Endless Friend List Problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The issues with the friend list continue to worsen.  People who are online often show as offline and conversely people show as online who are not. IMs are failing as well sometimes - they will go to offline randomly during a conversation, which is very disruptive. How is such a basic feature so fundamentally broken? It has been worsening for months. It would happen periodically in the past, but this year so far has been abysmal in terms of performance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

The issues with the friend list continue to worsen.  People who are online often show as offline and conversely people show as online who are not. IMs are failing as well sometimes - they will go to offline randomly during a conversation, which is very disruptive. How is such a basic feature so fundamentally broken? It has been worsening for months. It would happen periodically in the past, but this year so far has been abysmal in terms of performance.

IKR, and it's really messing up my ability to argue with people. I got an offline appearing to agree with me but it was actually a different discussion on a previous day, and so I had a missed opportunity to argue more with her   :(

• Haha 2

The above was a tongue-in-cheek post, but seriously, the place is borked.

I keep getting offline messages from past conversations and it's causing mass confusion.  Sometimes they don't arrive at all , and I only discover those cases when the missing message becomes known through someone asking if I got such-and-such a message, a bit peeved at receiving no response.

Edited by Luna Bliss

56 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I find that they all work just fine if you're wearing pants.

Perhaps the problem is at your end? (So to speak.)

😀

• Haha 2

It's an interesting bug in how critical it is (really, while it's not grid breaking it does really harm core functionality) yet has been around for so long, we're talking many months now.

The length of time to fix it suggests a cause hasn't been identified which is odd given you'd assume any update to the server will be tracked and there should be a pretty solid indication of when the friends list bug started happening.

edit: not months, we're probably looking at over a year now.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

Let's approach this positively: At least Tilia (except when approached with Firefox and the Dark Reader active) and billing always work flawless . Priorities, priorities.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Latin..... ugh.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I agree. Who needs friends, anyway? 

That there are social people in our world is no more than a meme to start with.
Everybody stands around on their private platform and land, only spending L$ in events and on the marketplace and everybody is buying Linden Dollars until goes no more, happily waiting until the next tier and account fees are due.
Nobody wants to contact others ever. Right?
Lets improve some lightning effects or something first.*

* There might be some traces of sarcasm in the above text.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Feels a lot the same as those many, many months when we didn't have a functional world map. Although to be honest, the world map is a more important feature. I already got the vast majority of my friends on Discord since the in-world social/group system has always been unreliable at best. 

Just now, FullPermBliss said:

Don't scratch me mean kitty!  hehe

As crazy as it might sound here is my reasoning:

Old SL was coded with a lot of UDP  - if some information does not get to you, you'll never know

Now assume the online status message can get lost... (we de facto know it can get lost)

How do you force a second sending of everybody's online status? Relogs are a proven remedy in many of those cases, but they are annoying.

Is there something that might also force a renewal of that list while staying online?

I have the strong suspicion that changes in your contacts list (blocking status, friend status .. whatever) cause a "something did change" routine which includes a renewed sending of everybody's online status...

Just a script-kitty view on things, but I'm a kitty - no scientist, somebody has to field test the theory while I sniff catnip and purr.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.