The open floorplans broke me...

Baiphen Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not even gonna lie about it either. I was super excited to get the new Vic floorplans and I am honestly at a loss. It isn't that I can't decorate them, I just can't decorate them. I almost broke the house controller changing the houses over and over. I can't get past the kitchen ( It was a really, really great kitchen too). I had to go back to my beloved Verne, small rooms and all. So please, please, please when you guys get yours decorated, will you post them here so I can see what you did? Please? I'll be eternally grateful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

Not even gonna lie about it either. I was super excited to get the new Vic floorplans and I am honestly at a loss. It isn't that I can't decorate them, I just can't decorate them. I almost broke the house controller changing the houses over and over. I can't get past the kitchen ( It was a really, really great kitchen too). I had to go back to my beloved Verne, small rooms and all. So please, please, please when you guys get yours decorated, will you post them here so I can see what you did? Please? I'll be eternally grateful. 

I am almost done with an open floor plan Doyle.  I did add one wall back in, but I love the open kitchen livingroom.  Adding one wall gave me a bedroom and bathroom instead of just 1 tiny room.  I'll post pics soon, but probably in the LH pics thread.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Ugh. Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I am almost done with an open floor plan Doyle.  I did add one wall back in, but I love the open kitchen livingroom.  Adding one wall gave me a bedroom and bathroom instead of just 1 tiny room.  I'll post pics soon, but probably in the LH pics thread.

Yay!!! That would be awesome. I can't understand where my blockage is. The other open floor plans in the Chalets, Fantasy, etc weren't an issue at all, just these Vics. Thank you!

Sometimes removing limitations (walls in this case) gives you too many options.  Don't think of it as "open floorplan."  Think of it as "moveable walls."  Rez a wall or three and move them around.  Consider half or upper and lower walls, so you have an anchor for kitchen cabinetry without completely losing the open floorplan feel.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Sometimes removing limitations (walls in this case) gives you too many options.  Don't think of it as "open floorplan."  Think of it as "moveable walls."  Rez a wall or three and move them around.  Consider half or upper and lower walls, so you have an anchor for kitchen cabinetry without completely losing the open floorplan feel.  

Now that I know that making a wall isn't as awful as I thought it would be I can totally do that. I was thinking about it last night and realized that the reason I could work with the other open floorplans is because I chose them first, so decorating them was never a problem. And with these, instead of doing the smart thing and walking away for a little bit and playing with one of my other houses, I gave up.

But you guys have given me some ideas, for which I'm thankful. Walls don't look nearly as intimidating now.

And I got to look at your pics. That log cabin is freaking amazing! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ow, my brain hurt! So, it's not that you can't decorate them, you just can't decorate them.
Help! * head essplodes *

LOLOLOLOL....What? It made perfect sense to me. 

I was in a mood. It was dark and scary and my ability to translate my thoughts had failed me. *sniffs* 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

If you want something that look just like the original moldings, look to MYSA, previous [E]. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/52960

The moldings are the best copy I have seen, and they come with a HUD so you can change the three woods.

You can edit parts, so a wall used for one house model can be used for another, by selecting parts and stretch them. The ends are open, so if you want the wall free standing, you need to rez a prim there. You can also unlink the moldings and use them in other places. Be aware that the crown moldings are thick, the end prim will be thick too. You can select the crown prims and press them a bit flatter.

I have bought the Shelley downstairs wall, it is the one without door. You need to stretch both walls, and also the trim, to make it fit on both sides. The one with doors is for the Hardy, but it will need prims to make a wall. The one with a single door is for Verne (downstairs). This wall with door can't be stretched much, the door will be too wide. But it is other walls with doors that are longer.

It is not super low li, since it is in parts. Look at the land impact for all the add-ons.

I have used the wood textures from the Victorian Content pack for the ends.

vic walls_001.png

vic walls_003.png

Edited by Marianne Little
changed an image and added a few words.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

OMG! I totally forgot that you could buy inserts and doors in the Marketplace. I normally go there for decks. I think I have one that I used to make a little laundry room for my Shelley. Thank you Marianne! Especially for the pics, I grasp things so much better with a visual. And I was wondering about the crown molding. How I was going to get it, I mean. Do you put out videos for stuff like this? If you don't, you totally should. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If you want something that look just like the original moldings, look to MYSA, previous [E]. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/52960

The moldings are the best copy I have seen, and they come with a HUD so you can change the three woods.

You can edit parts, so a wall used for one house model can be used for another, by selecting parts and stretch them. The ends are open, so if you want the wall free standing, you need to rez a prim there. You can also unlink the moldings and use them in other places. Be aware that the crown moldings are thick, the end prim will be thick too. You can select the crown prims and press them a bit flatter.

I have bought the Shelley downstairs wall, it is the one without door. You need to stretch both walls, and also the trim, to make it fit on both sides. The one with doors is for the Hardy, but it will need prims to make a wall. The one with a single door is for Verne (downstairs). This wall with door can't be stretched much, the door will be too wide. But it is other walls with doors that are longer.

It is not super low li, since it is in parts. Look at the land impact for all the add-ons.

I have used the wood textures from the Victorian Content pack for the ends.

vic walls_001.png

vic walls_003.png

There is also an upstairs wall with a door for the Shelly on MP that turns the large upstairs landing alcove into a small room. I used it for a bathroom276227207_PersephoneNudewithaChair1-6-20_034.thumb.jpg.2ba021dcacfbe626c39ed743366738c9.jpg

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add picture
  • Like 8

If you're just making walls, I've used @Blush Bravin 's free LH Victorian moldings happily.   The pack includes both crown and baseboard moldings, in 3 finishes. Excellent LODs.  Available inworld, at her store.  I have a couple of her addons, so well crafted. 

I went to Mysa to compare and found the addon vendors (on the 2nd floor), but regrettably no demo.  @Marianne Little  , do you know the LODs on Mysa's? The rest of Mysa's items seem to have a variety of LODs. 

Btw, I noticed that Mysa's furniture was very tasteful, and on the one couch I tried, the anims were very well chosen and perfectly adjusted. I may pick up their Shelley addon just to get a door that matches the Vics exactly.  Altho, frankly I was never bothered by the interior Vic wall I made from Blush's moldings, a generic mesh wall, and a not-exactly-matching door (with, however, a correct handle). 

I have to admit that I expected LL to put an interior door with molding in the creation pack, as they did for the stilts, when they released the open floorplan Vics.  Any chance of adding one, @Abnor Mole?

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

I am quite sure the partition fireplace and also the partition wall from here can be used in a Victorian. The moldings will not be 100% the same, but for a free standing wall,  it does not matter?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NewBrooke-Partition-Wall-1li/23370247

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NewBrooke-Partition-Fireplace-3li/23370319

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

If you're just making walls, I've used @Blush Bravin 's free LH Victorian moldings happily.   The pack includes both crown and baseboard moldings, in 3 finishes. Excellent LODs.  I have a couple of her addons, so well crafted. 

I went to Mysa to compare and found the vendors (on the 2nd floor), but regrettably no demo.  @Marianne Little  , do you know the LODs on Mysa's? The rest of Mysa's items seem to have a variety of LODs. 

Btw, I noticed that Mysa's furniture was very tasteful, and on the one couch I tried, the anims were very well chosen and perfectly adjusted. I may pick up their Shelley addon just to get a door that matches the Vics exactly.  Altho, frankly I was never bothered by the interior Vic wall I made from Blush's moldings, a generic mesh wall, and a not-exactly-matching door (with, however, a correct handle). 

I'm using LOD 2.250 in the pictures, so I think it is good. I am trying to stop using LOD 4 so much. The doors are very well made.

Oh, free moldings? That is great. I think I have them somewhere in my inventory, now that you mention it. My inventory is a shameful mess.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.