The Viewers Use use, and Why.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I personally use the Firestorm viewer, because it is RLV enabled, the chat window is exactly what I like. I like the features as well, and I now feel lost trying any other viewer. Also, since basically everyone I'm close to uses it, it's easier for us to help each other.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

The majority of the grid uses FS for the same reasons, its the most widely used viewer.

Do you know the actual Stat on that?

4 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

The ability to de-render people is a huge plus for me.  

I've done that to reduce lag in a crowded store. Is FS the only viewer that has this feature?

Just now, Bagnu said:

I've done that to reduce lag in a crowded store. Is FS the only viewer that has this feature?

I'm not sure. I also do that but I'm talking about putting avatars on your blacklist forever. It really reduces stress. Block and de-render and they do not exist any longer. :)

I started with the LL viewer and I still use it for 95%+ of the time. I tried Firestorm a few times when testing other grids and I can't say that it fits me like a glove.
So I stick with the LL viewer. It does what it needs to do: I can live my Second Life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hop around a lot.  Linden Lab's viewer, Alchemy, Singularity, Firestorm, Black Dragon,  Speedlight every now and then, and Radegast when I need an alt to keep my vehicle from vanishing.  I like the features of Firestorm a lot, but am enjoying PBR at the moment so sticking with the default viewer for now, I'll probably switch back over after PBR is finalized in it.  

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

This has been confirmed by both LL and FS at the third party viewer meetings in the past. If a FS person is around, they can confirm I am sure .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I hop around a lot.  Linden Lab's viewer, Alchemy, Singularity, Firestorm, Black Dragon,  Speedlight every now and then, and Radegast when I need an alt to keep my vehicle from vanishing.  I like the features of Firestorm a lot, but am enjoying PBR at the moment so sticking with the default viewer for now, I'll probably switch back over after PBR is finalized in it.  

It's true though, I think a lot of us DO switch viewers, depending on the situation. I use Speedlight at work to send IM's, since I can't fully login for privacy reasons. I like the pics BD takes, but I don't know how to back up the settings, if I muck something up. FS DOES have a PBR Beta, which is working fine for me. 

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:20 PM, Istelathis said:

I do as well. Really happy with the current beta of Alchemy, the devs added Black Dragon's poser and extra angles! That just means I use BD much less in Linux/Wine and run something natively ported instead.

Overall FS and Cool VL compete for #1 on my list, as they are fully Open Sim compatible. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speedlight mostly, although it's a client and not really a viewer.

When I need to go to places, and when creating, I vary between the official one, Alchemy, and Genesis. I would use Genesis mostly, for sheer speed, but not for scripting (because it doesn't expand menus downwards to fit the text and buttons, and my scripts often need that).

For OpenSim, I use Firestorm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

I do as well. Really happy with the current beta of Alchemy, the devs added Black Dragon's poser and extra angles! That just means I use BD much less in Linux/Wine and run something natively ported instead.

Overall FS and Cool VL compete for #1 on my list, as they are fully Open Sim compatible. :)

Oooh :D I'll have to give it a try, do you know if they have the link in Discord?  I just wish Alchemy could derender things, the last version I tried did not have the ability to do so.

• Like 1

FS just has all the features you need and a good UI and it is stable. For self pictures especially, BD because of the poser, But then again it really depends on what you do in SL. If you just shop and listen to music the Official viewer is perfectly fine for that

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 3:03 PM, Bagnu said:

The last static (maybe from a survey, maybe from FS - don't remember) was 75 percent ish. This was a few years ago. A search might find the answer for you.  I think the simpler viewers are likely better for people starting out. Once people decide to stay tney often switch to FS. It does tons of things I use every day but it IS COMPLEX and could be overpowering to new users. There ARE classes however so that would likely help.   

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.