Video Story on SL in Bloomberg News

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This isn't terrible. And it's obviously by someone who knows Second Life reasonably well, and uses it.

But it really doesn't address the things (notably, the unique mode of content creation here) that makes SL unique and, arguably, still successful.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1689625896867819520?s=20

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Skip Twitter and go direct to Bloomberg.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-04/second-life-s-20th-birthday-reminds-world-the-metaverse-can-work

It's not bad. The video of SL is of good quality, and it's recent. The new WelcomeHub is shown. The comments are quite positive.

The speaker uses Second Life. At the end, he says he only responds to furries with a tail. Really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

*watersprays Lion*

X! it's X now

And that is rightfully so correct.
I crossed Twitter from my list more than a year ago already. Or is it two (Time flies when having fun).

• Like 2

I liked the video though there are somethings that aren't quite accurate.  Are we sure the lab didn't commission or suggest this?  The new Welcome Hub is in the video and usually videos about SL show the world from 5 years or more ago.  It's great either way though and shows SL in a great way in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

I watched the whole thing. I would say, History 8, Insight 1

He did observe that SL is a niche but otherwise has no insight into why various worlds succeed or fail (for example, doesn't notice that Meta failed because they fundamentally have no clue as to what an avatar is).

If you are interested in this type of analysis, I highly recommend James Au Wagner's recent book. I realize some of my fellow posters have issues with Mr. Wagner, however, there are insights to be had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

I watched the whole thing. I would say, History 8, Insight 1

He did observe that SL is a niche but otherwise has no insight into why various worlds succeed or fail (for example, doesn't notice that Meta failed because they fundamentally have no clue as to what an avatar is).

If you are interested in this type of analysis, I highly recommend James Au Wagner's recent book. I realize some of my fellow posters have issues with Mr. Wagner, however, there are insights to be had.

This video had total different purposes:
To tell their audience that SL is still around and that it is still relevant while others failed.
At the end it even had an invitation to come and see.

All kinds of technical analysis you wanted to see, would be way over the heads of there audience. So the reporter didn't. He only hinted here and there.

And Wagner's book had enough exposure already in the LL Blogs and when introduced around SL20B in the press, IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Writing is mostly editing.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

To tell their audience that SL is still around and that it is still relevant while others failed.

He begins by saying that Second Life is "alive and well" and then changes it to "alive". He notes that other virtual worlds have "failed". Then he asks "How?" which maybe should have been "Why?". He goes thru a brief history of SL and mentions competitors and what they do or did. At the end, he says SL might be around because the residents can do "weird stuff" we can't do other places. No harm no foul.

BTW, I did the joke about SL being "old enough to drink" first, ha ha. I agree with the use of the word "weird" as I have always said that "we are all weirdos on this bus".

I just had a thought - since Second Life is "privately held", there's really no way for anyone to "invest" in it. 

We are lucky that companies such as Bloomberg cover Second Life at all.  It makes sense that SL would be covered "now" because of all of the hubbub about "metaverses".

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I just had a thought - since Second Life is "privately held", there's really no way for anyone to "invest" in it. 

Correct if you are only considering public stock markets. However, privately held companies can borrow money from commercial lenders (who have investors) or can issue equity (stock) to venture capitalists or other "sophisticated" investors (or even employees).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.