Exclusive and Non Exclusive??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I somehow got the idea that the Lab had no plans to show this in the viewer, like in avatar profile windows or anywhere, but I don't know that's official policy, or even correct. (I generally apply a version of Hanlon's Razer to missing features: never attribute to malice that which can be explained by sloth.)

Which, is possibly, silly, because identifying registered agents on their profiles -- or even through some simply (and hopefully free) scripted HUD -- would presumably lessen the amount of time that LL spends investigating ARs against supposedly unregistered bots.

Assuming, of course, that LL expends any time at all investigating ARs against unregistered bots.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you think malice, or sloth?

Sloth and general indifference.

I can only think of one Linden I've ever personally interacted with whom I thought was kind of unpleasant, and he was just more generally grumpy than "malicious." And he didn't like me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Which, is possibly, silly, because identifying registered agents on their profiles -- or even through some simply (and hopefully free) scripted HUD -- would presumably lessen the amount of time that LL spends investigating ARs against supposedly unregistered bots.

Oh, I expect Lindens have long been able to tell all the registered bots on a region any time they want. But when this feature starts actually working, it'll be trivial for anybody to get a script to do it for themselves, too (only for avatars in the same region).

I'm not sure how useful any of this will be in practice, but it'll be possible. A script can also determine who on the region is Premium and who's not, in addition to the status of Payment Info Used / On-File, and various other details of limited interest or utility.

It's all possible, we just need a flock of bots to collect all the data. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's all possible, we just need a flock of bots to collect all the data.

Been there, done that. It was a ****show. But fun, in it's way!

I'm sure the Lindens have quick and (maybe?) easy access to bot status, but so long as we don't, residents, following LL's own admonition in their new scripted agent policy, will be firing off ARs about legit registered bots at the drop of a hat.

Asking us to proactively report unregistered bots when we have no way to know which ones are registered is a bit like a make-work project for residents and governance team members alike. Shoot 'em all, and let Governance Linden sort it out?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Been there, done that. It was a ****show. But fun, in it's way!

I'm sure the Lindens have quick and (maybe?) easy access to bot status, but so long as we don't, residents, following LL's own admonition in their new scripted agent policy, will be firing off ARs about legit registered bots at the drop of a hat.

Asking us to proactively report unregistered bots when we have no way to know which ones are registered is a bit like a make-work project for residents and governance team members alike. Shoot 'em all, and let Governance Linden sort it out?

Well, when there are 30 avatars hidden up high in a box and not a soul in the club that's ranked at the top of search, it's a safe bet they're used for traffic.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, when there are 30 avatars hidden up high in a box and not a soul in the club that's ranked at the top of search, it's a safe bet they're used for traffic.

Banning bots used that way would have a negative impact on Second Life concurrency numbers!

CB9B5E6D-328D-4E3F-871F-AA58F8ACC553.jpeg

FFBF7078-203C-4B9A-8CF7-4312987E7C74.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I agree!

Does it follow that they are unregistered? I mean, they are probably are, but it's not a sure bet.

In theory, LL would act in either case -- they are unregistered, or they are being used to game traffic. Maybe?

49 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I agree!

Does it follow that they are unregistered? I mean, they are probably are, but it's not a sure bet.

In theory, LL would act in either case -- they are unregistered, or they are being used to game traffic. Maybe?

The way I understood it when they created the Scripted Agent status was that they would NOT count in the traffic calculation.  I had thought this was the main reason for requiring that status for the useful bots.  

So in essence, they are unregistered and perhaps not even technically bots.  I could create 15 accounts, log them all in and park them all day in a skybox.  They count as traffic and are not registered therefore creating traffic.  That is what people are doing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The way I understood it when they created the Scripted Agent status was that they would NOT count in the traffic calculation.  I had thought this was the main reason for requiring that status for the useful bots.  

So in essence, they are unregistered and perhaps not even technically bots.  I could create 15 accounts, log them all in and park them all day in a skybox.  They count as traffic and are not registered therefore creating traffic.  That is what people are doing.

You make a good point. I believe that IS how it is supposed to work -- and presumably does. So a congregation registered scripted agents would achieve nothing in terms of traffic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You make a good point. I believe that IS how it is supposed to work -- and presumably does. So a congregation registered scripted agents would achieve nothing in terms of traffic.

That's why LL's wording in their scripted agent policy is rather confusing.  Perhaps whomever wrote it isn't aware of how traffic and registered bots work?

Using Scripted Agents to "game" or boost traffic is prohibited.

You may not attempt to gain an unfair advantage in search results through the use of Scripted Agents to inflate the traffic for a parcel. This policy applies to both mainland and private estates, as Second Life search includes both. Please refer to the Second Life Terms and Conditions, section 5.i.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Perhaps whomever wrote it isn't aware of how traffic and registered bots work?

Scripted Agents can NOT boost traffic, unless they are unregistered.  But an unregistered scripted agent is just another avatar account if not labeled as a scripted agent.  Is governance spending all their time TPing to suspected non registered avatars, and trying to decide what their purpose is?  

Why does LL not show a scripted agent status in the public profile?  That would reduce the workload for Governance, and spoil the fun for the residents who AR everything and expect Governance to sort them all out.  A registered scripted agent is perfectly legal, and so are 20 of them, since they can not affect traffic.  But a legal scripted agent does show on the big map as a green dot.  Many decide on which club/business/event to attend by simply looking at the number of green dots.  LL could change the dot color for a registered scripted agent, to prevent that kind of dots deception.  Those managers who still want to cheat would just un-register their agents of course, so the volunteer police force in SL would still have plenty to do.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:37 PM, Rowan Amore said:

I saw someone charging 1000L join fee to work there.

Paying to get a virtual job. What fresh late stage capitalist hellscape have we created...

As for the whole "Exclusive" BS .. get 2 accounts, be exclusive at two places on principal. At the same time.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Banning bots used that way would have a negative impact on Second Life concurrency numbers!

Speaking of bots and gaming traffic, these bots could be put to work doing the jobs the OP is seeking.  Once these kinds of bots or scripted agents begin to talk and interact, more jobs in SL could be lost.

However, I know some bots already do do these jobs in SL.  I saw a stripper bot years ago but didn't care for the character (avatar), she was not sexy.  It was just for a general (everyone's invited) type of hanging out with a DJ and not an Adult event.  I guess the DJ thought his stripper bot was cool.  It wasn't.  It didn't go with the general dance and the bot was poorly done.  

But still, we are losing jobs to bots, so why keep gaming traffic people instead of putting your bots to work?  Sloth?  

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:45 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I agree!

They would have to be unregistered, otherwise the club would not be at/near the top of Search.  If the bots were legitimately registered then the traffic figures in the club would be much lower. The traffic figures themselves will prove that the bots are unregistered.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.