SecondLifeTime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, JJ Hoobinoo said:

IMHO it was more of a "survey" to see who would bet with RL money that SL would still be here in 8 years rather than a money-making cash grab for today's dollars. And I think, in the words of that great game show, "Survey Says...most people wouldn't bet on it."  

You could be right, but that seems like a pretty ineffective way to execute a survey.  I imagine a traditional survey would cost less and yield better insights.  Because it seems to me inaccurate to suggest the only people who could or would purchase LTMs are those who believe in SL's continued existence. 

What about those who believe in SL but don't have the funds needed, without notice for planning?  And, what about those who believe in SL but  don't think they will be around to enjoy it themselves 8 years down the road?  Also, on this very thread, a few have indicated they'd only be interested in an LTM at the Premium Plus level - they don't sound like people who wouldn't bet on SL to me. 

I don't pretend to know why the LTMs haven't sold out - but there are too many factors involved in the decision to convert for me to agree with your "most people wouldn't bet on it" conclusion.  If SL users were surveyed - I would bet (guess) over 50% would believe SL will be around in 8 years.   

I do, however, agree that the LTM offer could have sold out by now with enhanced benefits.  I wonder how long they'll continue to make the option available if it doesn't sell out. Hmm 🤔 

• Like 1

@Sid Nagy - what's this I hear about a Secondlifetime badge? Is this a previously unadvertised 'perk'? Weren't there some who believed LL would not enhance LTM benefits? "Why would they" - was the question, if I recall correctly. 

(Yes - calling a badge a benefit or a perk is a stretch - but I'm making a point here.)

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I know you "atted" Sid, but I first brought up the SecondLifetime badge because I saw it mentioned in the most recent Official Viewer release notes.

I was taking the opportunity to give Sid a mildly hard time for no good reason - I'm the youngest of 4 so it's in my nature (ha!) ... But, I also wanted to know more about the badge. I'll go check out those notes.  Thanks!

Update - Geeeesh - there's nothing to read. Just this...

• SL-19924 Add Second Lifetime badges to Profiles

I was hoping for a screenshot to get a look at the badge.  As someone who writes release notes - I'm rolling my eyes here. 

Edited by BelleBax
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2023 at 1:25 AM, Eddy Vortex said:

You know paid accounts can access 90 days of Linden dollar transaction history, right?

If you upgraded your account to Lifetime Premium, it's reduced to 30 days. What gives?

Here ye, here ye - this matter has been resolved ...at least it has been resolved on my account. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BelleBax said:

Did you ever submit a ticket?  If so, was it resolved?  They're continuing to work on my account - maybe it's a bigger challenge than I thought it would be.  

Accessing 90 days of account data is actually the Premium feature I use most - one year would be even better! (I may submit that as a nice little bonus for LTMs).  I'm kinda missing not having this feature right now 🫤 - but I know they're working on it because communications have been pretty good. 

59 minutes ago, BelleBax said:

Here ye, here ye - this matter has been resolved ...at least it has been resolved on my account. 

Yes and yes. I checked a few minutes ago and it appears to be fixed.

image.png.e005af03685cde23ffac6993a37e8599.png

• Like 2

I'm glad they added the Lifetime Premium to those of us that purchase the lifetime accounts. I initially put in a ticket to see if this would occur and glad that they did input it. All of the early Lifetime accounts have these badges on there profile. I think its neat addition. I think we can all agree that Second Life will not be going anywhere anytime soon. 

On 7/6/2023 at 2:11 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

You mean that as of today the 200 premium accounts were not sold out. That is not good news

We don't know how many of the 200 Lifetime Premium accounts they have sold. I'd bet you that 20 Lifetime Premium accounts have sold. Can we get an update on how many Lifetime Premium accounts have sold?  @Izzy Linden @Patch Linden

I'm glad to find out about this Lifetime membership offer before it's gone. Luckily the 200 Premium Lifetime offer still available. 

I have been a Premium member for more than 10 years, even though there was some years I never login. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, Neremyn said:

Premium weekly stipend is 300L$ which is the equivalent of ~ $1.23, that's $64 a year.

if they give you "lifetime" of something, they still expect to turn profit.Considering the minimal cost of $749, they probably don't expect SL to be still alive in10 years.

You think to much. The 200 Premium lifetime is really insignificant for them. Just a goodwill offer to celebrate SL20.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:18 AM, MelodyMoonflower said:

At that price why not keep it open to anyone that wants it? Also give it for free to people that have stuck around for 20 years, they surely deserve it. Just my opinion, yours may vary.

If LL does that it will go bankrupt by the end of the year. 200 Premium lifetime and 20 P.P will be within their budget to celebrate 20 years of SL.

8 hours ago, Nae Mayo said:
On 6/26/2023 at 11:18 PM, MelodyMoonflower said:

At that price why not keep it open to anyone that wants it? Also give it for free to people that have stuck around for 20 years, they surely deserve it. Just my opinion, yours may vary.

If LL does that it will go bankrupt by the end of the year. 200 Premium lifetime and 20 P.P will be within their budget to celebrate 20 years of SL.

I don't think it's that dramatic. If it's their 20th birthday, the "people that have stuck around for 20 years" cannot be that many: perhaps a few survivors from the pre-2003 beta or whatever, but it surely wouldn't bankrupt the company.

On the other hand, it would be the lamest marketing move ever: "Yay! We gave something to the half dozen beta testers still kicking, and it only took us 20 years!"

Keeping the offer(s) open for everybody probably wouldn't be good business, or at least it would suggest the company has limited expectations for the platform. Immediately, though—between now and the end of the year—it would actually boost cash flow, albeit only by some minuscule amount. The pain would come later, as the SecondLifeTime revenue fades on previous balance sheets and ongoing Premium(/Plus) subscription income is forgone.

And yet, even that might not be disastrous. The SecondLifeTime folks may well buy more tier with the money they're "saving" by not needing to pay their membership fees. Or not, but either way it's not really a "bet the company" offer. Not nearly as big a bottom line risk as a problematic Marketplace update, for example.

Some people might be willing to do 250 or 150 even for a lower price to fund it like being a sponsor even for those paying a bit more. I could say they should have a few more options like 140 , 250 , 350 also even if it was a few years.  Just to be upfront we are willing to support as we do love second life but not everyone may not have 1750 we need somethings up front with blue prints upfront before anything  but have things pay in first life.  We just need to know the facts and details and red tape both ways of teamwork.  Even if not prem how about people have choice how to use what they fund like they want a strip or land if lower cost being funded also.  I might be able to do 500 or lower just things got higher in first life gotta live to yes enjoy sl also. 

If everyone was allowed to pinch in even was 15 dollars , 25 dollars , 30 dollers , 50 dollars , 100 , dollars , 200 dollers , 300 dollars , 400 dollars , 500 dollars  so on. Not everyone may have the funds but they give what they can afford. We want to keep it going we are part of his place its are home if need help to use new things make sl better we want to help but we need more options.  This is standing together working together.  Every for smaller give little somthing in return but they get somthing the person gets somthing. If its linden back or few months of prem or somthing or group slots a choice to pick. Or few years of what so every.  SL you  gotta allow us to pinch in you can get more help open up speak up we are here.  We are in this boat together lets make it happen. 

Edited by ShaydraPromise

On 7/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, Qie Niangao said:

The SecondLifeTime folks may well buy more tier with the money they're "saving" by not needing to pay their membership fees.

That doesn't stack up.  Nobody is saving any money until at least after 7.5 years.  They've paid 7.5 years worth upfront and that cost is only partially reclaimed for each year that passes.  It's the opposite of savings until then.

For folks who don't miss that kind of upfront cost once it's paid, upping their tier wouldn't really be an issue at any time regardless of Lifetime.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

That doesn't stack up.  Nobody is saving any money until at least after 7.5 years.  They've paid 7.5 years worth upfront and that cost is only partially reclaimed for each year that passes.  It's the opposite of savings until then.

For folks who don't miss that kind of upfront cost once it's paid, upping their tier wouldn't really be an issue at any time regardless of Lifetime.

I think this is a fair statement.

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

That doesn't stack up.  Nobody is saving any money until at least after 7.5 years. …

Sure. Hence the scare quotes around "saving". But I think it would be a mistake to conclude that nobody behaves that way. There are whole industries built on monthly payments that make no rational sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Sure. Hence the scare quotes around "saving". But I think it would be a mistake to conclude that nobody behaves that way. There are whole industries built on monthly payments that make no rational sense whatsoever.

Sure but you might as well characterise that as

"People with lots of disposable income who have bought lifetime might also up their tier."

Instead of:

"People with lots of disposable income who have bought lifetime might be more likely to up their tier because they bought lifetime."

The first statement is true but equally true if you take the lifetime purchase out of the equation.

The second statement is what I interpreted your post to mean.  I cannot see any reason why buying lifetime as a factor would make any difference to anyone upping their tier.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

11 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The second statement is what I interpreted your post to mean.  I cannot see any reason why buying lifetime as a factor would make any difference to anyone upping their tier.

Right, and that's completely true rationally, but people make buying decisions for all sorts of irrational reasons. I have no data one way or another whether this thing happens, and I also have no stake in whether it does or not; it's like the polar opposite of investing advice. But my thinking goes:

Somebody pays a bunch of money as a one-time thing, which reduces their recurring costs. If they're subconsciously managing those recurring costs separately from one-time payments, their recurring cost category now has a little to spare. (This might be more plausible if the folks buying lifetime had been paying monthly premiums, but probably they were mostly on annual plans, so the monthly tier schedule wouldn't align so temptingly with now-unspent premium payments.)

Maybe I'm hypothesizing a kind of an irrational overgeneralization of managing capital and expense separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can definitely appreciate the idea that someone who has paid the Premium fee years in advance could easily decide to spend a bit on extra tier, since they no longer need to pay the Premium fees. I could see myself doing exactly that. It's in my psychological genes :)

P.S. I'm disappointed that all the 200 slots haven't yet gone, because I'm starting to feel a bit tempted again :(

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe I'm hypothesizing a kind of an irrational overgeneralization of managing capital and expense separately.

No I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day, this one time payment will be forgotten at some point of time and what remains is "free" $10 a month to re-allocate, so there is a huge Premium Plus upgrade willingness potential. But I think what matters more is that those who buy lifetime are statistically way more likely to put money or goods/services into SL than others and compared to this their (missing) monthly fee may not even matter this much from a relative perspective.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

But I think what matters more is that those who buy lifetime are statistically way more likely to put money or goods/services into SL than others and compared to this their (missing) monthly fee may not even matter this much from a relative perspective.

This is definitely true for me. I got a much better job a year ago, and I allow myself to spend more money in SL than I used to. Part of it supports the church and associated land I rented before going premium, and entertainment wise, the rest goes further here than it does in RL. :)

• Like 1

I find myself agreeing with both of you:

@Gabriele Graves is right. Hopefully, people who could make the decision to spend $1749 quickly enjoy to take advantage of the offer, have enough resources to increase their tier (or whatever other purchases they choose to make) without worry.  I don't have any interest in knowing anyone's personal business - but let us hope the SL lifetime membership fee is but a fraction of the liquid assets available to those who took advantage of the offer.

@Qie Niangao is also correct -  my LTM (Premium for $749, not Premium Plus) did replace my annual membership. The cost was part of planned discretionary spending - I just used it for SL instead of spending it on something else. However, I would not be surprised if my spending in SL increases as I now feel more invested in the platform; not because I've freed up funds. But - that's just me :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.