No matter what i do, my avatars always look like this...

Aimaline

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had good mesh avatars with proper skins in the past, old system avatars, and now this new Senra avatar. I'm not gonna spend any more money since they always end up with the same light in the face.I don't know what i'm doing wrong but, they never look like what i'm seeing in other videos and they always have that SAME weird glow on their face, it's so ugly! It doesn't matter what viewer, it is the same with them all, on ultra or high settings. Even expensive skins have looked like that. I don't wear any face light or anything. I just literally added the Senra body ( i went from a fresh system avatar to it) , head, skin, everything. I'm trying to get into SL again, but, i can't get over that same result i always get.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 4.19.31 PM.png

Try changing you EEP settings to something more neutral like Nam's Optimal.Skin and Prim.  Looking in your Library folder under settings.

Right click.on setting and Apply to Self only

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Try changing you EEP settings to something more neutral like Nam's Optimal.Skin and Prim.  Looking in your Library folder under settings.

Oh, i'm not a techie anymore, i can't find it. Any other clues where to find that and what to do in terms of steps, if you can? Thanks!

At the bottom of your inventory is the Library folder.  Items LL supplies to everyone.  Open it.  Scroll to settings.  Open that.  There are several folder inside.  I'm not logged in but just open them until you find the one called Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim.  Right click on it.  From that menu, choose Apply to Self only.

Or, in the search at the top of your inventory put in Nam's Optimal Skin or just optimal skin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

At the bottom of your inventory is the Library folder.  Items LL supplies to everyone.  Open it.  Scroll to settings.  Open that.  There are several folder inside.  I'm not logged in but just open them until you find the one called Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim.  Right click on it.  From that menu, choose Apply to Self only.

Or, in the search at the top of your inventory put in Nam's Optimal Skin or just optimal skin.

IT WORKED! Thanks!!! Now others will see me like that too, i guess?

• Like 5

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

Here is how to find it in your inventory under LIBRARY then  Apply Only To Myself

image.thumb.png.5726066a44a9382d715557642723e4db.png

Yes i found it a couple of minutes ago , i am laughing at myself cause i've been trying to fix that issue for a while...and it was just one freaking click, lol. Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aimaline said:

IT WORKED! Thanks!!! Now others will see me like that too, i guess?

Nope.

What sky settings and what graphic settings are in use is entirely individual, you can't force others to turn on ALM to see your shiny latex clothes for example, or set what light sources to render shadows (sun/moon/projectors). It's possible to turn off attached lights even, which will disable any face lights on your end, but for anyone else it will make no difference.

But it's nothing worth worrying about, it's just how it is - for everyone.

• Like 2

I had no idea you could apply environmental settings to yourself like that! That is absolutely amazing!

And here I was, just finally getting used to the fact that I have permanent duck lip!

@Rowan Amore: Thank you so much for showing us this, it's really awesome how much you know, and how generous you are with all of it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Danielle Atheria said:

lol you’re mean 🤣

Terribly so! Imagine always being nice - how boring!

That reminds me, I'm way overdue for a - @Jordan Whitt

200w.gif?cid=790b7611oxp7unikkg2r6wxeyrt

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought people just used the "Dutch Angle" with their avatar always prone, when they're insecure!

I feel as if I've written multiple essays on how shooting sideways is not a 'Dutch angle', just 'terribly silly'. 

This shot from 12 Monkeys is a classic example; the angle is there to reinforce the surreal experience of the viewer, to immerse them into the chaos in the mind of Bruce's character.

12_monkeys.png?itok=EhugGMyT

This shot from Jaws uses the same technique.

cropped-133-jawshooper.jpg

Same in this shot from Sleepy Hollow.

034.jpg

It's usually around 15 degrees, and the idea (or at least name) comes from German impressionist films wherein similar effects were caused by the architecture of the sets, like this:

tumblr_mgoh631cSZ1rce5tlo1_1280.jpg

karl-freund-metropolis-von-fritz-lang.jp

Fun fact: type 'Dutch Angle' into Google. Do it.

On topic: Lighting is important. Or something.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Fun fact: type 'Dutch Angle' into Google. Do it.

I did previously Google "Dutch Angle", is why I posted what I posted. 🙂

I added on the "prone" part because certain people ALWAYS post their pictures "laying down". Sorry - I admit that is not "Dutch Angle"! (So, I was not really talking about the same thing. My bad!)

I seem to recall hearing about a movie, where Every.Single.Scene. was supposedly "Dutch Angle". I did not easily find that in Google just now.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I seem to recall hearing about a movie, where Every.Single.Scene. was supposedly "Dutch Angle". I did not easily find that in Google just now.

Not sure what film that'd be, but it sounds like a pointlessly artsy concept. It's a tool, it can be used to enhance scenes, to bring out a certain effect and to provoke certain emotions - but if you take any given image, wherein the foundation for those emotions aren't already there, and just tilt it, it is going to achieve nothing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Danielle Atheria said:

This is the only Dutch angle pic I’ve done.

There it works well. Although to get back on topic, I think the lighting is a little flooded on the subject, you're lit up from every direction whereas the car and backdrop isn't, which seems a little inconsistent. 

.. And I'm not trying to be mean this time! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Battlefield Earth? "Almost every shot in the film is at a Dutch angle, because, according to Roger Christian, he wanted the film to look like a comic book."

(I haven't seen it, but it's often mentioned by video essays talking about dutch angles. Not in a good way!)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.