Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Most people don't bother to look at account age unless it comes up in conversation. People looking to prey on newbies do, as you noted in your original post, but I don't understand why you want to experience that. You're not missing out by not having a bunch of creepy people contacting you.

The idea that forum people are out to get you is overblown. The only times that people have turned up at my house is when I told them to go visit my house. Most people don't take forum arguments to inworld (and if they did, they'd just get shut down and that'd be the end of that).

All round, I suspect the reason you have trouble finding people who want to talk to you is not about your account age. It's because you're approaching them as you are in this thread.

I don't even approach people, mushroom. 

Actually, I've already witnessed what Love suggested. In lame IMVU, if you hide your gender, cause that's an option which was added later. The ability to hide location and gender, 2 pieces of information that nobody needs to know, just like account age....  If you hide your gender/location, a lot of places will boot you. Perfectly fine with that. Talk about "weeding out" the "wrong" people as a few of you have stated ;p.... 

I'm fine with being considered untrustworthy just because I chose not to display information that you DON'T need to know. It's almost like you're just mad that the information is being taken away from you.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Are you going to come to me in world and make me pay for my sins? I deserve some vigilante justice, right? Get the pitch forks and torches, cause the council of anti-freedom of speech is coming for me~ 

So people disagree with you and it's not going against your human right of freedom of speech. I mean aren't we allowed the freedom to the same thing? You are acting all kinds of weird, I mean apparently dissenting opinion is somehow taking away your right to free speech. Make it make sense dude. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

I don't even approach people, mushroom. 

Well, that does make more sense. You don't want to approach people, so you rely on them contacting you. Which they only seem to do if you look like you're new. I'm not the life of the party either, but sometimes you do need to be the one to talk first. Join some groups if you're shy about talking to people directly. Or just put on a tiny avatar and they will all start talking to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There is most definitely a forum clique, 50% of which wouldn't have an opinion unless someone from the clique tells then what it is!

I don't disagree that are are cliques (plural) here.  In the end though, there is no hive mind despite the common complaint there is.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Actually, I've already witnessed what Love suggested. In lame IMVU, if you hide your gender, cause that's an option which was added later. The ability to hide location and gender, 2 pieces of information that nobody needs to know, just like account age....  If you hide your gender/location, a lot of places will boot you. Perfectly fine with that. Talk about "weeding out" the "wrong" people as a few of you have stated ;p.... 

Why is the business of these people, to know where you are in the world or if you are male or female? That makes no sense, especially since you can be whatever you want in these worlds. But account age, that has nothing to do with your actual age gender or location.

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

I don't disagree that are are cliques (plural) here.  In the end though, there is no hive mind despite the common complaint there is.

Oh I haven't heard the accusation that there is any hive mind. If it there was it pales in comparison to the one in that other forum SL people often go to.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Are you going to come to me in world and make me pay for my sins? I deserve some vigilante justice, right? Get the pitch forks and torches, cause the council of anti-freedom of speech is coming for me~ 

You miss the point - while illustrating the point. Just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean you are "being attacked". Maybe the problem isn't "other people", maybe it's you? It appears that once enough people disagree with you, then you start to freak out and exhibit fear. That's a terrible way to have to live.

If only someone was around whose hobby is analyzing people, it could be helpful for once.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why is the business of these people, to know where you are in the world or if you are male or female? That makes no sense, especially since you can be whatever you want in these worlds. But account age, that has nothing to do with your actual age gender or location.

Sorry, I thought we could be whatever we want, opposite gender, different species, maybe even.. *gasp* a different age.

LOL, jk, I'm not defending any sus age activity, but if you wanna put it that way, YOUR point was made moot by your post. xD

If you can't see the correlation with account age and RL age, i can't help you.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

If only someone was around whose hobby is analyzing people, it could be helpful for once.

You do realize who they would side with, right?  Regardless of the validity of anyone's posts?  😁

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You miss the point - while illustrating the point. Just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean you are "being attacked". Maybe the problem isn't "other people", maybe it's you? It appears that once enough people disagree with you, then you start to freak out and exhibit fear. That's a terrible way to have to live.

Midnoot doesn't miss the point though maybe you do? It is evident when people's opinions change depending of who they are supporting with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Midnoot said:

Sorry, I thought we could be whatever we want, opposite gender, different species, maybe even.. *gasp* a different age.

LOL, jk, I'm not defending any sus age activity, but if you wanna put it that way, YOUR point was made moot by your post. xD

If you can't see the correlation with account age and RL age, i can't help you.

Account age means when you signed up and how long you have been in SL. Whereas, actual age, means how long you lived in this world. Where is the correlation there bud? I am just not seeing it. And no one is saying you aren't doing that, projecting much? What we are trying to say, is that it is trivial to hide SL age as it's not your actual age. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

You do realize who they would side with, right?  Regardless of the validity of anyone's posts?  😁

White Knights can provide a certain amount of "comic relief" to an otherwise inane situation. Like a court jester.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Account age means when you signed up and how long you have been in SL. Whereas, actual age, means how long you lived in this world. Where is the correlation there bud? I am just not seeing it. And no one is saying you aren't doing that, projecting much? What we are trying to say, is that it is trivial to hide SL age as it's not your actual age. 

What is being inferred is that you can't lie and say you're 21 in RL.when your account is 20 yrs old.  So, in reality, if you've been here for 20 yrs, the youngest you could be in RL is 33.  I think the teen grid was 13-17 yr olds?  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wanting to hide your account age is EXTREMELY creepy. I expect most people doing it will use it to prey on younger people.

I Get Older They Stay The Same Age GIFs | Tenor

Just as creepy as making a new alt to do it every few years :3. At least when you accuse an age hidden person of being ancient , it will probably be accurate.  Instead of those old soul , young bodied 1-3 year accounts who're  totally not alts. 

There's a surprising amount of people who want to appear older too , so they'll hide their accounts age even if they are new , just to avoid the preconceptions that come with being new .

This works for everyone except the ones who are totally not paranoid about someone's age , yet point the paranoia claim at anyone who takes extra precautions o.O..

Countless times i read a profile that says " actual rez date : 23 bc"

Edited by Midnoot

Here's how I see it working inworld, if people are allowed to hide their account age:

If they hide it so people will think they are older, people will think they are younger.

If they hide it so people will think they are younger, people will think they are older.

Either way, people will assume the person with their age hidden is somehow inferior to themselves.

Then they will also go and hide their account age, as well.

After hiding their account age, they will go about loudly proclaiming their account age to everyone, to show how honest they are, while still keeping it hidden.

It will thus become the new big thing.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Here's how I see it working inworld, if people are allowed to hide their account age:

If they hide it so people will think they are older, people will think they are younger.

If they hide it so people will think they are younger, people will think they are older.

Either way, people will assume the person with their age hidden is somehow inferior to themselves.

Then they will also go and hide their account age, as well.

I like that they can't be certain p:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.