How would you feel if Second Life had a like/dislike rating for residents?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Haha never done barrel racing but I can imagine it being a fun game. Like you, I've had competitive type experiences throughout my life that were beneficial to me in various ways.

I think, however, our Western world over-emphasizes competitiveness over cooperation to its detriment. We are way too close to a nuclear war because we do not value the importance of cooperation as well. There are ways to teach our children cooperation along with competition and they are not emphasized enough.
When we look at aboriginal tribes, both past and present, we see fierce competition, but we also see much more cooperation between individual members and between tribes than we see in much of the Western world societies.

It's interesting that many believe evolution was just a 'dog-eat-dog' climb to the top, but studies show that even on the most basic physical levels cooperation was, and still is, crucial for the evolution of life.

I look at it like this.. Everything in nature is competing with something.. Things that coexist are usually doing so because it benefits one or the other or both against another threat..

On every level of nature  this exists.. We think because we are so intelligent that we are a step above the rest and some how better.. If you ask me, a lot of times it feels like more of a curse than an advantage..

Look at us now.. Slumped over getting our heads filled constantly by technology because of our need to know.. Might as well be a shock collar on cow inside an invisible fence teaching us where the lines are.. Because the world feels more like a cattle drive nowadays more than  it ever has.. This side feeding us this the other side feeding us that...Lets pick a lane and filler up.. hehehe

The thing about us is, we mostly see things at our eye level.. We tend to forget what we really are.. We are part of nature, where many think, there is nature and then there is us..That kind of thinking came about because of being programmed to think that way..

My biggest threat at the moment is, there is a mound of fireants about 6 feet away from the back door.. Nuclear war is just gonna have to be put on hold for the day.. hehehe

Just now, HeathcliffMontague said:

OK, breaking my own rule of not posting before not having read the vast majority of the answers first, but... WTF? Is this a thing? Way to go to bring SL even more downward the social medial spiral to its final death.

It's not a thing, but it used to be years ago.. I think it was still around in either late 2006 or early 2007..Something like that..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I look at it like this.. Everything in nature is competing with something.. Things that coexist are usually doing so because it benefits one or the other or both against another threat..

On every level of nature  this exists.. We think because we are so intelligent that we are a step above the rest and some how better.. If you ask me, a lot of times it feels like more of a curse than an advantage..

Look at us now.. Slumped over getting our heads filled constantly by technology because of our need to know.. Might as well be a shock collar on cow inside an invisible fence teaching us where the lines are.. Because the world feels more like a cattle drive nowadays more than  it ever has.. This side feeding us this the other side feeding us that...Lets pick a lane and filler up.. hehehe

The thing about us is, we mostly see things at our eye level.. We tend to forget what we really are.. We are part of nature, where many think, there is nature and then there is us..That kind of thinking came about because of being programmed to think that way..

My biggest threat at the moment is, there is a mound of fireants about 6 feet away from the back door.. Nuclear war is just gonna have to be put on hold for the day.. hehehe

Oh I very much subscribe to the notion that humans are a part of nature and not superior to it. In fact, I try to show that in the nature art I create (where humans feel small in the face of the much greater aspects of non-human elements surrounding them).

But the fact that humans evolved with cooperation being as much a part of their development as competition is often overlooked with the dog-eat-dog mindset  being touted as the only way humans have been (and should be). With this belief (competition being the only way) the justification of the domination of some by others is seen as natural and promoted as the best way for humans to be, and goals are put forth to achieve these results.

Here's some info about the importance of cooperation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperation_(evolution)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781880/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh I very much subscribe to the notion that humans are a part of nature and not superior to it. In fact, I try to show that in the nature art I create (where humans feel small in the face of the much greater aspects of non-human elements surrounding them).

But the fact that humans evolved with cooperation being as much a part of their development as competition is often overlooked with the dog-eat-dog mindset  being touted as the only way humans have been (and should be). With this belief (competition being the only way) the justification of the domination of some by others is seen as natural and promoted as the best way for humans to be, and goals are put forth to achieve these results.

Here's some info about the importance of cooperation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperation_(evolution)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781880/

I'll have to read it later.. I need to go get momma bear on some fireants.. My youngest stepped on it and ended up getting attacked by them.. I'm just grateful that he was running and didn't have the whole mound getting up on him..

It just goes to show how quick they get on you.. If you stomp on a mound it's a good chance you're gonna have  them on you..

What's wild about them is, sometimes they'll get on you and wait before they start to bite and sting.. They kick off a pheromone that tells the others  it's time to attack..

The competition is on!! \o/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Replaced your for you're hehehe
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

kick ass, girl!   lol

btw, ants are a very cooperative species and appear to have very little in the way of a separate self -- that's likely why they're so successful.

but they are no match for the Ceka and the defense of her children !!!

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's not a thing, but it used to be years ago.. I think it was still around in either late 2006 or early 2007..Something like that..

LL killed it in 2005. 

Edit: It won't let me strike through so here's me correcting my typo. 2007. 

image.png.364730337786aba247aebef44172d135.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

56 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'll have to read it later.. I need to go get momma bear on some fireants.. My youngest stepped on it and ended up getting attacked by them.. I'm just grateful that he was running and didn't have the whole mound getting up on him..

It just goes to show how quick they get on you.. If you stomp on a mound it's a good chance you're gonna have  them on you..

What's wild about them is, sometimes they'll get on you and wait before they start to bite and sting.. They kick off a pheromone that tells the others  it's time to attack..

A whole battalion crawls up to about knee height and then one gives the bite order.

4a2a873f-8966-409b-a35f-97b53280e755.717

17 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

LL killed it in 2005.

They may have killed a big part of it  at the time, but it was still on the user profile when I started.. I remember someone pointing it out and showing it to me.

ETA: I decided to do a google and found this on the wiki under the year 2007.

On April 13, Linden Lab announced the eventual removal of the profile rating system, which was used for social reputation but also prone to being abused and misunderstood.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They may have killed a big part of it  at the time, but it was still on the user profile when I started.. I remember someone pointing it out and showing it to me.

ETA: I decided to do a google and found this on the wiki under the year 2007.

On April 13, Linden Lab announced the eventual removal of the profile rating system, which was used for social reputation but also prone to being abused and misunderstood.

Crap. Must be the best typo I've ever made! 🤣

Editing to correct. Thanks!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.