Not sure how he finds me every time

I might add that because you have been so descriptive on every single thing he has done and what you have done to combat it he now knows who your current avatar is.  If he's smart enough to find you despite you doing totally unnecessary things to stop him, such as buying a new computer, then he is smart enough to know about the Second Life forums. If I were you I'd delete this before he gets wind of it.  If it hasn't been 24 hour otherwise you are out of luck.

Then only speak to avatars that you initiate conversations with. Also turn on only receive IM's from friends and groups.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx

1 hour ago, Liaa Nova said:

Sadly there is at least one HUD that allows anyone with it to find anybody, wherever they are in SL. I have no idea if he's using it or if it's SL legal, but it's possible he may have it

From.what others have said in the past on the forums, that is just not possible unless the one being followed is wearing some scripted object given to them.  I know that one kidnap RP system might be like.that but it's something you must allow.

• Like 1

Hi.

Make sure you don't look like anything before, don't use the same tattoos, skins - nothing that can be a resemblance. You would be surprised how often people go for it and don't even realize it. It's also possible that he uses your name to everyone he messages and just fishes for a response.

On the technical site..

You've got a new laptop - good! Now get rid of any IoT devices because they have crap security and could have been compromised - they can be used to gain foothold to your network and pivot further.  Reset your router settings to default so any changes he has made are cleared. Standard DNS queries only include domain name but DoH/DoT(DNS over HTTPS/TLS) can include the full URL so if he has set his own DNS server in your router's settings, technically it's possible to find out your new name. For example, you have requested https://my.secondlife.com/myname and he can see "myname"

Another thing in your router is the option to set up a VPN which can act as a man-in-the-middle and allow him to intercept traffic. It's a stretch but still in the realm of possiblities. A reset will clear it. Call your ISP and ask tell if it's safe to reset it(might require configuration afterwards, also change the router's password) or maybe they can just come to replace it.

In the SL's viewer disable streaming music and media and only enable music when you are at some club.

In Media tab disable "play media attached to other avatars" - this can leak your IP address.

image.png.2d933fc991ece5e32ac0e323ba549108.png

I don't think there's anything left you can do on the technical side of things.

Edited by Neremyn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Call me skeptical but there is no way that IF you did all these things that the person would be able to find you. NOT possible.

1 First post on the forum

2. Saying all the ways they seem to find you? Or all the ways you are trying to find someone and ran out of ideas/options.

3. What better way to find out ways to stalk someone than to post and get ideas from others.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but I just don't believe it.

If I wanted to stalk someone like you think, would I post here with my main.

And I hope you never have to experience this, because it really is not fun and it really is not something I would like to spent my time with.

It is almost 3 years now, and I read alot about it here already and tried the most things I did read here before I finally posted it, thats why I thought to ask this here. I was hoping that maybe one person knew something that could help me.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well, on the other hand the OP used a typical victim ploy throughout the thread, where every resolution was countered with a "yeah but". That is typically used by those who really don't want an answer that might take away their victimhood legitimacy.

I noted for example she responded to everything except my suggestion about taking a sabbatical from Second Life and going to another virtual game for a while until the perpetrator loses interest and finds a new victim to prey on.

Perpetrators that have such an obsession don't usually go long without finding something new to obsess on.

This might sound harsh but I suspect she really doesn't want an answer.

Sorry I did not responded on your suggestion before, but I used other virtual games before. And I like SL alot, so it is not that I dont want an anwser to my problem.

If I really would want to stay in the victimhood legacy as you think, why would I post it here then?

It is not easy to write these things here, when I finally decided to do this. I really was so tired for trying everything I could think of.

And I hope he finds something new to obsess on, I really do.

It is not fun when you cant go anywhere afraid for getting him in my IM's again.

And I am glad for the people who anwsered and gave options, and yes the most I have tried. and of course I am thinking about the anwsers If I maybe not did it good enough or maybe I forgot something.

So I really am looking for an anwser

Edited by Myrthe Mysterious
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hi again, Myrthe. I suggest not posting anymore. As you can see, the thread has taken a 'victim blaming' turn.  I often see this when a problem is unable to be resolved -- certain people begin blaming the victim for their problems. I hope you don't feel the need to defend yourself against this. Just know there are people out there who have encountered this stalking, and they believe you and have empathy for your situation. I"m sorry we couldn't help you find a solution.

Thank you, and I was afraid this would happen, but I am very glad that some people do understand what It means when this happens to them. I really do not like to be in this situation, I wish I could just enjoy my SL in peace without always looking over my shoulder. Sadly not everyone understands this.

But thank you for your kind words

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaitlinParker said:

She has trust issues for starters.  The "but(s)" in her answers are possibly proof that she has tried everything she could think of.

Yes, and even if the guy changes his name on any of the accounts, the UUIDs for each remain the same no matter what.

It could be your spelling as I do see hints of Broken English in your writing.

Talking is good, and not lowering your guard is a reactionary response because of what this guy has done to you in terms of cyber stalking.  The only person who can decide if you want to be friends with someone is you.

Ah I understans what you mean.

And I do believe that maybe that is what gives it away, my broken english, I did try to change my typing, but thats hard to do.

You are right and I am trying to not distrust everyone I meet

2 hours ago, Lyric Demina said:

This, then.

If the stalker is STILL finding you?  I'm assuming the stalker is still finding you even now, so I will say, please make sure you have treated your son's PC with an anti-spyware service and a general malware blocker. 

And in my family, if it were me, I would also make sure it wasn't actually my son or his friends playing pranks on square little old me.

Yeah I will put anti spyware on his pc for sure

No my son is not doing this, he sits with me in my living and is on his pc so I can see what he is doing on it.

But thank you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liaa Nova said:

Sadly there is at least one HUD that allows anyone with it to find anybody, wherever they are in SL. I have no idea if he's using it or if it's SL legal, but it's possible he may have it

No idea I did read about redzone, only that is illegal in SL now

2 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I might add that because you have been so descriptive on every single thing he has done and what you have done to combat it he now knows who your current avatar is.  If he's smart enough to find you despite you doing totally unnecessary things to stop him, such as buying a new computer, then he is smart enough to know about the Second Life forums. If I were you I'd delete this before he gets wind of it.  If it hasn't been 24 hour otherwise you are out of luck.

Then only speak to avatars that you initiate conversations with. Also turn on only receive IM's from friends and groups.

He knows this avatar, and I dont know if he is reading here. 

I guess you are right and I should turn on only IM's from friends and groups, I will check if i can find it, thanx for the idea

51 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

From.what others have said in the past on the forums, that is just not possible unless the one being followed is wearing some scripted object given to them.  I know that one kidnap RP system might be like.that but it's something you must allow.

I had a scripted object, I deleted it a few weeks ago.

And I changed my settings, so RLV is off and also my media, sounds and voice is off, Is there another setting I should change?

43 minutes ago, Neremyn said:

Hi.

Make sure you don't look like anything before, don't use the same tattoos, skins - nothing that can be a resemblance. You would be surprised how often people go for it and don't even realize it. It's also possible that he uses your name to everyone he messages and just fishes for a response.

On the technical site..

You've got a new laptop - good! Now get rid of any IoT devices because they have crap security and could have been compromised - they can be used to gain foothold to your network and pivot further.  Reset your router settings to default so any changes he has made are cleared. Standard DNS queries only include domain name but DoH/DoT(DNS over HTTPS/TLS) can include the full URL so if he has set his own DNS server in your router's settings, technically it's possible to find out your new name. For example, you have requested https://my.secondlife.com/myname and he can see "myname"

Another thing in your router is the option to set up a VPN which can act as a man-in-the-middle and allow him to intercept traffic. It's a stretch but still in the realm of possiblities. A reset will clear it. Call your ISP and ask tell if it's safe to reset it(might require configuration afterwards, also change the router's password) or maybe they can just come to replace it.

In the SL's viewer disable streaming music and media and only enable music when you are at some club.

In Media tab disable "play media attached to other avatars" - this can leak your IP address.

image.png.2d933fc991ece5e32ac0e323ba549108.png

I don't think there's anything left you can do on the technical side of things.

Thank you for this anwser, only can you explain to me what a lot device is (im not that technical )

I did not knew all this, and I will reset my router settings for sure, better safe then sorry 

I will call them monday to ask if it is safe.

The media I have turned off I read about that on a site "how to avoid redzone" right after that I changed those settings.

Thank you so much I am going to try these things for sure 

32 minutes ago, Myrthe Mysterious said:

Thank you for this anwser, only can you explain to me what a lot device is (im not that technical )

I did not knew all this, and I will reset my router settings for sure, better safe then sorry 

I will call them monday to ask if it is safe.

The media I have turned off I read about that on a site "how to avoid redzone" right after that I changed those settings.

Thank you so much I am going to try these things for sure 

IoT - internet of things. Basically smart devices that connect to the Internet. Can be a smart microwave, oven, doorbell, locks, cameras. Usually the cheap chinese devices never get security updates and very often they end up with vulnerabilities which allows to be hacked. It's really a stretch. Resetting the router or getting it replaced is good enough.

Change your passwords and don't use your "main" email as a recovery for the new email.

Edited by Neremyn

On 4/11/2024 at 3:55 AM, Myrthe Mysterious said:

Well he had control over it, and he did install a program to help make mac easier. And He did told me on one of his accounts that he would always find me. 

Only he came back a few weeks ago with the account I knew him from all of a sudden after being gone for 2,5 years. I did not knew it was him at that time.

But he asked me all of a sudden on what kinda laptop I was using the mac or another one, after giving it some thought I realized it was him, and that I gave him permission on my mac back then.

And he knew I thought It was someone else who did it ( I talked with him out of sl for a few weeks after he left) , he said "oh is that guy still bothering you, when will he stop"

When you got a new machine, did you copy over your applications, settings and data? If so you likely copied over tracking / keylogging / etc software as well.

And that would be how someone would keep tracking you through new machines.

If you know anything about this person in RL, take it to the police. The part I quoted above seems to suggest you two have talked in RL so yes - get police involved.

Computer security wise, if you know anyone in RL who is tech savvy have them look over your machine and your setup. Some of the likely things you will need to do:

1. Change all passwords using something different from your previous style of making passwords - got to do this while logged out of everything. Might even suggest doing it on a totally different computer at something like a family member's house.
  2. Put your 'data' somewhere like google drive.
  3. reformat your computer.
  4. Install apps all base brand new. Don't copy things over from a backup.
  5. This is where you get a little extreme: grab the data down from google drive on a different KIND of computer. If your computer is a Mac, use a PC, and vice versa. Virus scan it all. Put it on a flash drive, put it back on your machine. Alternatively in future only access that old data through google drive and never download it - but I am not sure how secure this is.
  6. If you have a Mac savvy friend, deleting viruses, malware, etc from Macs is super easy. Cleaning PCs is harder but modern Windows is harder to get infected than modern Mac (it's very easy to put a virus on a Mac machine, and just as easy to remove it. Its very hard to infect Windows now, and just as hard to clean it).

Outside of that... your other thoughts on VPNs etc.

If this person is near you in RL, then you might need to look into some added measures, as far as making sure you don't have airtags or cameras hidden in your home. If any of that is the case - get police involved.

Lastly. my post above: language was not an issue in your post. The words themselves were easy to understand.

But having the entire post on a single line made it visually very hard to read. Looks like your posts after that have formatting though. Maybe that was a forum submit error that removed all the new-lines in the first post.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver

The only sure way to never talk to him again is make a new avatar. Turn off IM's for anyone not a friend or group and leave your profile empty with no payment info on it. You can always transfers $L to your new avatar from your old one.

You are probably thinking that it isn't fair you have to do all this but if you really have been stalked for 3 years and he keeps finding you then this is the best way to go.

If anyone has experienced or heard of someone going this far to stalk someone in SL I'd love to hear of the experience.  

10 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

If anyone has experienced or heard of someone going this far to stalk someone in SL I'd love to hear of the experience. 

I'm sure anyone enduring this experience is simply longing to confide in you after you said this earlier:

"Call me skeptical but there is no way that IF you did all these things that the person would be able to find you. NOT possible.

1 First post on the forum

2. Saying all the ways they seem to find you? Or all the ways you are trying to find someone and ran out of ideas/options.

3. What better way to find out ways to stalk someone than to post and get ideas from others.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but I just don't believe it."

• Haha 1

It may be more practical to stop trying to fight this with escalating technical responses unless this crosses the line into real life stalking. Instead, to repeat my earlier suggestion, let him think he won in the least satisfying way: bore him past the point of interest. This does not mean to abandon whichever account(s) he's already stalking. You need that stalked account more than ever, because you'll use it to make him go away. Keep using it, but make it less and less interesting to stalk. Just mute him or pretend to mute him and do stupider and stupider things with that avatar, make them tedious and incoherent, as if the avatar is being operated by a defective Artificial Intelligence, but a really boring one.

Of course if that were your only account, it would make SL boring for you, too, so make a completely different new account. Don't worry about using the same machine because this new account will be completely different. It's not going to share anything about your previous Second Life experience, nothing your stalker would encounter and nothing they'd be interested in if they did. 

There are many different ways to experience Second Life. Your goal is to start this new account doing stuff you'd never consider doing before, with an avatar completely different from any you've used before. Think about what attracted you to your previous avatar: did you like its hair? If so, your new account should have no hair at all. Was your skin a good feature? Fine, switch to scales, or mech hardware. Did it move well with good animations? Nope, the new one should have whatever you can scavenge from old Library avatars. In fact, some weird old Library robot avatar might be a good place to start.

Not the SL you want? Yeah, of course not, but it's a way to investigate parts of SL you'd never experience otherwise, broaden your SL horizons and make some discoveries you can use later, after you've lost this creep. And anyway, meanwhile, you'll need to spend some of your time actively boring him with the stalked account. 

(Incidentally, Myrthe, I knew you'd be back because you sound like a grown up, after all this, not easily intimidated by a little Forums skepticism. In fact, you might be especially situated to accept those who are so worried they might be getting tricked, as if that were the worst thing in the world.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
"its" not "it's" (and yes, I'm that obsessive)
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The "stalker" will win so long as you play their game.

The stalker wins when we don't take the victims claims seriously and even blame them for the abuse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Oh it's definitely possible, there has been uproar in an SL game due to it and I've got RLV off, never accept things and they found me over and over, it should be banned but never is

2 minutes ago, Liaa Nova said:

it should be banned but never is

And it can never be banned unless somebody identifies it in an Abuse Report—and then, if true, it'll be gone grid-wide.

And that's pretty good evidence that it's not true: it would not exist if anybody could actually identify it.

Given the bugs in some of the third-party libraries used for SL (viewers and server-side), I'd never say it's exactlky impossible, but it's definitely not possible within SL's designed architecture… but anything goes if victims are using media or a third party viewer, either of which may operate outside that designed architecture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

And it can never be banned unless somebody identifies it in an Abuse Report—and then, if true, it'll be gone grid-wide.

And that's pretty good evidence that it's not true: it would not exist if anybody could actually identify it.

Given the bugs in some of the third-party libraries used for SL (viewers and server-side), I'd never say it's exactlky impossible, but it's definitely not possible within SL's designed architecture… but anything goes if victims are using media or a third party viewer, either of which may operate outside that designed architecture.

It most definitely is true but the guy who created it has only shared it with people within the game and nobody knows any other details of it, except those who use it to cheat in that game. There is no other way they could repeatedly find everyone in a specific groups homes etc when nothing in profile ever gave it away, even when they move. It's been reported to the game creators but as far as I know, can't be abuse reported as it's not sl illegal and the ones with it use it for the wrong reasons. Would be interesting to know if the ex plays that game, as only they have it