Are You a Normie or a Non-Normie in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That's not why I started this discussion.

Actually, the normal or 'the norm' and going off the beaten path are something artists have to deal with all the time.  I think it has to do with thinking outside the box.

girl-sure-jan.gif

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

girl-sure-jan.gif

Well, whatever you think...it's not my problem.  And, I don't believe we live in a "Sure, Jan" world.  That is ridiculous.

The latest meme to end all memes comes from a 20-year-old comedy that recently became available on Netflix, A Very Brady Sequel, and we are now living in the age of "Sure, Jan." The meme refers to Marcia's harsh shade thrown at Jan when she tries to tell Marcia about her new groovy (and totally made-up) boyfriend ...Jan 20, 2015

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

However, the word has been used on the forum here without any complaints.  So, it was never a big deal before until now all of a sudden.  Why didn't anyone complain before when the word was used on the forum if people are upset?

My response to.the person who used the word in another thread was something like, "How very 4chan of you".

I believe it was a thread they started about why some places/people don't like anime avatars and loopholes in the ToS.  But, it got pretty heated and was cleared out of some posts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My response to.the person who used the word in another thread was something like, "How very 4chan of you".

I believe it was a thread they started about why some places/people don't like anime avatars and loopholes in the ToS.  But, it got pretty heated and was cleared out of some posts.

I've seen it used more than once though.  And, I don't visit 4chan.  Check my cookies on that.

That thread was a bit heated but then you are saying this word has something to do with 4chan.

Well, people are using it on Twitter to describe those who do not like crypto -those are Normies now.  

I read here, FB, Twitter, and that is it.  Twitter is sensationalized enough.  Facebook I use to shop and check in with family/friends sparingly.

Edited by EliseAnne85

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I would go so far as to say, mayyybe the thread with the larger discussion we had about the word "normie" was deleted completely? I dunno, could be referring to the same thread as you.

• Like 1

Just now, EliseAnne85 said:

I've seen it used more than once though.  And, I don't visit 4chan.  Check my cookies on that.

That thread was a bit heated but then you are saying this word has something to do with 4chan.

Well, people are using it on Twitter to describe those who do not like crypto -those are Normies now.  

I read here FB, Twitter, and that is it.  Twitter is sensationalized enough.  

No, it wasn't used as something to do with 4chan.  The OP remarked about Normies in SL not liking anime avatars to which I replied, How very 4chan of you.

As @Love Zhaoyingsaid, it's not a word you should run around using at all.  There are other words to.use that don't carry a negative connotation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I read here FB, Twitter, and that is it.  Twitter is sensationalized enough.  

Do you read the dictionary, Elise?

There's no such thing as a private language: neither you nor I get to decide what a word means, or what its connotations are. Those are determined by the community of speakers. Ignore them at your peril when using words.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Do you read the dictionary, Elise?

There's no such thing as a private language: neither you nor I get to decide what a word means, or what its connotations are. Those are determined by the community of speakers. Ignore them at your peril when using words.

Yes, I read the dictionary.  I posted part of the dictionary quote in my OP.  

Here is another one:

What makes someone a normie?

The term normie has emerged as both a noun and an adjective referring to one whose tastes, lifestyle, habits, and attitude are mainstream and far from the cutting edge, or a person who is otherwise not notable or remarkable.

So....

I feel ok going with the Urban Dictionary ( https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Normie) or my favorite, the Addams Family fandom wiki (https://addamsfamily.fandom.com/wiki/Normies) .

Personally, I think of anyone who spends more than a few minutes in Second Life as a "weirdo" and love to say "we are all weirdos on this bus".

And Dinkies are best described as "too cute" or "adorable".

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

Just now, EliseAnne85 said:

Here is another one:

The term normie has emerged as both a noun and an adjective referring to one whose tastes, lifestyle, habits, and attitude are mainstream and far from the cutting edge, or a person who is otherwise not notable or remarkable.

And the next part is the part that's offensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Sheeple, normie, NPC, neurotypical, basic, square.. whatever it is everyone wants to believe they are different and better than others because they are unique to the world.

sheeple.png

When I look around, I don't really see people in these terms. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Here is another one:

Elise, this is so easy.

You admit that you weren't aware of the fuller connotations of the word when you used it, and that you wouldn't have chosen it had you known these. No one is going to hate you or think you're "stupid" if you admit a mistake. We all make them, no?

Then you say, "this is what I meant . . ." and the conversation moves on constructively.

Which is surely the point of this OP?

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's like saying, you're boring, forgettable, unimportant, banal, uninteresting, etc.  Would you call anyone that even if they were?   Hopefully, not where they can hear you.  

I think people thinking that way of others has always been around, especially in artist's colonies and art places that are considered Bohemian.  

The Bohemian's may not have said it the aristocrats or the bourgeoisie of their day to their face, but I'm sure that's what they thought of them.  

Saying it here today, I think there could be exceptions but to use a different word, especially if one wanted to meet like-minded people who like to explore "the cutting edge".   I don't see why they couldn't put that in their profile... I'd like to meet people who like to explore and/or live on the cutting edge.  

Sometimes I just can't with topics-but I will anyway as it's a gripe of mine. 

The younger generations-that is to include my own-didn't come up with the term or most others we often get associated with by people with little power running through the vast network of neurons and other bits and pieces in their cerebrum. 

I wish people would stop with the constant-must be the younger generation-crap all the time and constantly blaming us or worse associating us with everything negative in the world. All we're trying to do is follow in previous generations' misguided often crooked and clearly lost footprints. Remember-you passed all of this down to us-we're just trying to do the best we can with it. We're not all snot nosed heathens that are constantly up to no good. I myself spend at least five minutes everyday being up to lots of good. 

I see more people of older age-as in at least a generation above my own bracket-who use terms such as that and nearly every other negative term used to describe other people. They're also more likely to pull the I didn't know card out of their hat.

Even if people in my generation also use the term-as I said we certainly didn't create it. It came about long before we did. Your generations-and the ones that came before them are the ones who put negative connotations and spins on various different words. In fact some of those words were once quite positive-but prior generations chose to use them however they wish and here we stand.

I still stand by what I said-there is no normal nor is their a definitive absolute universal definition for normal because such constructs are and will always be in a constant state of flux. So it's probably best not to go around throwing the term out like a kitten with a new ball of yarn hoping not to get tangled when you inevitably unravel it. Also-stop blaming my generation for everything and get off my freshly manicured lawn. We're taking that from you too! HMPH

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

If it makes everyone feel better, I am normal. This makes all of you different, edgy, super special, and definitely not normal. 

I will take the label "normal" on myself as the standard to which everything else is compared.

If you're not me, you're safe from being normal. 

Normal by definition is things that have been like it for a certain time...I'm me 30+ years now so I consider this quite some time, so I guess this means I'm normal XD 

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

If it makes everyone feel better, I am normal. This makes all of you different, edgy, super special, and definitely not normal. 

I will take the label "normal" on myself as the standard to which everything else is compared.

To make up for it, I named my girl Husky after you, and she ain't normal.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Says the woman with the Edgar Allan Poe quote in her sig! 😏

Just teasinnnng (I love him btw).

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.