19 years

Roxie Marten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My rez day slipped by and reminded me  I have been in Second Life for 19 years.  I never thought I would last this long or Second Life would be still be around.

I guess this makes me officially a dinosaur.  Things have changed from avatars to buildings.   When I first started I made extra money teaching building classes for the LIndens, I am not even sure if people know how to rez a cube anymore, don't get me wrong mesh is amazing.     It blows my mind how the culture changed too, hanging with Philip Linden in the welcome area and helping the new people with giving them things to get started.  Long before Market Place and buying money. I have to  admit I still miss my Linden welfare check also known as the stipend. Second Life was a land of wonderment, always some new to see or do and then sharing it at the Linden sponsored show and tell events.   

I have to admit that sometimes Second Life can be a little too fluid.  You hang out with someone for a couple of years and poof they are gone, often no idea what happened to them.  I have met a lot of cool people who are now just a memory, I hope they are doing well.  Second Life helped me in so many ways, it can much more than want people often see at the surface.

Thanks for listening 

Look for the short green witch and say hi

Roxie Marten (1st Roxie In SL and I love my legacy name, I wonder how many Martens still play) 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Well Roxie, your achievement is worthy of an award, but I doubt LL will value such staying power! In many ways I envy the fact that you were here at the start, and have witnessed such changes over that time frame. I'm not even at five years yet, and didn't expect to stay, and yet the flawed beauty of SL, along with a small number of selfless mentors made sure I could not escape.

Congratulations 🎊 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Well Roxie, your achievement is worthy of an award, but I doubt LL will value such staying power! In many ways I envy the fact that you were here at the start, and have witnessed such changes over that time frame. I'm not even at five years yet, and didn't expect to stay, and yet the flawed beauty of SL, along with a small number of selfless mentors made sure I could not escape.

Congratulations 🎊 

Thanks, it was quite the virtual wild west, it is the people.  I  have fond memories of those people who helped me along. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Congratulations on your 19th.  Will you have cake? :D  It's a lost world of those early days;  I miss that energy and enthusiasm.  It's possible we met in the WA but my logs are on a wrecked hard drive. :/ 

We did meet, I remember your name, I swear the WA was the most fun.  I heard a rumor that someone duplicated the old Welcome Center, I should hunt it down 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roxie Marten said:

Long before Market Place

I was here long before the Market Place, too.  We had to search and find everything inworld we wanted to buy.  Getting a name like Roxie is pretty much impossible these days.  People have to make up odd names, like Reldifolgen or some such crazy name.  

Happy Belated Rez Day!  

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:07 AM, Roxie Marten said:

My rez day slipped by and reminded me  I have been in Second Life for 19 years.  I never thought I would last this long or Second Life would be still be around.

I guess this makes me officially a dinosaur.  Things have changed from avatars to buildings.   When I first started I made extra money teaching building classes for the LIndens, I am not even sure if people know how to rez a cube anymore, don't get me wrong mesh is amazing.     It blows my mind how the culture changed too, hanging with Philip Linden in the welcome area and helping the new people with giving them things to get started.  Long before Market Place and buying money. I have to  admit

I still miss my Linden welfare check also known as the stipend.

Second Life was a land of wonderment, always some new to see or do and then sharing it at the Linden sponsored show and tell events.   

I have to admit that sometimes Second Life can be a little too fluid.  You hang out with someone for a couple of years and poof they are gone, often no idea what happened to them.  I have met a lot of cool people who are now just a memory, I hope they are doing well.  Second Life helped me in so many ways, it can much more than want people often see at the surface.

Thanks for listening 

Roxie Marten (1st Roxie In SL and I love my legacy name, I wonder how many Martens still play) 

I still miss my Linden welfare check also known as the stipend.

This made my LOL! I miss being a mentor. I used to instruct at New Citizens,Inc.  I'm only here 15 yrs. Anyhow I hope you had a great Rez Day ! 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 8:07 AM, Roxie Marten said:

Thanks for listening 

I am not as old as you (17 years) but I feel the same. Never get used to "friends" that poof after years of friendship

Are you still often online ?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ian Mercury said:

I am not as old as you (17 years) but I feel the same. Never get used to "friends" that poof after years of friendship

Are you still often online ?

Not as much as I used to be.  I am in to more things in the real world.  I learned to work in wood and I find that more fun than rezing cubes and I have also been taking sewing lessons.  I hope to be taking sailing lessons, there is a tall sailing ship near me that is looking for volunteers this summer.  The one thing I still support is Virtual Ability, it's a great place to go if your disabled.  Great place to hang with people who know what it's like to be me.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.