Resiliency In Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Serenity Prayer embodies resiliency like few other short quotes I've come across, although there are a few good lines in Kipling's poem:

"O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed, the courage to change what can be changed, and the wisdom to know the one from the other".

Resiliency, the ability to cope in a trying situation, creates peace. And believe me I needed to feel peace in a difficult situation I encountered in SL last week. But I tend to accomplish quite a few pursuits in SL that have historically been out of my wheelhouse.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

BTW, Whole Brain Health has a lot of classes designed for the aging brain...seeing as we're all approaching elderly status we might need some of those classes to develop the resilience that would help us enjoy SL better as the years roll by.  

You're assuming most people in Second Life need to enjoy SL better.  Most people in SL see SL as a respite from their RL.  

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The Serenity Prayer embodies resiliency like few other short quotes I've come across, although there are a few good lines in Kipling's poem:

"O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed, the courage to change what can be changed, and the wisdom to know the one from the other".

Resiliency, the ability to cope in a trying situation, creates peace. And believe me I needed to feel peace in a difficult situation I encountered in SL last week. But I tend to accomplish quite a few pursuits in SL that have historically been out of my wheelhouse.

You are skating on a very thin line and I think you know it. I guess forum rules don't apply to you?

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Are you mocking people with substance abuse problems, by posting that particular prayer? I'm sure you know that the point of programs which use that prayer is to depend on one's Higher Power (as they understand it) because they are powerless in the face of addiction - and not some "self-help" philosophy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It is not clear whether the original "intended" topic was how Second Life can help one be "resilient" in RL, or how one can be "resilient" within Second Life itself, completely separate from and unrelated to RL.

Love, I don't mean to be rude, but I need to point out for the umteenth time that this is a thread about being resilient in Second Life.  We have a poem as a starting point to choose resiliency points from (if any fit for you), or you can reveal what makes SL work for you by adding your own resiliency points.

Please read the preamble to the poem -- I can't state it any clearer...that this is about Second Life.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Expand  

You are skating on a very thin line and I think you know it. I guess forum rules don't apply to you?

Prayer is a great coping mechanism, and yes I use it within SL quite often.

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It is not clear whether the original "intended" topic was how Second Life can help one be "resilient" in RL, or how one can be "resilient" within Second Life itself, completely separate from and unrelated to RL.

Isn't that kind of like saying, "I'm not in my house, I'm in my kitchen"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you mocking people with substance abuse problems, by posting that particular prayer? I'm sure you know that the point of programs which use that prayer is to depend on one's Higher Power (as they understand it) because they are powerless in the face of addiction - and not some "self-help" philosophy. 

Nobody owns this prayer, and it's simply words of wisdom that can help someone cope in any situation.  I use it quite often in SL.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:
22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Isn't that kind of like saying, "I'm not in my house, I'm in my kitchen"?

Sorry, I could have been more clear. By "within Second Life itself", I meant "resilient as Second Life users".  For example, rather than "quitting Second Life", one could find some type of support, inspiration, resiliency that allows one to continue on as a Second Life user.  One example is by creating an Alt account.

I don't have much to have resiliency about in SL any more.  In the beginning the challenge of learning something new was enough to have me log in the next day.  Now, i suppose, having a project brings me back in to SL. 

For me, emotional resiliency comes from realizing I am responsible for my responses, action, and words and the realization that my responses, actions, and words can have an impact on others. 

What kind of impact do I want to have today?  Do I want to start a lecture on my beliefs disguised as a discussion? Do I want purposely say insensitive things to others for entertainment?  Do I want to model the love and acceptance that I preach?  Do I want to encourage negative drama?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I don't have much to have resiliency about in SL any more.  In the beginning the challenge of learning something new was enough to have me log in the next day.  Now, i suppose, having a project brings me back in to SL. 

For me, emotional resiliency comes from realizing I am responsible for my responses, action, and words and the realization that my responses, actions, and words can have an impact on others. 

What kind of impact do I want to have today?  Do I want to start a lecture on my beliefs disguised as a discussion? Do I want purposely say insensitive things to others for entertainment?  Do I want to model the love and acceptance that I preach?  Do I want to encourage negative drama?

I love to share on the forum what I find inworld.  I see that others do that as well. We can't all partake of everything inworld, but we can share glimpses here.  I was really happy to discover The Wisdom Circle several months ago, and especially enthused about their topic this week. Of course, if nobody wants to discuss this topic they can find another thread they like better. That's the beauty of choice, and btw, being able to choose is a major attribute of resiliency.

Edited by Luna Bliss

26 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

This is a very mature statement! What I have seen is, most people agree with "one side" of your statement - but many people do not accept or agree with "both sides"! 

In context: Since I mostly stick to my own parcel, and hopefully don't block or spoil anyone's view, hopefully my Second Life behavior does not have any impact on other SL users.

26 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

!!!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's the beauty of choice, and btw, being able to choose is a major attribute of resiliency.

One can always choose one's response - even if one has no control otherwise. (From general teachings.)

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's the beauty of choice, and btw, being able to choose is a major attribute of resiliency.

One can always choose one's response - even if one has no control otherwise. (From general teachings.)

So true, and interestingly I had the opportunity to practice that today with an autistic individual. He frequently sends a request for a teleport or sends one for me, out of the blue. I was irritated and wanted to tell him most consider that rude, but I didn't.  I assume he'll get the message when people stop responding. Ordinarily I might inform someone about this in a kind way, but judging from other interactions with him I think it would have hurt his feelings. So, I chose the best response.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Nobody owns this prayer, and it's simply words of wisdom that can help someone cope in any situation.  I use it quite often in SL.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

Actually they do.

Reinhold Niebuhr

Reinhold Niebuhr, one of the most prominent Protestant theologians of the 20th century and a Yale alumnus, has long been considered the author, though there has been speculation about other writers. “It is entirely possible that Niebuhr composed the prayer much earlier than he himself later remembered,” writes Fred R.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:
49 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Prayer is a great coping mechanism, and yes I use it within SL quite often.

Yes but discussing that is against the forum rules.

I'm not intending to discuss religion in any way, shape, or form -- I'm simply stating prayer (especially meditation & chanting) is one of my coping mechanisms.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:
55 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Actually they do.

Creating something doesn't mean you own it.  Many types of people have utilized this philosophy through the decades, often with their own paraphrasing.

Renditions of it even appeared centuries before ...by Buddha and others.

But you need to stay on topic and discuss whatever coping mechanisms you use to deal with your inworld experiences as opposed to trying to make me somehow wrong.  I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Edited by Luna Bliss

5 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Yes but discussing that is against the forum rules.

I think there are exceptions, for example:

- Praying that your payment method works this month

- Praying that your script works

- Praying that your build looks OK with PBR

- Praying that your Significant Other is not cheating on you 

- Praying that your tormentors / griefers / stalkers "go away"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Creating something doesn't mean you own it.  Many types of people have utilized this philosophy through the decades, often with their own paraphrasing.

But you need to stay on topic and discuss whatever coping mechanisms you use to deal with your inworld experiences as opposed to trying to make me somehow wrong.  I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Please don't direct how I need to respond to a thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is good thinking in theory, and in general, but a lot of the time the "choice" has already been made before the person consciously makes it. 

I'm a pretty intentional person. If I hurt you, it probably was a case of:

1) I was trying to hurt you,

2) I chose to do the thing that hurt you most from a list of hurtful options,

and

3) I probably made some sort of chart.

One of the things I had to learn about the world is that not everyone is like that. A lot of what people do is more or less by reflex. So, if someone else hurt me I shouldn't assume it's intentional just because of how my mind works. One of the keys to being resilient is to try separate yourself from what happened to you and look at it from the outside, and to see if  it really means what it appears to when you're right next to it. Something that seems like a crisis or disaster can look much more manageable from a distance.

(This is a more subtle and enigmatic song than you might think from other versions...)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Please don't direct how I need to respond to a thread.

You need to stay on-topic. It's the rules.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.