the TOS about "modesty" and "not wearing genitals", why would there be a problem with the TOS?

Being "In Love" has nothing to do with sexual contact. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

They can para RP being in love all they want, as long as the clothes stay on and they don't do anything illegal.

If they strip and shag, their accounts are toast. And rightly so.

So they could be sexual in text and not break any rules?

2 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

This is patently untrue, at least ever since the Beatles.  It would never make it into the TOS.

You're making a joke!

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree, and I also believe at least some of this can be cleared up in the TOS by specifying whether or not teen avatars require modesty layers. If it turns out that no, anyone using an adult body to present as 13-17+ does not need modesty layers built-in (but should do this and/or this instead), we can pretty much drop all this goofy hair panic because at that point, we're talking about a very specific set of bodies.

It seems to me that if someone were using a mesh body intended for adult avatars (eg. Maitreya, Reborn, Legacy, Belleza, Slink, Erika, etc.), but they look young, short and "child-like", it would be reasonable for them to state in their profile that their avatar is a short adult. Sim owners & managers can still boot them, but they would be able to "prove" to Governance that they're using an adult body. Since LL probably doesn't really care about how teen-presenting avatars behave, I don't think they'll act on an AR against teen-avatars unless there is other evidence to show that they are presenting as a minor.  Same with anime. Post in your profile that your avatar is an adult and then don't do or say other things to make it look like your avatar is actually a child.

If someone chooses to engage in sexual behavior while presenting as "child-like" or "teen-like" they risk losing their account, but if they're just at a club or wherever on Moderate land, they should probably be safe.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

People role play teenagers in love all the time. Just gotta leave out that icky adult stuff.

What about sex via text?

I think SL is a great platform for exploring and better understanding one's self...their identity. I would not call this 'therapy' really...not in the official sense anyway..

Second life is Therapeutic, or was seen, because of the fact it says you can be anyone you want, do anything you want, your world your imagination. To many, the imagination is therapeutic.

Over time, this became more and more pushed aside for more realistic views and fantasy and imagination have been pushed aside, now it's just avatars standing around afk, looking at IMs or playing a video game or watching youtube with many standing in their homes or the usual hang out sim.

• Like 3

That, I suspect, would be a very slippery slope.

I'd say that since they are both playing characters who identify as being non-adult and under the age of consent, LL would take a very dim view of any type of sexual content that they engage in, whether it be in-world actions or merely typing, it's all on LL's platform.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh they are breaking rules, but if it's an Im they are less likely to be caught and banned.

Not "wont be caught and banned" just less likely.

Somebody sees them standing too close together, silent and unmoving for a long time, files an AR, Governance check the server logs, accounts are toast.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

This is patently untrue, at least ever since the Beatles.  It would never make it into the TOS.

You're making a joke!

image.png.18be71d594e44583376ae5fe11a0458e.png

Yeah it's an ancient long running anime community joke. lol. 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree, and I also believe at least some of this can be cleared up in the TOS by specifying whether or not teen avatars require modesty layers. If it turns out that no, anyone using an adult body to present as 13-17+ does not need modesty layers built-in (but should do this and/or this instead), we can pretty much drop all this goofy hair panic because at that point, we're talking about a very specific set of bodies.

I think we can take it as read that any avatar that appears to be under 18 is going to require modestly layers, whatever body they're using.

• Like 2

Just now, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That, I suspect, would be a very slippery slope.

IF either person reports it then..either they are both in trouble, or the person who goes "beyond the pale", from "petting" to "no-no's" could be in trouble.

I hope that sounds like a fair interpretation.  

TEXT (what people type) is reportable - even if the avatars themselves are not "doing anything bad" (animation-wise).  

I could be wrong, if "TEXT" is not seen as a "depiction".   WOW! * mind blown *

Or: It could depend on the situation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think SL is a great platform for exploring and better understanding one's self...their identity. I would not call this 'therapy' really...not in the official sense anyway..

Second life is Therapeutic, or was seen, because of the fact it says you can be anyone you want, do anything you want, your world your imagination. To many, the imagination is therapeutic.

Over time, this became more and more pushed aside for more realistic views and fantasy and imagination have been pushed aside, now it's just avatars standing around afk, looking at IMs or playing a video game or watching youtube with many standing in their homes or the usual hang out sim.

This isn't true for those I hang around. Most I know use SL to explore who they are on some level and/or to enhance who they are.  I haven't encountered the 'teens in love' scenario I described though, but likely it exists somewhere out there...

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Engaging or trying to engage a child or child-presenting avatar in a sexually explicit conversation.

The confusing part to me is, if they are "both consenting", and "both same-age".  Doesn't make it OK.

I suppose it's not ours to "judge", but this is where we "ask" what's OK.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think it's a shame that two adults can't roleplay being teenagers in love in SL.

Of course they can roleplay being teenagers in love. They just can't roleplay being teenagers in bed - and nor should they.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1