Advertising an Adult Venue on Moderate land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles
45 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know you're just the messenger here, Quartz, so this is not directed at you . . .

. . . but this is disappointing. As Rowan, Sam, and others have suggested above, this smells of a bait-and-switch. People have the right to know that they are going to encounter Adult content before they TP in.

Indeed, that's the whole point of a rating system. If we're going to reduce this to "leave if you don't like it," we might as well not have one at all.

You're right that I'm only the messenger.

I simply drew this thread to the attention of Governance and have shared their response.   

If, however, anyone has concerns about the actual content of any ad boards they encounter in-world, rather than the hypothetical ad boards under discussion here, they should report them and let Governance take it from there.  

I would, though, point out that, by default, residents' maturity settings are set to General and Moderate (I created a new account to double-check this)

551c9a0ed110a5b96525930a8a83267c.png

and, unless the resident has previously taken the positive decision that they want to encounter Adult content and changed their setting, the teleport will fail and they'll see this

58da671da3f59a245f90cfdf3eb0af81.png

So no one will actually encounter Adult content unless they've indicated that's what they want to happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Roleplay regions are often set as Adult, even when their primary roleplay is not sexual or overly violent. This allows for mature subjects in RP, occasional nudity, and makes it more difficult for griefers to get into the sim. These sims are free to advertise on a moderate region, thus other adult places that are not advertising adult activities are free to do so too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Roleplay regions are often set as Adult, even when their primary roleplay is not sexual or overly violent. This allows for mature subjects in RP, occasional nudity, and makes it more difficult for griefers to get into the sim. These sims are free to advertise on a moderate region, thus other adult places that are not advertising adult activities are free to do so too.

90% (this is a ballpark guess) of the Adult sims I go to -- and I go to many, frequently -- do not feature, or even permit, open sexuality. They would probably let you get away with nudity, most of them, and they might feature furnishings with some sexual animations, but I don't think you could just go at it in public in such places. There are, as you note, a lot of reasons why a parcel might be in an "Adult" region that have really very little to do with sex: they aren't really "sex" places.

The OP, however, pretty clearly states that there IS open sex -- or at least something that would not be permitted in "Moderate" -- going on in the place in question. 

On 6/9/2023 at 3:59 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its Zindra, so obviously there are adult things too

So, I think the case here is a bit different from what you describe. I think this makes it clear that she simply wants to avoid mentioning the adult "things" that one will find there, so that she can advertise wherever she wants.

On 6/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So if my ad says "Come Visit (Name of my club) for good fun and good times" its not adult and can be posted on a moderate sim.

And that is deceptive, to say the least.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The bolded part... since when? Region/estate ratings don't keep griefers out, never have and were never intended to do so. All anyone (who is of age) has to do is change that setting on their account and they have access to all adult rated regions/estates/content. It's been that way forever.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I would say it still applies to those who appear under 18 (teen, tween, child avatars) as I know of a couple recent bannings of those.

Neither of you got what I was saying. It has nothing to do with avatar age.

image.png.255d255db61573d39c6e24ac9355164a.png

image.png.e658efe89b903e58620484405ead73a5.png

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/content-guidelines

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I always thought of the rating system as a protection for those who are under 18 and at least 16 (or is it 15, I forget). 

Hm. I guess it is rather pointless after all.

i'm far over 18 but if i don't like adult, i don't expect adult is slapped in the face after clicking a non adult pretending tp sign or invitation.
Think it's kind of sad that that route is officially open.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The OP, however, pretty clearly states that there IS open sex -- or at least something that would not be permitted in "Moderate" -- going on in the place in question. 

Its Zindra, so obviously there are adult things too

I read that in a way as to mean that Zindra by virtue of its reputation will have adult content, regardless of whether her personal space had it or not. I think too many here are looking for something to take offence about. Fortunately Governance saw it for how it was intended. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I read that in a way as to mean that Zindra by virtue of its reputation will have adult content, regardless of whether her personal space had it or not. I think too many here are looking for something to take offence about. Fortunately Governance saw it for how it was intended. 

please realise people in the dark mode see this

9c47ea40ca80ffe1147d025ee33d257c.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Then maybe your dark mode is broken? I used the forum default for both font and colour so I have no ide of what i would need to set  it to for you to see it better.

thank you for the answer :) it must be the total community in dark mode that has it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not at all how I read it, for reasons that should be clear in the bits I quoted. However, we can't be sure, obviously, unless someone visits.

No one is "talking offence," Arielle. We are reacting to what certainly seems like an attempt to circumvent the intent of the rating system, which is to give people advance warning of what they are likely to find if they go a place.

That system is far from perfect, as I and others have already noted. I spent over two hours last night at an "Adult" club, listening to music and dancing. The "Adult" content there consisted of exactly one naked avatar.  Eek. As Persephone astutely pointed out, there are a great many reasons why someone might list a parcel as "Adult."

But listing a parcel as "Adult" when it doesn't really contain adult content is the opposite of what may be happening here: pretending that a parcel that does contain adult content doesn't. The one is using an abundance of caution; the other is, at least potentially, tricking people into coming to a place with the expectation that it will not feature overtly adult content when it in fact does.

The point of the rating system, and why it does need to be policed, is that it empowers us all to make informed decisions. When it is subverted with the intent of attracting more visits, we lose that power.

You're all about "freedom," right? Why do you not seem to get this?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 1

I'll just note, in passing, something that might be a bit relevant here?

The OP has in the past admitted to labeling a parcel as available for "everyone to enjoy," apparently largely so that she could watch them being chased off by a swarm of scripted bees. She thought that was an absolute hoot, as I recall.

The motivation here is likely pecuniary rather than in pursuit of her entertainment, but the MO seems similar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got the answer to my question, and it was the answer I wanted, and expected, my ads are permitted as long as they don't mention adult activities.

But honestly this all much ado about nothing. People act like I'm gonna trick them into visiting an adult region.

For those  in here complaining, let me explain something. You click my ad, it gives you a notecard, come visit my cool place.

At the bottom it lets you click for a LM.

The LM, as all LM's clearly states the maturity rating of the sim. If you take the LM, before you click on it, it tells you that it is an adult sim, so yes there are adult situations and even OMG furniture with adult poses.

Don't do adult? Delete the LM, delete the notecard, and move on.

Or are people here suggesting that some people are so fragile that to even see an adult LM, to have it in their inventory,  will scar them?

That is all, carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.