Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few posts back (before I slept) - I'm not going to get specific or quote anyone - it was implied that some are in the Forums using Alts as RolePlay, using RolePlay opinions, arguments, etc.

If that's the case - and these "always RolePlay" (Alt) users are posting in the Forum in supposedly serious threads, about supposedly serious topics..

Why should we take seriously the statements of these "supposedly always RolePlaying in all posts" users? Isn't it fair, if "we" detect (in part by their own statements) a user to always be RolePlaying - even in their discussion points and arguments, that "we" take the position that they are playing some kind of long-game Forum Trolling? Alts and all?

The minute someone admits their Forum opinions and/or arguments are part of some (Alt) RolePlay, I just want to ignore / disengage.

How can I possibly see discussing something with an admittedly "always roleplaying Alt" user as "fun"? I think it's only "fun" for them.

All of this is on topic, as it's about people using Alts in the Forum. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

15 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Well actually all I was looking for was to get a feel about how others felt about posting pictures of an alt under the alts name rather then the main, but that question pretty much got swept out to sea by the tsunami.

Expand  

I actually missed this little tidbit.  Glad I saw it quoted.

They didn't post it until page 10! There was absolutely no way to know this is what they wanted to discuss. Could have been a much shorter thread, unless we "went there anyway". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So what about the whataboutisms? If the shoe fits, then take responsibility for it. If one is crying about the sins of others while their own eye is blinded by their own inconsistencies, should one not be open to having it pointed out in the same way they are trying to point out the issues of others?

..but you're the one complaining in your post about how other people use the Forum, accusing them of being inconsistent, etc..so, how's that shoe fit?

That's like saying, "Sure, but other villains are bad too".

So what? If you need to distract by pointing at other people, what's that say? 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

This is 19 pages of overthinking the question.

My alts have posted pictures in the avi section, but not for a long time. My alts think the way I tell em. So there would be no point hearing their views.

I never look beyond the SL event horizon. That keeps it simple. If you want to go play, there are plenty of red flags with alts. I ignored them once willingly, and got hurt. I ended it swiftly. It won't happen again.

But here, I see what people think. I never argue. My RL opinions stay in RL. I never even think who might be an alt on the forums so it's not on my radar at all.

And as if by magic, as if to prove me wrong, an alt troll breaks cover in a nearby thread.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

/me opens the door to the room sticking out a white handkerchief on a very very long stick.

Don't shoot, please. I'm not an alt. I just renamed my account after many years. Still the same despicable me .. :P

Bye !

Reels in stick and handkerchief and quickly shuts door again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:

/me opens the door to the room sticking out a white handkerchief on a very very long stick.

Don't shoot, please. I'm not an alt. I just renamed my account after many years. Still the same despicable me .. :P

Bye !

Not enough info.B|

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Not enough info.B|

/me yells from behind the door.

More info at my profile.

Further info requires need to know basis .. especially in these forums ... :P

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:

Bye !

It's good that you have your previous name on your profile.  Thank you, I now know who you were.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..but you're the one complaining in your post about how other people use the Forum, accusing them of being inconsistent, etc..so, how's that shoe fit?

That's like saying, "Sure, but other villains are bad too".

So what? If you need to distract by pointing at other people, what's that say? 

No, I've been responding to people complaining about how other people are using the forums.

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A few posts back (before I slept) - I'm not going to get specific or quote anyone - it was implied that some are in the Forums using Alts as RolePlay, using RolePlay opinions, arguments, etc.

If that's the case - and these "always RolePlay" (Alt) users are posting in the Forum in supposedly serious threads, about supposedly serious topics..

Why should we take seriously the statements of these "supposedly always RolePlaying in all posts" users? Isn't it fair, if "we" detect (in part by their own statements) a user to always be RolePlaying - even in their discussion points and arguments, that "we" take the position that they are playing some kind of long-game Forum Trolling? Alts and all?

The minute someone admits their Forum opinions and/or arguments are part of some (Alt) RolePlay, I just want to ignore / disengage.

How can I possibly see discussing something with an admittedly "always roleplaying Alt" user as "fun"? I think it's only "fun" for them.

Whatabout when you are posting from the perspective of your lion mascot? Are you saying the posts where you use that should be ignored?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, I've been responding to people complaining about how other people are using the forums.

What next, take away our "Right to Complain"? Must justify all complaints with a 3-part carbon-copy form? Must submit all Complaints to the "Complaint Department"?

Or, if you are "Complaining about our Complaining", then..* head essplodes *

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Whatabout when you are posting from the perspective of your lion mascot? Are you saying the posts where you use that should be ignored?

Below, I have added some emphasis with larger fonts, italics, bold, and possibly even capitalization in case you or someone else misses my point. I am not "shouting"

I strongly believe that you missed or ignored where in my post that you quoted, I used the word "always" several times.  I used the term "always" because I was responding to "someone's" post that they "always" RolePlay in the Forums, even with their opinions, etc. I didn't say who, I didn't name any names, I did not point any fingers.  (I also will not respond if asked "whose posts or which posts" I am referring to.)

The point in my post was, I was providing a response / reaction specifically to someone who said they are "always" RolePlaying in the Forum - even with their opinions, arguments, etc.  

Here is my post which you quoted, with the instances of "always" emphasized for easier reading.

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It seems that this tendency to draw apparent generalizations where none were intended, is a form of logical fallacy.  Google says this is called either a "Faulty Generalization", or a "Hasty Generalization".  I made no such generalization regarding people who are "sometimes" RolePlaying vs. those who admit to "always" Roleplaying in the Forums.

Perhaps I should Google "whataboutism", also: Wikipedia says, "Whataboutism or whataboutery (as in "what about…?") denotes in a pejorative sense a procedure in which a critical question or argument is not answered or discussed, but retorted with a critical counter-question which expresses a counter-accusation."  Wikipedia categorizes "whataboutism" as a "propaganda technique", of type "appeal to hypocrisy", and also as a "logical fallacy".  Basically, "whataboutism" is used as a weak argument.

If I use RolePlay in the Forum "sometimes", that is not "always". 

There is no "whatabout" here.  I do not always RolePlay in the Forum.  The opinions and arguments I use are my actual, "real life" opinions and arguments.  (Caveats: 1. Unless I am, of course, providing an "ironic" take on something attempting humor, etc. 2. Unless I am indeed RolePlaying as a "lion"; I will not actually eat anyone. Duh.)

Reminder: The topic is about Alts in the Forum. I have already made statements regarding my own use of my own "Alt".  This "whataboutism" is not really about Alts, so far as I can tell.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 2

Those whose boundaries are different than yours are not going to change much, if at all.  It's very much like making a friend in 1st or 2nd life...there comes a time when we expect a greater degree of authenticity from a person, and this varies from person to person, and so there are no clear lines.

I agree there should be no rules about it, and of course there is not on the forum, but you attempting to convince others to have your boundaries will bear no fruit.  Maybe you should just drop it?

• Thanks 1

Role play probably deserves its own thread. I've only ever seen it in fragile form, where like snow on the window, it dilutes rapidly into the real person.

In the forums I don't see what benefit it brings. In world, to be honest, depending on the "role" it can become irritating and or distracting fast.

Role playing alts here  or in world takes enormous effort, and in most cases, people duck behind alts to be controversial. That's me generalising.

Trolling is just being controversial for the sake of it. My Mom told me that low-light dwellers bereft of intellect have no opinion worth a second glance anyway, and she knew everything. Until she had me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A little of both.

Bottom line for me is that there are more cases for the legitimate uses of multiple alts on the forum than there are for their restrictions. If a poster believes that another poster is not authentic or an alt then one can simply block seeing their posts. That is the common answer to anything we don't like about others on the forum. The running around accusing others of being an alt does nothing but cause distrust in the community, especially since the accusations are often a little ambiguous in their delivery leaving others wondering who the accuser was meaning. 

Or like the accusation that you are someone you are not; you wonder who the hell you're supposed to be. Hopefully that bs has finally stopped.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Perhaps it is the only way they can get those thoughts, feelings and opinions out into the open because they have difficulty expressing themselves as themselves, so they aren't bottling it all up.

• Thanks 1

Some people are like a train wreck.  You can't look away.  Doesn't mean you're a fan of train wrecks but come on, who doesn't enjoy someone else's drama?  Especially when they cause it themselves.  And then...compound said drama by making a thread about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillFletcher said:

talk.jpg

If the Hidenburg disaster happened right in front of me, I'd watch it too. Doesn't mean I like it. 

The sl forums aren't what they used to be. I see it as a tiny, dysfunctional echo chamber full of forum nannies but at least there's lolz.

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 4

Some people like to watch others with problems so as to have enemies, as if their very life and identity depended on having something to hate.

Not saying anybody here is doing that...just giving other reasons why some like to pay close attention to  those they basically dislike.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.