Resiliency In Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think I get most of my resilience through music 🎵 

If you miss out on Midnight Mania 😥 just go to an indie club and request this 👊

This one's good if you're struggling with a script B|

• Like 3

I think someone should start a thread about food in Second Life, how the food we eat in RL affects the food we like in SL. Do you eat different kinds in food in SL than you eat in RL? Do you eat food in RL that you can easily eat at your computer?  Do you ever wear an avatar or outfit that depicts food in SL?

Any subject can be about SL if we torture it enough until we all want to scream.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The trouble with most threads like this, is they have an EXTREMELY tenuous connection to Second Life at best.

Proclaiming they have "depth" does not make it so, neither does asking analytical questions.

Possibly there is a GREAT solution, and that is to make it more about Second Life.

"I almost quit Second Life once, but I got better" - shows an example of when someone was resilient in Second Life.

"I lost my entire Second Life family over time, but I'm still here" - shows an example of when someone was resilient in Second Life.

"I lost my Second Life partner, I was sad, that is normal, but now I am all better" - shows an example of when someone was resilient in Second Life.

"I had RL troubles so could no longer afford my land in Second Life, but I am still here and happy" - while that has not happened to me personally, it shows an example of when someone was resilient in Second Life.

"I got banned, but those people were mean and unaccepting, unsupportive, so I am not missing anything" - while that has not happened to me personally, it shows an example of when someone was resilient in Second Life.

There is absolutely no need to go into analytical details.  Unless, "analysis" is the real point, "scratching that itch". Needing to "understand"; to "explain everything; to sort everything out into "good and bad"; to find some root cause based in childhood trauma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I never said i was numb, I said i cant be bothered 😂

So you mean you do have a feeling self in RL where you connect in healthy ways with others, but in SL you've decided to detach from any real feelings of connection with others?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think someone should start a thread about food in Second Life, how the food we eat in RL affects the food we like in SL. Do you eat different kinds in food in SL than you eat in RL? Do you eat food in RL that you can easily eat at your computer?  Do you ever wear an avatar or outfit that depicts food in SL?

Any subject can be about SL if we torture it enough until we all want to scream.

You can also make it about resiliency in Second Life and food, at the same time.

In RL, I am unable to eat too many carbs or I get GERD; and I do not eat meat as I am a vegetarian; while in Second Life, I can eat all the carbs and vegetarians I want (despite their screams)!  I find personal resilience in Second Life for my food trauma!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I think I get most of my resilience through music 🎵 

If you miss out on Midnight Mania 😥 just go to an indie club and request this 👊

This one's good if you're struggling with a script B|

Me too...sometimes I chant and/or listen to music several hours in a day.  Creates a good mood and I can cope with anything!!   Major major tool for resiliency.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

dunno about anyone else, but i dont eat food in second life, but if i did, I wouldn’t eat anything in sl that i wouldn’t eat in rl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So you mean you do have a feeling self in RL where you connect in healthy ways with others, but in SL you've decided to detach from any real feelings of connection with others?

ahhh now it seems like you are trying to psychoanalize me, I’ll pass in that one

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We need more toilets in Second Life. Or all our shape "sliders" will get stuck on "thicc".

I just go behind the potted palm if the venue I’m at doesn’t  have a bathroom.

But yes toilets in sl are few and far between

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm down for a thread like this. Would certainly be interesting and more relevant to SL. My food inventory here is massive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

is about people who might want to develop better coping strategies so they aren't in so much pain in SL. 

My advice would be log out. Why in the world would you continue to use a platform that causes emotional pain? The don't need coping strategies. They need a mouse and the X at the top right of their computer.  You assume people don't have choices, They do.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 8

Just now, Shining Sun said:

I create items in SL to cope with cr*ppy times, whether here or in that other world.  Accomplishing a goal makes me feel in control again.

I do that as well -- create stuff in SL. It brings a sense of agency back in my life when I've encountered a problem that stumped me.  I'ts like "seeee....I can DO it yayyyy".   LOL  Of course I have to be careful I don't get stumped by the new thing I'm trying to create!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

My advice would be log out. Why in the world would you continue to use a platform that causes emotional pain?

Sadly, I bet some people use Second Life as their "happy place" due to RL being "not so great".  If they can't deal with Second Life, then what?

But yeah - go read a book or something. 🙂

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

ahhh now it seems like you are trying to psychoanalize me, I’ll pass in that one

hehe...I'm just trying to unnnerstand ya!   grins

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Shining Sun said:

I talk to friends in SL when I'm feeling down too, and that will pick me right up.

Well that's a good one, unless they're the friends who caused the problems in the first place!    laaaaaaafs

• Haha 1

Some people create alts when they feel attacked, stalked, or they want to difuse an emotionally difficult situation. We might create an alt to get away from people who bug us in SL. Some might create one to "support" them on the forums. This can be a technique to aid in their resilience.

1403533926_sock-puppet2.gif.8388617d3623b615b7704a03936c8c63.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people create alts when they feel attacked, stalked, or they want to difuse an emotionally difficult situation. We might create an alt to get away from people who bug us in SL. Some might create one to "support" them on the forums. This can be a technique to aid in their resilience.

That would be a good coping technique for the forum.  But I'm really going for how we cope inworld.  So, as you say to me frequently........"OFF TOPIC".

• Confused 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

That would be a good coping technique for the forum.  But I'm really going for how we cope inworld.  So, as you say to me frequently........"OFF TOPIC".

It's not off-topic if it gives them a sense of control inworld. They can hit that little X in the upper right corner. Then go back into SL as an alt who doesn't have to deal with the people who have annoyed them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.