Have the forums changed?

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

It would certainly be on-topic for a thread about SL supermarkets or reproductions of First Life stores,  but I struggle to see how it would be on topic for a thread about Have the forums changed?

It's too bad the higher ups can't loosen things a tad or 2. But this is the Lab's mboard and they can run it as they see fit.

• Like 1

I didn't come in SL till the end of 2018, and didn't really check out the forums. so I don't know what all changed, but reading through. I feel like it's more a people thing in general though. A forum I use to post/check on regularly back around the time I joined SL,  always had it's posts focused mostly on the off topic section. I came there to discus personality theory and instead all the posts were in the off topic section and centered around politics, social media, etc. It almost always got heated, was plagued by trolls and nearly no one posted on personality (the whole theme of the forum, or was suppose to be) I eventually got board and stopped posting. So I'm not sure this is just an SL thing, but just forums recently in general.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I eventually got board and stopped posting. So I'm not sure this is just an SL thing, but just forums recently in general.

Or maybe just people in general, talking.  I'm often amazed at how off-topic some groups I'm in tend to wander off to. Finally someone notices, usually the group leader, and brings it back around.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I give it 3 pages.

Gachas were replaced by the thread length gambling cartel. Who do I need to talk to place my bet?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

LL only do things to be seen to be doing the right thing.

It's true, being seen doing the right thing is different from doing the right thing

13 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

a lot of wise souls have moved on.

Wisdom is the smart things people do, it's also how they help others. Everyone's wise in their own way, some just present it in a compassionate way. Many don't add a feeling of caring or concern when they present their viewpoint, so others might assume it was meant to hurt and not help.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Of course, I "heard" (read, whatever) your post in Ron Swanson's voice..

@Love Zhaoying, I accuse you of being hilarious, I can't count the number of times you had me laughing. Please continue.

Hey. They say lions are lucky gamblers. You should place a bet with the topic length gambling cartel. I'll write all the pages myself, so bet ten pages.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Do bets close when the thread is locked? If not, there are plenty of old threads that can still be resurrected. 

Yes, all bets are off when the thread is locked, but Sid had some great advice.

17 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Everything that can be discussed about SL has been said, discussed, fought over at least a dozen times over the years

We can just start a new topic and use the same questions they already asked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hey, guys.

Stop tormenting the mods!

There's 118 Aubreys. Can I see a Aubrey picture of what the forums used to be like? I missed the 60's too, though I suppose you can't help me with that. I had no volkswagen bus painted with love and peace flowers, though you'd never know from my posts. Sorry guys. Love and Peace.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

To be fair, this section still isn't the most welcoming to new posters, or returning ones. It's not horrible, but it's not as welcoming as people think. It's hard to get a foot in the door and not have every other person be suspicious. New and returning posters really do have to pay close attention to everything they say and do because someone is likely to assume they're someone else. Its a weird thing but I don't think it's special to just this place, it's everywhere. People all over are more suspicious of people they don't know, which is probably a good thing, so long as it eventually works itself out. 

I can say it feels a little awkward, for me, to jump right into posts, anywhere here on the forums. I'll keep trying, because I'm stubborn like that, but I understand why some people give up. 

People don't want to befriend someone as a new avi who they didn't like in their prior or main. It's understandable, they don't want to keep repeating the same problem. That was really a helpful post, it shows how the forums look from the outside. People are more comfortable with each other if they know a little about someone's SL experiences and goals. You're already jumping in and sharing what you know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hey, guys.

Stop tormenting the mods!

I wonder what it is like to be a mod here, if they get caught up in our shenanigans, and want some threads to thrive and we are seen much like an episode of their favorite show.  Or if they just want things to run smoothly, while they begrudgingly look at the reports made against users, only to pop in to clean up the forums a bit. 

On today's episode of "Days of our  Second Life" <insert drama unfolding before our eyes>  

I wonder what the onboarding process is like, if they have to show some sort of interest in forums.  Imagine being interviewed for such a job, and being asked why you want to work as a mod for Second Life?   What does LL look for in a potential mod, someone that enjoys the forums or someone that can remain detached and shows not very much interest.

I wonder if we are more so entertainment, or a nuisance?  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When was the last time you went down to your SL Forum Supermarket, and were greeted warmly and treated with respect by the other SL Forum Supermarket shoppers? 

The SL Forum Supermarket has changed! 

I thought this was a Page Length Gambling Cartel hidden in the back of a supermarket. I told you. Bet ten pages and I'll take care of the rest. I'll pilfer blueberries while I'm there too, don't worry.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I wonder if we are more so entertainment, or a nuisance?  

I vote nuisance but I can only speak for myself.

I love your post, that's so insightful.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 3

I haven't read six pages of opinion. TLDR is one fundamental of the forums. Too much padding doesn't get read.

However,..........in 2018 when I came in new  I was made welcome and received a huge amount of help. I basically lived here when not in world. 

Over time, the often sour contributions pushed me away. The biggest push away though was from relentless chat in the avi photo threads, and long running dramas playing out here. At one time I had 15 on block.

Maybe it hasn't changed that much but my newbie eyes saw something very different to what they see now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lol.

Aubrey -- can I call you Aubrey? -- I think I love you. 🙂

I thought you said you got suspended from the forums while using an alt named Aubrey. It took me 2 days to get it. I just discovered that I'm Aubrey. Does this make sense? I think I love you too. 🙂 Smiley face too.

Edited by cirleen
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cirleen said:

I thought you said you got suspended from the forums while using an alt named Aubrey. It took me 2 days to get it. I just discovered that I'm Aubrey. Does this make sense? I think I love you too. 🙂 Smiley face too.

lol

Yes, you are Aubrey. You didn't realize? That's just even more adorable. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

We can post what we're listening to, or watching, or what our avatar or SL look like nowadays, have a grumble about our pet peeves

It surprised me when I first found out the lab allows topics not directly connected to SL, especially movies and music. They know the value of creativity.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.