The Potential Misleading 5 Star Trick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A while back, Stephen King came out with a book called Full Dark, No Stars. Every time I'd see a review for it, I'd think it was kind of rude of the reviewer to give it zero stars! Or else that it must be flat-out horrible! 😄

There was a band in my college town that named themselves Free Food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have come across these stores myself, and other them me maybe taking the store less seriously from a business standpoint, see nothing wrong with this and have never once confused these for ratings. The only thing I'm getting from the OP's post is they seem to buy from ratings only and got themselves confused and are now mad about it.....>.>

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.. but if you are buying an item just because it's rated highly, then wtf?! I always read a few of the best and a few of the worst reviews before buying an item (especially if I can't demo it, because if there's a demo then just demo it?)

Rather then looking at the ratings, I prefer to read the review, sometimes they give a good clue to them item, like a lot of bad reviews can be someone not knowing the product, or someone actually finding an issue (often the former), combined with a demo, I can usually discern if I should make the purchase or not. I would never even think to just buy something because of the rating it had and don't even pay attention to them, they are often misleading....

Also as someone who practically lives on the MP for shopping, browsing, etc, I don't think these even remotely look like ratings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

[...]The only thing I'm getting from the OP's post is they seem to buy from ratings only and got themselves confused and are now mad about it.....>.>

It would be great if people were sticking to arguments and facts instead of (falsely) interpreting why somebody may criticize something and attacking them ("they're just mad lol").

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.. but if you are buying an item just because it's rated highly, then wtf?!

This thread is not about the question if ratings are useful or not in general. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's intention of the thread, or what the OP is criticizing. That's simply off topic. (as this thread is typical of these forums as some people have already tried or successfully led it off topic, simply because they don't share the OP's opinion or don't like their arguments.) Apart from that, saying that it's OK to try to fool someone because ratings themselves aren't useful is pretty weak.

Also as someone who practically lives on the MP for shopping, browsing, etc, I don't think these even remotely look like ratings.

Can you imagine that there are people who don't live on the marketplace? Who possibly visit the marketplace just once a week? Maybe once a month? Imagine that there are newbies? Nobody (I have no reason to assume the OP does) here is making the argument that you could mistake the fake rating for a real rating if you look closely or live on the marketplace.

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I have come across these stores myself, and other them me maybe taking the store less seriously from a business standpoint, see nothing wrong with this and have never once confused these for ratings. The only thing I'm getting from the OP's post is they seem to buy from ratings only and got themselves confused and are now mad about it.....>.>

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.. but if you are buying an item just because it's rated highly, then wtf?! I always read a few of the best and a few of the worst reviews before buying an item (especially if I can't demo it, because if there's a demo then just demo it?)

Rather then looking at the ratings, I prefer to read the review, sometimes they give a good clue to them item, like a lot of bad reviews can be someone not knowing the product, or someone actually finding an issue (often the former), combined with a demo, I can usually discern if I should make the purchase or not. I would never even think to just buy something because of the rating it had and don't even pay attention to them, they are often misleading....

J/K, lol. But no, you completely missed my point. I do not buy on just ratings. My point, that i thought i made clear, is that it could be potentially misleading for people. I'm not sure why you would think that i am mad. I don't get mad on the internet, because, well, i'm on the internet, lol.

Good try though. ;) 

• Haha 2

On 10/29/2023 at 1:43 AM, xDancingStarx said:

It would be great if people were sticking to arguments and facts instead of (falsely) interpreting why somebody may criticize something and attacking them ("they're just mad lol").

This thread is not about the question if ratings are useful or not in general. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's intention of the thread, or what the OP is criticizing. That's simply off topic. (as this thread is typical of these forums as some people have already tried or successfully led it off topic, simply because they don't share the OP's opinion or don't like their arguments.) Apart from that, saying that it's OK to try to fool someone because ratings themselves aren't useful is pretty weak.

Can you imagine that there are people who don't live on the marketplace? Who possibly visit the marketplace just once a week? Maybe once a month? Imagine that there are newbies? Nobody (I have no reason to assume the OP does) here is making the argument that you could mistake the fake rating for a real rating if you look closely or live on the marketplace.

1: I'm only stating what it looks like, because why else would someone come on and complain about something so stupid that almost no one else has had issue with for the amount of years the MP has been around. Also, since your talking of facts, what facts do you have for this being a scam other then people not being able to read, since almost no one else here has ever once confused these for ratings. Show me your facts or continue to nitpick, your choice and the OP's (if they even talk the time to read, since they can't even read a MP post it seems. ) will show me and everyone else here who the idiots are.

2: Yes it is, because if the OP was upset about the false rating system, then they are obviously using it to some regard to influence their purchase (because if they aren't why complain about something they aren't using), in which case this becomes important. Also the fact that literally no one else is fooled here, shows it's not a scam, and anyone who thinks these are real rating needs to improve their reading comprehension skills. It's not a vendor's fault if someone can't read and understand where the ratings are.

3: You don't need to live on the MP, you just need to understand it's layout (which isn't hard), so again, reading comprehension for the win! We can't make things idiot proof, only idiot resistant, at some point someone is still responsible for their own lack of comprehension.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, CaithLynnSayes said:

J/K, lol. But no, you completely missed my point. I do not buy on just ratings. My point, that i thought i made clear, is that it could be potentially misleading for people. I'm not sure why you would think that i am mad. I don't get mad on the internet, because, well, i'm on the internet, lol.

Good try though. ;) 

I didn't miss your point, I just don't agree with it, but considering many INTP's I've met are usually full of themselves, I'd expect no less of a response, since your likely only looking to make people agree with you/look for for others who agree with you. Have fun with that approach in your real life.

Perhaps you should take the advice in your own public profile "

Getting offended by something you saw on the internet is like choosing to step in dog crap instead of just walking around it.

If you have no sense of humor, do yourself a favor and block me. I'm bound to offend you in some way sooner or later."

Edited by MissSweetViolet
Adding on
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After reading this whole thread, this is a much ado about nothing situation. As a leading representative of  the categories "hardly goes to the market place", "rarely comes to second life", and "doesn't buy much of anything on second life". 

There is not a single remotely misleading thing about this. Literally nothing, unless their  king of the idiots and in that case their fooled by everything and there is no amount of caution that can save them. 

The lack of reading comprehension on this thread is also just astounding and sad. What a waste of time. Honestly. This thread is more misleading than the stars on the shop names 😂

Edited by LoveableChristy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

1: I'm only stating what it looks like, because why else would someone come on and complain about something so stupid that almost no one else has had issue with for the amount of years the MP has been around. Also, since your talking of facts, what facts do you have for this being a scam other then people not being able to read, since almost no one else here has ever once confused these for ratings. Show me your facts or continue to nitpick, your choice and the OP's (if they even talk the time to read, since they can't even read a MP post it seems. ) will show me and everyone else here who the idiots are.

2: Yes it is, because if the OP was upset about the false rating system, then they are obviously using it to some regard to influence their purchase (because if they aren't why complain about something they aren't using), in which case this becomes important. Also the fact that literally no one else is fooled here, shows it's not a scam, and anyone who thinks these are real rating needs to improve their reading comprehension skills. It's not a vendor's fault if someone can't read and understand where the ratings are.

3: You don't need to live on the MP, you just need to understand it's layout (which isn't hard), so again, reading comprehension for the win! We can't make things idiot proof, only idiot resistant, at some point someone is still responsible for their own lack of comprehension.

I didn't miss your point, I just don't agree with it, but considering many INTP's I've met are usually full of themselves, I'd expect no less of a response, since your likely only looking to make people agree with you/look for for others who agree with you. Have fun with that approach in your real life.

Perhaps you should take the advice in your own public profile "

Getting offended by something you saw on the internet is like choosing to step in dog crap instead of just walking around it.

If you have no sense of humor, do yourself a favor and block me. I'm bound to offend you in some way sooner or later."

Lol... just.... lol. I'm not even going to respond to that.

I avoid the Marketplace as much as possible. Ninety percent of everything on Marketplace is crap… but then, it's well established that ninety percent of everything is crap.

Still… a search for merchants and stores with "★" in their names returns twelve pages of stores. I defy anybody to make it through those twelve pages without a firm conviction that ninety percent of Marketplace is indeed crap, and the more unicode curlicues, the crappier it all looks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.