Grid Status - Scripts Not Running, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Have you tried to relog on a different region?

Yeah... tbh it's on my alt account I made for a friend who wants to start. I was trying to set up his avatar for him and that account just has no avatar to render maybe? Im not sure how to reset this. Ive tried everything in the circle menu

5 minutes ago, Chrissy Gazov said:

Yeah... tbh it's on my alt account I made for a friend who wants to start. I was trying to set up his avatar for him and that account just has no avatar to render maybe? Im not sure how to reset this. Ive tried everything in the circle menu

fs_bake_fail [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

8 minutes ago, Chrissy Gazov said:

that account just has no avatar to render maybe?

No, that's not an option.  There's no way you can log on without having chosen an avatar.  Aside from the possibility that you were logging in on a RC region that was having trouble today -- which is why I suggested logging in somewhere else -- the problem is more likely to be one of the normal ones with bake fail.  See https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_bake_fail.   What Silent said ^^  :)

Edited by Rolig Loon
Additional information

On 2/1/2023 at 1:54 PM, Horus Salubrius said:

Dumb question time:  

What is an "RC region" ?  Should I know this ?  

As said above, Release Candidate. These are the last testing phase of the QA process for regions. The Preview or aka Beta grid is where the alpha and beta testing is done. On occasion residents are called to help with the testing over there. I think the Server UG still meets there on Thursdays.

There were 4 RC test regions in the main grid. I suspect there still are. About 20% of the grid is devoted to RC testing. It is possible to ask the Lindens to include or exclude a region you own. I used to download lists of regions in the RC groups. I have forgotten how. But there are some RC regions for people to test there stuff on. Blue Steel is one. As I recall, access is limited. One must belong to the Server group to get into those regions. At least at one time one did. That may have changed.

23 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Gee, I thought rollbacks would be quick and easy!

The roll back is easy enough. BUT... if they find a problem during the RC phase that did not exhibit on the beta grid... they will be testing and troubleshooting while the problem is exhibiting on the RC. They are unlikely to start a roll back until they feel they have a good handle on what the problem is. It can take a few hours of troubleshooting. The Lab has some of the most experienced people in the gaming field for dealing with real time issues and keeping a system up. So as much as we want to bit_ch... it really isn't justified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Caleb Kit,

I completely understand your frustration. But truth to tell, LL is indeed "doing a lot better". For example, have you heard the term "Ruthed"? It does not happen any more, but back in the day, it was quite common for an avatar to unexpectedly put on the appearance of the basic female avatar, known as "Ruth". It was particularly funny when it was only a partial transformation, and occurred to a male avatar. Or have you heard the term "Boxhead"? At one time, the default attachment point was the skull, not the right hand, as is currently the case. Residents who tried to wear a new outfit without unpacking it first wound up with a box on their head.

Not to mention the several months (well, it felt like months) when you'd teleport somewhere and wind up with various attachments, usually your hair or shoes, stuck to your butt.

Or the ghost prims. These were really sneaky and hard to document. You'd be walking along and just bump into something. It wasn't just transparent, it completely wasn't detectable by any means except physically colliding with it. Or ghosted avatars, which was another thing entirely...an avatar that was in world, but unresponsive. The owner had logged off, but the system had not completely done its job and their avatar was still there. This was not only annoying to the people who tried to talk to the ghosted person, it also prevented them from logging back in.

A day or two of Weird Stuff happening on a fairly limited number of regions is small potatoes.

...hobbles off with her cane, muttering "kids these days don't know how well off they are..."

• Like 6

On 2/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

So as much as we want to bit_ch... it really isn't justified.

Use-case for bit_ching (at least in other scenarios, if not this specific scenario, see details):

- Assume they know a rollback WILL need to happen, and unlike this case, no special action is needed to "fix the inventory" that was changed / messed up as part of the RC changes (as described in the "what happened post").

- Assume they can rollback all the regions except a minimal number needed to "experiment" / "post-mortem" the issue.

- Rollback all the RC regions except those needed for the "experiment" / "post-mortem"

- Most users on RC channels are made happier, quicker.

I realize however, that based on the "what happened post", this time it wasn't an option because they had to make a change for the rollback to be successful (without borking all the scripts, etc.)

Plus, c'mon: don't take away my God-given right to bit_ch!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

On 2/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

As said above, Release Candidate. These are the last testing phase of the QA process for regions. The Preview or aka Beta grid is where the alpha and beta testing is done. On occasion residents are called to help with the testing over there. I think the Server UG still meets there on Thursdays.

There were 4 RC test regions in the main grid. I suspect there still are. About 20% of the grid is devoted to RC testing. It is possible to ask the Lindens to include or exclude a region you own. I used to download lists of regions in the RC groups. I have forgotten how. But there are some RC regions for people to test there stuff on. Blue Steel is one. As I recall, access is limited. One must belong to the Server group to get into those regions. At least at one time one did. That may have changed.

FWIW and according to the wiki, there were (are?) 3 RC public region channels on the main grid:  BlueSteel, LeTigre, and Magnum. If there was a 4th it's not documented as far as I can tell, and it might be that is was/is one reserved the beta grid.

The sim I bought land in was (is?) on RC BlueSteel.  It used to announce it on teleports, but that's been suppressed for a while now.   i know I'm still on a RC region, i just don't know if there is a functional difference between the three RC Channels anymore, but I suspect there is.  When LInksetData was first rolling out to the main grid, release notes indicated it was coming to the BlueSteel channel first, which meant I got to play with it early in my living room instead of having to find and go visit an open* sandbox.

(*yes, the 12 RC sandboxes seem to be closed to group only and the group "Second Life Beta" is closed to new members so there is that, but living on an RC region has it's perks :P )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Anna Salyx said:

FWIW and according to the wiki, there were (are?) 3 RC public region channels on the main grid:  BlueSteel, LeTigre, and Magnum. If there was a 4th it's not documented as far as I can tell, and it might be that is was/is one reserved the beta grid.

The sim I bought land in was (is?) on RC BlueSteel.  It used to announce it on teleports, but that's been suppressed for a while now.   i know I'm still on a RC region, i just don't know if there is a functional difference between the three RC Channels anymore, but I suspect there is.  When LInksetData was first rolling out to the main grid, release notes indicated it was coming to the BlueSteel channel first, which meant I got to play with it early in my living room instead of having to find and go visit an open* sandbox.

(*yes, the 12 RC sandboxes seem to be closed to group only and the group "Second Life Beta" is closed to new members so there is that, but living on an RC region has it's perks :P )

Note that with the recent issue, I don't recall LL identifying a specific RC channel affected, I assume "all" were affected..

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Note that with the recent issue, I don't recall LL identifying a specific RC channel affected, I assume "all" were affected..

Probably correct.  The only reason, really, that I mentioned separate channels was that on the previous deploy (16, Jan, week of) it was specifically stated  that one RC channel was getting on thing, and another RC channel was getting a different thing (and presumably the third RC channel if it still exists either getting nothing or a random chance for either).  But, yes, mostly when I look at the deploy plans lately the it's just a single update that is ostensibly going to all the RC channels simultaneously 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anna Salyx said:

Probably correct.  The only reason, really, that I mentioned separate channels was that on the previous deploy (16, Jan, week of) it was specifically stated  that one RC channel was getting on thing, and another RC channel was getting a different thing (and presumably the third RC channel if it still exists either getting nothing or a random chance for either).  But, yes, mostly when I look at the deploy plans lately the it's just a single update that is ostensibly going to all the RC channels simultaneously 

I was surprised, on the contrary, that the separate channels came up so late in the discussion. Because when different "new features" were being tested, in the past people cared which channel to find!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.