Different avatar, different outlook?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 81 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over my years in SL, I've come to use two avatars on a regular basis. Sometimes I favor one or the other, sometimes I use both equally. One presents as more male, the other as more female. Over my time of using these avatars, they've come to have their own sort of personalities. That seems rather silly on some level, since I'm the one controlling both of them, but I've found that the way I act and the perspective and interests I have changes depending on which one I'm using. One is more social, more silly, and more sexual. The other is more reserved, more serious, and more sex repulsed.

Realizing this has been a weird and fascinating experience which I've struggled to explain to myself, let alone to others. I don't have dissociative identity disorder or anything like that, but I do feel distinctly different depending on which I log in with. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something like this or known others who have. How did your avatars make your perspective differ? What do you think it says about the person behind the avatar?

• Like 1

Yes I can relate in multiple ways. It has surprised me somewhat to be honest but I think part of it is because of being treated differently by the avatars I meet. In some ways the differing aspects of my alts are in some ways a reflection of those they meet.

• Like 2

Oh yes, this happened to me a few times...I don't know if I told this story here before, but I actually didn't like the way one alt made me feel IRL, so I deleted her :/

Most were the same as 'Rat', sort of xD But with each alt, it was interesting how even little changes you'd make would give you a new way of looking at SL...

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3

I have several alts who take on different parts of my personality or moods.  I choose which account logs in based on how I feel each day.  Each has their on styles, but all are me.

Within each account are also different moods.  For example, Polly may be the one I log in to go to science discussions, but she can present as human or inhuman as the mood strikes.  

I see no issue with all these different avatars and moods.  When I don't have a preference, I choose an avatar at random and take on the personality of that one when I log in.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Over my years in SL, I've come to use two avatars on a regular basis. Sometimes I favor one or the other, sometimes I use both equally. One presents as more male, the other as more female. Over my time of using these avatars, they've come to have their own sort of personalities. That seems rather silly on some level, since I'm the one controlling both of them, but I've found that the way I act and the perspective and interests I have changes depending on which one I'm using. One is more social, more silly, and more sexual. The other is more reserved, more serious, and more sex repulsed.

Realizing this has been a weird and fascinating experience which I've struggled to explain to myself, let alone to others. I don't have dissociative identity disorder or anything like that, but I do feel distinctly different depending on which I log in with. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something like this or known others who have. How did your avatars make your perspective differ? What do you think it says about the person behind the avatar?

Absolutely. This is one of the weird but amazing aspects of SL for me. I think it's kind of like playing a roleplay character, in that we allow different aspects of our personality to be expressed through different avatars or characters. At first they might seem like they're just a fictional character we've created, but after awhile we realize that this alternate character allows us to express feelings and behavior we might usually repress.

It's pretty common for people in SL to express a different gender with an alt. I don't really identify with my male alt, but I found it interesting to feel a different personality come through my female alt for whom I'd invented a traumatic backstory. She speaks her mind and doesn't care if anyone thinks she's weird or crazy. She's also a survivor who's been able to reinvent herself the way she wants to be, rather than how I originally created her to be.

• Like 2

I always end up going in the same direction with my alts for some reason..

Mine start out differently, but after a bit they are just me again doing what I usually do.. It's probably a lot to do with not being so social in SL or something..

I'll start out really social, then just fade away from that and want to have my me time again.. hehehe

I think I just really like my me time when it's all said and done.. hehehe

• Like 3

I change genders and appearance on the same account all the time. I won't go into how each gender is treated differently, but I'll go into how it affects my own morale.

As a male avatar, I feel the same role I feel in reality, which is to be stronger, stoic, reserved. I don't move around as much.. I don't get as close to people physically.

As a female, I feel more playful, impulsive, approachable, etc. I feel like I can invade someone's space without as much resistance, stand on yo head without it being as awkward as if i did it on my male avatar.

Life's unfair :'D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 81 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.