Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

This whole thread seems to be about the issues between the OP and one poster that also seems to be just an edge case and not the experience nor concern of many others.

I agree!

It did provide some interesting discussion tho!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

By knowing "who" they really are I'm meaning we have to know which avatar they are.  I do agree in having some consistency for those who need that.

For example, I would never try and engage Rowan with another avatar as I know that's so disturbing for her.

Even though you have in the past.  It's not disturbing to me.  It's, for the most part, amusing to me when people think they're fooling people when they aren't.  A Roll My Eyes moment.  Here we go again, kind of thing.

My whole objection is not even that people are doing it maliciously as we rarely see that.  Post your alt in the picture threads.  Post them wherever you'd like.  Posting as some brand new person just learning about SL?  Why?  It's not malicious but it sure makes me question their honesty in general.  

• Like 5

Just now, Rowan Amore said:
15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

By knowing "who" they really are I'm meaning we have to know which avatar they are.  I do agree in having some consistency for those who need that.

For example, I would never try and engage Rowan with another avatar as I know that's so disturbing for her.

Even though you have in the past.  It's not disturbing to me.  It's, for the most part, amusing to me when people think they're fooling people when they aren't.  A Roll My Eyes moment.  Here we go again, kind of thing.

yeah but Rowan, you don't know the whole backstory of why I took an alt to defend myself against this malicious woman. She'd been after me a long while.  And I was so silly I think it freaked her out and she left...lol.  Finally, victory!

Fortunately, attacks like that aren't allowed anymore with the new moderation.  I'm very happy with that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

yeah but Rowan, you don't know the whole backstory of why I took an alt to defend myself against this malicious woman. She'd been after me a long while.  And I was so silly I think it freaked her out and she left...lol.  Finally, victory!

Fortunately, attacks like that aren't allowed anymore with the new moderation.  I'm very happy with that.

Yes, well some people probably don't belong here, I agree.  😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's not my real life name either.  But nice straw man tactic!

My name, my likeness, my opinions are exactly the same here as inworld.  My opinions are also those of my RL self.

As I stated earlier, I'm on another forum with my RL name and opinions which I stand by.  I don't post there with a pseudonym.  That would be dishonest IMO.  You're welcome to yours.

Not really a straw man considering that many of us understand that there are separations between the real world and Secondlife and as such there are things I am ok with inworld that I would not be ok with in the Real world. Posting as an avatar account those viewpoints within the context of SL are a reflection of one particular alt's views as it regards his or her particular roleplay and may not extend to other alt's or the viewpoints in the outside world. The context of the thread and the account I use (if I used more than one) should determine which viewpoint to use.

Raises hand

Hi, I'm Casidy, I'm not new to sl or the forums. See I even have an old last name. I spent too much time replacing my sl knowledge with rl knowledge and fun things when I ran away. I'm too lazy to be more than one person. I'm terrible at rp. I used to wear the same outfit for a week or more because figuring clothes out was a hell I'd not wish on the devil himself. I only just remembered how to build in sl again yesterday and broke my house five times before I got it right. I don't plan on replacing the doors I deleted, it can suffer. I can often be found screaming obscenities into the void. I blame the substances and rl. I like music. I like most people. Sometimes I'm funny, sometimes I'm a *****, sometimes I'm just trying to find information and sometimes I'm bored. 

Also, I recognize some of the names here, but I don't know a damn one of you. My bad. There, now you all know me. Where do I go to get my one week chip or whatever the hell it is we hand out here once people know you? Is it really a chip? I'm probably going to lose it, or eat it, if it tastes good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

Where do I go to get my one week chip or whatever the hell it is we hand out here once people know you? Is it really a chip? I'm probably going to lose it, or eat it, if it tastes good. 

You seem pretty strange so you'll fit right in....handing you a chip   :)   ;0

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Posting as an avatar account those viewpoints within the context of SL are a reflection of one particular alt's views as it regards his or her particular roleplay and may not extend to other alt's or the viewpoints in the outside world.

That would be a very narrow group of threads.and still you're talking RP.  The thread about feeling more vulnerable as a female avatar is an example.  Sure, post your thoughts with the alt you use as a female.  

My views on pretty much anything SL related are MY views and even if I were involved in RP, they would be MY views.  Not some make believe character.  If you honestly have differing views on things depending on which avatar you're using, well....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A couple "whataboutisms" in there. I thought "personal responsibility" was the answer to everything? Maybe that wasn't you. 

So what about the whataboutisms? If the shoe fits, then take responsibility for it. If one is crying about the sins of others while their own eye is blinded by their own inconsistencies, should one not be open to having it pointed out in the same way they are trying to point out the issues of others?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So what about the whataboutisms? If the shoe fits, then take responsibility for it. If one is crying about the sins of others while their own eye is blinded by their own inconsistencies, should one not be open to having it pointed out in the same way they are trying to point out the issues of others?

As the pictures I post are in the Your Avatar section, I'm not sure where the inconsistency lies.  I consistently post pictures of how my avatar looks.  Almost always in the How does your avatar look today thread.  I post pics of how my avatar looks that day.  Or were you insinuating something else about someone else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

think that most of us would agree that if someone is using an alt merely to express an opinion, it's not really an issue

Well I don't think its that simple. Probably most opinions it doesn't matter. But I think it is poor form indeed for a man to post an opinion that impacts women in RL, say for an example transgendered women competing in woman's sports. It is Ok to have and post an opinion but that should clearly come from a man,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Knowing who they *really* are is beyond the scope of this forum.

Hmmm, at the risk of "thinking" and going to that horrible deeper place, let's discuss this more.  From seeing what you laugh at and the jokes you make, I know what you find funny. I've seen you be caring when someone was down or being picked on. I've seen you agree or disagree with all sorts of commentary. I've seen you express some pain (around your landlady, some time ago, and revealing some of your weaknesses in the process). And much much more that doesn't come to mind -- so much of our impressions about another remain on a subconscious level.

Maybe I know you better than if you were suddenly sitting in my room across from me.

Ok, I have to be silly now.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

Raises hand

Hi, I'm Casidy, I'm not new to sl or the forums. See I even have an old last name. I spent too much time replacing my sl knowledge with rl knowledge and fun things when I ran away. I'm too lazy to be more than one person. I'm terrible at rp. I used to wear the same outfit for a week or more because figuring clothes out was a hell I'd not wish on the devil himself. I only just remembered how to build in sl again yesterday and broke my house five times before I got it right. I don't plan on replacing the doors I deleted, it can suffer. I can often be found screaming obscenities into the void. I blame the substances and rl. I like music. I like most people. Sometimes I'm funny, sometimes I'm a *****, sometimes I'm just trying to find information and sometimes I'm bored. 

Also, I recognize some of the names here, but I don't know a damn one of you. My bad. There, now you all know me. Where do I go to get my one week chip or whatever the hell it is we hand out here once people know you? Is it really a chip? I'm probably going to lose it, or eat it, if it tastes good. 

Sorry, the 12-Step program is down the hall.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

As the pictures I post are in the Your Avatar section, I'm not sure where the inconsistency lies.  I consistently post pictures of how my avatar looks.  Almost always in the How does your avatar look today thread.  I post pics of how my avatar looks that day.  Or were you insinuating something else about someone else?

A little of both.

Bottom line for me is that there are more cases for the legitimate uses of multiple alts on the forum than there are for their restrictions. If a poster believes that another poster is not authentic or an alt then one can simply block seeing their posts. That is the common answer to anything we don't like about others on the forum. The running around accusing others of being an alt does nothing but cause distrust in the community, especially since the accusations are often a little ambiguous in their delivery leaving others wondering who the accuser was meaning. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A little of both.

Bottom line for me is that there are more cases for the legitimate uses of multiple alts on the forum than there are for their restrictions. If a poster believes that another poster is not authentic or an alt then one can simply block seeing their posts. That is the common answer to anything we don't like about others on the forum. The running around accusing others of being an alt does nothing but cause distrust in the community, especially since the accusations are often a little ambiguous in their delivery leaving others wondering who the accuser was meaning. 

Never said anything about restricting alts.   And I disagree with there being more legitimate uses than not.

The thread was started by someone who already has confirmed their use of alts and asked for our opinions.  Nothing ambiguous about that or my opinion.

• Like 2

@Rowan Amore Sorry if my post was confusing, I just so happened to type it in after yours. It was a random comment & not a response to what you had written.

12 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I pretty much agree, but if we look at cases of those with Dissociative Identities (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder) we can see that the same personality does not always "shine through", as you say.

13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Someone who's a sociopath, narcissist, habitual liar, or cognative empath might be able to act like they're someone else easier than someone's who's used to just being themself.

There's truth to that thankfully those cases are rare, but Eddy made it clear by asking

3 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

But what about the heartless or those with black voids where the heart should be? What do you suggest they do then?

Heartless people have a blank heart, it's like a blank mind, subconsciously. Like a black hole, they try to pull in content. We all have desires we try to attract, but these people bring out the worse in us. If we notice how we respond, we learn from it. A practical joker is a milder form of it and it's not that hard to sense a heartless person. It feels like being pulled in against our will by the black hole's gravitational forces until we reach the event horizon where we are forever stuck in time, addicted to a heartless life, until time bending gravity mushes us up into its dreaded nickel iron core.

12 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Well actually all I was looking for was to get a feel about how others felt about posting pictures of an alt under the alts name rather then the main, but that question pretty much got swept out to sea by the tsunami.

Sorry OP. Off on astronomy now. But I think the motive of why people make malicious alts is relevant. I love you, OP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are we still debating the use of alts in the forums?

I want to add, even though it is probably an unpopular opinion, that I do not mind seeing rp characters in the forums posting in character.   If I recognize it quick enough, I try to join in.  It can be a fun, different, and refreshing break from all the "real" people posting as themselves. 

I've met many people inworld after interacting with their forum characters. Some of them are VERY convincing with their RP.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Well actually all I was looking for was to get a feel about how others felt about posting pictures of an alt under the alts name rather then the main, but that question pretty much got swept out to sea by the tsunami.

I'd like to try and give you some of my own insights which might help with why we ended up here.

Firstly the title, "Alts in the forums".  Once a topic gets to a reasonable size, some people will only read the title before responding and assume you're asking if they are OK in a general sense.

Secondly, if we take a look at the first part of the OP:

On 7/23/2023 at 7:07 AM, BillFletcher said:

I was thinking about this recently, and yes i know I might be opening a can of worms that leads to this thread getting shut down or deleted, but oh well.

We all know that there are alts here in the forms, and probably there are some we don't even know about.

If people got this far reading, it still looks pretty generic and seemingly about alts on the forum in general.

So my thought was I wonder what people think of that, not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here.

You then express your thought and wonder here.  You make vague mention about the topic being about some specific aspect of alts but you haven't yet revealed it.  In addition, whatever the specific aspect is, because you also say "not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here" you are in fact saying that the topic could include those other non-specific aspects of alts too.

I know of a couple of guys with female alts who post pictures of those alts under their main account. I do that different posting pictures under the alt account. There of course may be aly accounts here no one knows about for sure. I suppose some people might post everything in the forums under and alt they do not use regularly to do SL. 

Finally we get to the specifics of your interest in this final part.

So to recap, it's possible that many people bailed on your OP before reading the specific aspects you were interesting in discussing and secondly you didn't preclude this topic from including more generic aspects in your request.

Thirdly, conversation always wanders, it is inevitable.  As a conversation gets longer and winds it's way around the topic there is a greater chance that people will respond to more recent posts that either resonates with them or creates a discord for them and that can become a dominant focus for a while.

Finally, the tsunami you mention is because this is one of those hot button forum topics of old.  I don't believe I have ever posted in any other to the same degree or expressed these thoughts before however.

In my opinion if a topic gets this much interest you have at least achieved something, even if inadvertently.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Are we still debating the use of alts in the forums?

I want to add, even though it is probably an unpopular opinion, that I do not mind seeing rp characters in the forums posting in character.   If I recognize it quick enough, I try to join in.  It can be a fun, different, and refreshing break from all the "real" people posting as themselves. 

I've met many people inworld after interacting with their forum characters. Some of them are VERY convincing with their RP.

I would agree as long as those RP characters do not engage with anything other posts which contain light entertainment value.  Again intent is everything.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

I actually missed this little tidbit.  Glad I saw it quoted.

I don't think it matters if a main or an alt posts their look or day-in-SL photos.  Some alts may have their own lives inworld.  Mine don't.   I post everything in the forums from this one account.

Posting pics isn't usually drama inducing....

Unless someone thinks you posted in the wrong location, or post too frequently,  or type out too much story around it, or...

Nevermind. Posting pics can cause drama, too.  Welcome to the forums.

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I actually missed this little tidbit.  Glad I saw it quoted.

I don't think it matters if a main or an alt posts their look or day-in-SL photos.  Some alts may have their own lives inworld.  Mine don't.   I post everything in the forums from this one account.

Posting pics isn't usually drama inducing....

Unless someone thinks you posted in the wrong location, or post too frequently,  or type out too much story around it, or...

Nevermind. Posting pics can cause drama, too.  Welcome to the forums.

There is no winning, that is for sure 😏I think the picture threads are probably the least likely areas to get in arguments on the forums, but, I like getting entangled in other subjects and engaging with others in dialogue about things I find interesting.  In doing so it really does become difficult to accommodate others, It is one of the reasons why I find chatbots to be so interesting, I know with AI there is no real way I can offend them, or cause them distress, but they are still so limited at this time.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.