Resiliency In Second Life

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This thread doesn't need to be about racism at all -- that's a subject that was introduced by BJ. It's a red herring.

Insensitivity? Maybe?

I think the good bits I quoted above are very good bits indeed, and I hope they do embody at least some of how I behave in SL.

I just realized - isn't analyzing poetry within your professional area, English Lit.?  The entire thread is a challenge! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Second Life is only hard if someone chooses to make it hard

Doing worthwhile things is frequently difficult, yes.

Other things people focus on here, well, not so difficult.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Which is why I think "resiliency" is the least interesting thing that this poem communicates.

A leetle beet of cherry-picking there, yup.

Like, if "The Hollow Men" were said to be about "whimpering".

• Like 2

Not a Kipling fan and nothing in that poem resonates with me whatsoever.

As far as managing difficult situations in SL...what are we referring to? Like struggling to keep my inventory tidy, orrrr...? 

No but really - my SL is fairly pleasant and relaxing and I can't think of any difficult situations that needed to be managed. There are obnoxious people in-world, of course, but those are easily managed by not engaging with them. 

Interestingly, I do use SL as part of RL coping strategies in some ways (the creative side of it), but I suppose that'd be off-topic, so I'll leave that be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the past i was a lot more emotionally invested in second life, to the point it affected my rl moods. I remember quite well when one time, a friend reached out of the computer screen, ripped my heart out of my chest, threw it on the ground and stomped on it, I was devastated, but that was years ago.

Now, regardless of what happens, I’m like whatever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As far as managing difficult situations in SL...what are we referring to? Like struggling to keep my inventory tidy, orrrr...? 

No but really - my SL is fairly pleasant and relaxing and I can't think of any difficult situations that needed to be managed. There are obnoxious people in-world, of course, but those are easily managed by not engaging with them. 

A lot of people in SL have relationships with others, and sometimes they have conflict.

Lots of people have major projects that are difficult and they develop coping strategies so they can persevere -- not all people just 'play' in SL you know..

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

In the past i was a lot more emotionally invested in second life, to the point it affected my rl moods. I remember quite well when one time, a friend reached out of the computer screen, ripped my heart out of my chest, threw it on the ground and stomped on it, I was devastated, but that was years ago.

I'm sorry you encountered such a difficult experience.

However if I was numb in SL like that, without much feeling, it wouldn't have any purpose for me.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

However if I was numb in SL like that, without much feeling, it wouldn't have any purpose for me.

I have friends, I like to hang out, everything doesnt always have to be emotional drama.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There are lots of Bible verses about "Resilience", and some are Psalms - which is generally considered poetry.

Would anyone mind if I were to share those?

I'd love to read about that.

I did know that the word psychology  disturbed you.  The word moist disturbs me so I guess I can sorta understand. ;)

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

To add...I can't think of a better case for the advantage of developing 'resiliency'.

When resilient we are able to bounce back to a place of health and balance, fully functional as human beings. We enjoy life fully then.

Not that everyone can bounce back, however...I don't want to judge anyone who has trouble bouncing back as I haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

5 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I did know that the word psychology  disturbed you.  The word moist disturbs me so I guess I can sorta understand. ;)

The word "psychology" does not disturb me, I am however disturbed when someone make each and every thread about psychology!

I should probably NOT post Bible verses, as some people are likely to think I am not serious and thus report my posts, as they have done in the past. Those people do not respect the beliefs of others! I guess not everyone is resilient.

I think Frank Zappa embodied "resilience" as I see it in Second Life, in his song, "You Are What You Is":

Do you know what you are?
You are what you is
You is what you am
A cow don't make ham

You ain't what you're not
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it is

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have friends, I like to hang out, everything doesnt always have to be emotional drama.

I think it's healthy to minimize what we think of as 'emotional drama' (which means it's unnecessary).  But to always have the feeling of "whatever" no matter the experience, indicates one is kind of pretending so as not to feel pain.  I'm not judging anyone who goes through life like that, but you do miss out on a lot of the joy if you're numb.

It really hinges on what you mean by "whatever" - we'd have to define that clearly

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

A lot of people in SL have relationships with others, and sometimes they have conflict.

Lots of people have major projects that are difficult and they develop coping strategies so they can persevere -- not all people just 'play' in SL you know..

I'm aware. I have SL relationships that are going on 20 years old, you know.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The word "psychology" does not disturb me, I am however disturbed when someone make each and every thread about psychology!

Thanks for clarifying. I just figured since it was said it must be true. They must have just pulled that out of their hat?

Edited by Kathlen Onyx

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've created threads about all sorts of things. But I've noticed that whenever you encounter a thread of mine with more depth (related to how we relate to each other in SL usually) then you become disturbed.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Thanks for clarifying. I just figured since it was said it must be true. The must have just pulled that out of a hat?

Possibilities for the "hat" are related to resiliency: I think, that when people are not resilient, they get defensive in Second Life. That's my take on it. (It is also a classic behavior of narcissists, to take criticism and turn it back on someone.)

But on topic for the OP:

Like when someone posts they will quit Second Life because they were exposed to something offensive - that is not very resilient.  Or if someone will quit Second Life because they cannot make any friends (but apparently do not know how) - that is not very resilient.  Or is someone will quit Second Life because they do not like something going on at Linden Lab - that is not very resilient.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm aware. I have SL relationships that are going on 20 years old, you know.

That's admirable. So what have you done to facilitate that despite any disagreements or troublesome spots along the way?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

@Love ZhaoyingLOL and you were worried she was going to psychoanalyze ME.

Worse! We shall tie you down, and make you listen to someone read Kipling in an annoying voice. Then, we shall force you to listen to analyses of Kipling!! In Second Life!!!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've created threads about all sorts of things. But I've noticed that whenever you encounter a thread of mine with more depth (related to how we relate to each other in SL usually) then you become disturbed.

How does that make you feel?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

How does that make you feel?

Like someone is stalking me.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think it's healthy to minimize what we think of as 'emotional drama' (which means it's unnecessary).  But to always have the feeling of "whatever" no matter the experience, indicates one is kind of pretending so as not to feel pain.  I'm not judging anyone who goes through life like that, but you do miss out on a lot of the joy if you're numb.

I never said i was numb, I said i cant be bothered 😂

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think Frank Zappa embodied "resilience" as I see it in Second Life, in his song, "You Are What You Is":

Do you know what you are?
You are what you is
You is what you am
A cow don't make ham

You ain't what you're not
So see what you got
You are what you is
An' that's all it is

I like that poem, but this thread is about people who might want to develop better coping strategies so they aren't in so much pain in SL.  I encounter them all the time.

It's hard to accept who you are if you haven't figured out good ways to cope with life's arrows...arrows that are, unfortunately, aimed at them within SL. There really are things you can learn that make your SL easier.