Flying and Boat Races

EricBjornson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there anyway the two communities can come to a mutual agreement to share time with each in Second Life ? Most oceans have continual boat races that make it almost impossible to Fly planes due to the number of scripts being utilized within a region creating extreme lag and lag spikes. It would be deeply appreciated by the flying community if races had a cut off time so flyers could also enjoy the Second life oceans. Personally, I enjoy both flying and sailing and support both communities time and enjoyment in SL.  Any other ideas that would help serve both communities mutually is always appreciated. Thank you 

• Confused 2

The counter-argument the sailors will give is that planes can fly over SL land.

Of course that is likely to be more laggy.

But if you're talking about the Blake Sea region it was made specifically for sailors.

There is a region in the 'U' shaped continent south of Bellisseria's Victorians that is for 'combat boats'.

As for planes - there are airports all over Bellisseria. As a sailing fan in SL, I actually prefer Bellisseria because the script lag you're talking about usually isn't the boats or planes - it's the mainland builds along the coasts (unless there's a massive event going on).

I can sail around Bellisseria and experience a near lag free experience and the various homes along the water work to keep me engaged working my sails. For flyers... I'm not into that so I don't know what it is they seek - but I imagine the view would be nicer flying above Belli.

• Like 1

With the exception of Sirens Isle, the rest of the Blake Sea is quite easy to fly over, even if there is some boat race or sailing cruise going on. Then as UnilWay said, there's plenty of other places to fly planes (and use boats too) such as Bellisseria, Jeogeot Gulf etc. Plenty of space for everyone really.

You'll also need to clarify the "Most oceans have continual boat races " part cause that sounds like hyperbole to me. I get to spend a lot of hours every day travelling in SL and with the exception of the Blake Sea/Dire Strait/Bingo Strait areas, they aren't many boat races at all, and they certainly aren't "continual".  Even if that wasn't the case, unless you're following the same course, the boaters impact on you will only be in one or two regions until you've passed them or changed course.

Honestly, if flying over a few boats is causing you that many issues, then i'd be looking at things from your end first (viewer settings etc) to see what improvements you can make.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EricBjornson said:

Most oceans have continual boat races that make it almost impossible to Fly planes due to the number of scripts being utilized within a region creating extreme lag and lag spikes

1 Actually, there are not that many boat races, I've flown quite happily from Ahab's Haunt all the way to South Satori without seeing a single race.

2 : In addition, the main cause of lag when you have large numbers of vehicles, isn't the scripts, it's the avatars, and the physics of the vehicles them selves. You are more likely to experience lag spikes, due to having your draw distance set too damn high or from flying too damn fast and basically leaving one region before it's finished processing your arrival from the previous one.

3 : Traditionally, the hardcore vehicle fanatic overentitlement communities do not compromise with anyone, even each other, your request should stand as evidence of this, you want the boat-people to be limited so YOU won't be.

• Like 2

Most lag spikes occur when many scripts enter a region at once. The servers don't care wether it is a mesh coloring HUD, an AO, a grid radio or whatnot. They will run all scripts at full speed until enough data is collected on how much they need to be throttled. In my experience the frequency of sim crossings affects spikes way more than the total amount of physics objects or running scripts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

the main cause of lag when you have large numbers of vehicles, isn't the scripts, it's the avatars

Yes, this has been my experience over 14 years of sailing and flying.

As a hardcore vehicle fanatic who has participated in and planned hundreds of cruises, we DO attempt to avoid conflicting with other HVFs. We also distribute  charts and HUDs in an attempt to minimize orb and banline encounters.

7 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

We also distribute

Worth remembering those "landscaping" regions are typically limited to TEN avatars. It's why many of the "races" are run on a rally system, i.e. elapsed time per contestant, NOT first past the post, so as to space out the contestants across multiple regions and avoid "region is full" messages.

The Second Life Sailing Association SLSA, lists most races and cruises so by checking their group notices you should be able to work out when and where there will be sailors on planned events. 

The only sailing event I know of not listed there is the one my motorbike club runs at noon every Saturday, that tends to be more motorboats, with some dieselpunk air traffic. After the start people are quite spread out so apart from the beginning unlikely to cause much additional traffic.

Edited by Aethelwine

On 11/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

The counter-argument the sailors will give is that planes can fly over SL land.

Of course that is likely to be more laggy.

But if you're talking about the Blake Sea region it was made specifically for sailors.

There is a region in the 'U' shaped continent south of Bellisseria's Victorians that is for 'combat boats'.

As for planes - there are airports all over Bellisseria. As a sailing fan in SL, I actually prefer Bellisseria because the script lag you're talking about usually isn't the boats or planes - it's the mainland builds along the coasts (unless there's a massive event going on).

I can sail around Bellisseria and experience a near lag free experience and the various homes along the water work to keep me engaged working my sails. For flyers... I'm not into that so I don't know what it is they seek - but I imagine the view would be nicer flying above Belli.

Thank you, I'll try Bellisseria. I enjoy both sail boats and planes. Just thought perhaps the two communities could share time when each can enjoy themselves . Thanks for the reply.

I keep reading the subject line to this thread as just:

"Flying Boat Races".

And then wondering where to get a flying boat for the race. ;)

Wouldn't that be an interesting way to bring these communities together there. A flying sailboat - works like sailing but in the air. I'm getting Captain Harlock vibes.

And a floating airship - works like a plane, but on and below the waves.

And then... race them and explore together with them.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I keep reading the subject line to this thread as just:

"Flying Boat Races".

And then wondering where to get a flying boat for the race. ;)

In real life, I've lived places where they have what is called "cigarette boat races".  Those boats go so fast, they can fly for brief periods. They are also extremely dangerous.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.