Rigged and unrigged shoes.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started going through my immense wardrobe of shoes and boots.  Lots of the older ones are un-rigged, and come in left and right.  I got quite good at positioning them on my Maitreya feet.  I guess the modern rigged ones are easier, and just take up one mounting point, but I find I rather like some of the old un-rigged ones.

Is there any disadvantage that I haven't spotted yet?  Or is just convenience?

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

Is there any disadvantage that I haven't spotted yet?

One I can think of would be poor LoDs on some of them. Rigged mesh "works" a bit differently, so even less than good creations tend to look okay from the distance (usually), while badly made unrigged ones will crumble to a single triangle or just disappear. But it's pretty easy to test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I started going through my immense wardrobe of shoes and boots.  Lots of the older ones are un-rigged, and come in left and right.  I got quite good at positioning them on my Maitreya feet.  I guess the modern rigged ones are easier, and just take up one mounting point, but I find I rather like some of the old un-rigged ones.

Is there any disadvantage that I haven't spotted yet?  Or is just convenience?

I still have many of my older unrigged items.  I did have to ditch a batch because they really jumped my CI.  As already mentioned, some aren't made that great and will break apart when viewed from a distance.  

Other than those 2 issues, I don't see a negative to wearing any of the older items.

• Like 1

If you wear a body the creator didn't rig for, it may seem like a good idea to have the ability to resize unrigged shoes to fit.... as long as you stay in a static pose.  They don't move with your AO.

Edited by Eddy Vortex

6 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

If you wear a body the creator didn't rig for, it may seem like a good idea to have the ability to resize unrigged shoes to fit.... as long as you stay in a static pose.  They don't move with your AO.

I can add a pair of unrigged boots and adjust them to the correct position and as I move around the boots move properly with me.  There might be some poses or animations that won't work right, but I haven't encountered any in my standard stuff.  I've probably only ever dealt with my normal stands and walks, as opposed to any other poses.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I can add a pair of unrigged boots and adjust them to the correct position and as I move around the boots move properly with me.  There might be some poses or animations that won't work right, but I haven't encountered any in my standard stuff.

Boots can work perfectly in this case, but not so much for other styles where the whole foot isn't covered. I have an old pair of penny loafers that came in Slink fit and unrigged versions. I resized the unrigged to fit my Gianni feet and thought it looked good enough. My AO had a stand with the foot tapping motion and it made my toes come out of the shoe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've occasionally gotten a pair of unrigged shoes that turned out to be a single item instead of right and left, so it would stick to one foot as I walked and completely ignore the other foot. In hindsight, I wonder if they were unlinkable? But if the creator puts in two, they have always worked fine in my experience. Boots going higher up the calf are more likely to glitch.

8 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Boots can work perfectly in this case, but not so much for other styles where the whole foot isn't covered. I have an old pair of penny loafers that came in Slink fit and unrigged versions. I resized the unrigged to fit my Gianni feet and thought it looked good enough. My AO had a stand with the foot tapping motion and it made my toes come out of the shoe.

Perhaps what happened there was that the shoes were actually attached to the lower leg instead of the foot itself. Often that would work better because certain poses that would point the feet would just look silly. When the shoes are on the lower leg there's no need for an ankle fix.

• Like 3

I actually prefer unrigged shoes. Aside from liking to wear socks (and rigged shoes not playing nicely with that), I play a kid avatar and no one makes shoes for kids anymore who aren't babies. There are a few bodies that kind of seem to fit, but it's always risky buying shoes since you can never guarantee they'll be usable. I also prefer adult styles of shoes that little little kid ones, as there's more variety and better construction.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2023 at 8:18 AM, Ze Helix said:

Perhaps what happened there was that the shoes were actually attached to the lower leg instead of the foot itself. Often that would work better because certain poses that would point the feet would just look silly. When the shoes are on the lower leg there's no need for an ankle fix.

This is interesting.  I usually attach rigged shoes to the Left Lower Leg (copying something learned log ago and now forgotten), and then thought nothing of it when I attached non-rigged to the Lower Legs too - it makes for easier 'replace' when you change shoes if they all go on the same spot.  I sometimes notice the toes on the first 'move' after attachment, but not after that.  I even tried watching with an alt, to check I wasn't fooling myself.

• Thanks 1

Depending on the age of the old shoes you may run into the invisa-prim problem.  Invisa-prims were a workaround for some then masking/alpha layer problems. At some point, the Lab solved those problems and deprecated invisa-prims, which no longer work as intended.

As soon as you put on invisa-prim shoes you'll see the problem. If they are not Mod-OK, you and toss them.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.