♥ Looking for People to Interview !

alienaisha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, alienaisha said:

Essentially I am focusing on SL to interview as, whenever I look up "secondlife video" on YouTube, it's mostly trolling videos. A large consensus I've seen online is that "People in that game are weirdos!". I know that every website, every community, has their goods and bads, their ups and downs. But I do feel SL has a bad rep from the outside. My goal from the interview is to say "Hey, there are positives here too - there are good, interesting people here. These are real people with feelings." To sum it up quickly.  

This is somewhat true, but there are some good Second Life vloggers out there, as well. https://www.youtube.com/@TheAriellXO and https://www.youtube.com/@NariaPanthar , for example, have some nice Second Life vlogs and tutorials. As does the official Second Life YouTube account. There are also tons of shopping and event haul videos, event vlogs in general, machinima (there's a link to our Machinima forum), a zillion actual blogs that cover fashion and all kinds of other stuff.

I don't think YouTube vids are all negative, and a lot of those stereotypes you're talking about are years and years old - like from the 2010 and earlier era back when griefers ran rampant. I don't think a brand new series in 2023 is going to change any of those old perceptions. Not to discourage you, of course. I just wouldn't worry about what people think is all. I've been here a loooooooong time and seen/heard it all. The "real people with feelings" sentiment isn't going to sway anyone who is still referencing old mess and drama from 2007. Let them stay mad. 😄

13 minutes ago, alienaisha said:

SL is also full of people who create, in ways that are different from just interviewing a Minecraft streamer, for example. At least with the people I've met in SL, many are creators (3D modellers, textures, scripters, sim owners, etc.) there's just a lot 'to' SL that makes it unique.

Also very true. If you're interested in the creation side, you may want to visit sims like Builder's Brewery, for example, where builders and scripters tend to hang out and teach/learn. The in-world group might be worth a join as well. You can snag an invite to the group from the info kiosk at the sim. You could also approach some creators and store owners to ask if they'd be willing to answer a few questions. No guarantee they'll have the availability or willingness (I know a few with a gabillion projects and updates and events currently happening simultaneously so I doubt they'd have the time), but it's worth a shot. More likely, you might be able to find a few who will answer a couple questions in a notecard or something. Doubt many will have the time for a full-on voice interview. Events are constant in SL and creators are busy little bees almost 24/7 with all the different bodies and heads they've got to create for. And furniture and home and decor and landscaping designers get no rest either, since we're always redecorating and renovating our homes and spaces almost daily, it seems (what, you don't?!). 😂 ❤️

One quick suggestion - maybe you could start up your own Second Life TALK SHOW!!! Do weekly or monthly episodes, posted to YouTube, where you interview one person and chat for a bit. Create an in-world set, get the fun lighting and seating set up, have a topic per episode - make it fun. If it's entertaining enough, you might gain a decent following. Fair warning - this is a ton of work. I'm just throwing random ideas out there, don't mind me! I briefly considered doing a Maury-type show years ago and never did it. I can't handle that kind of drama in my first life, let alone my second. 🤣

• Like 6

I honestly do not understand why people became so paranoid and started attacking. You explained your idea pretty well. At least I got the idea. I do not see anything wrong with you wanting to have people only with voice or that they should be 18+.

I saw people saying that it could be a red flag to something "adult". If she would ask you to moan in the microphone, you can always turn it off and tp away. Same with questions you do not want to answer, she did explain that you can tell to skip them.

You could always just make a new alt and use it for the interview and nobody will ever know who you really are :D

• Like 6

11 hours ago, alienaisha said:

I think the audience in SL is much older than what I'm used to. 

I think that's probably true. It's been many years since LL made any statistics available that might tell us the average age of SL residents. When they were available, though, the average was somewhere in the high 30s. My own guess is that it's more like the mid-40s today. Many of us have kids and grandkids (some older than you!), and we've learned to be cautious. 

Aside from our ages, there's also a range of personality types, just as there is in RL. (After all, we live in both worlds.) You'll probably find plenty of people who are eager to chat and be part of a filmed interview. You'll also find many people who avoid public exposure and would rather be left alone. That will lead to a certain sample bias in your project. Some of us have been around for a while and have watched some of the same YouTube videos that you have. Some of the comments in this thread seem to be from people who may be wary of contributing to yet another slanted portrait of SL -- no matter how well-intentioned you may be.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe you should work on getting some good reputation with some inworld blog about ....dunno SL in general first. That way you could show the better parts of SL also.

You said that people portray us SLers as weirdos and yet you are offended if we aren't jumping on your weird very vague NSFW request.

If it wasn't vague why so many people in here assumed things? We don't know you, talking to you in a long recorded voice session? Something you could cut together as you please? Wouldn't it be really weird to be like "ok I'll do that!" This request seemed to most of us probably as legit as the dude with the dirty truck offering you to show you kittens or baby bunnies.

And your reaction to us questioning your motives just is another red flag tbh. And I bt not only to me.

As I said start building a reputation first before you jump into such things head first. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Maybe you should work on getting some good reputation with some inworld blog about ....dunno SL in general first. That way you could show the better parts of SL also.

You said that people portray us SLers as weirdos and yet you are offended if we aren't jumping on your weird very vague NSFW request.

If it wasn't vague why so many people in here assumed things? We don't know you, talking to you in a long recorded voice session? Something you could cut together as you please? Wouldn't it be really weird to be like "ok I'll do that!" This request seemed to most of us probably as legit as the dude with the dirty truck offering you to show you kittens or baby bunnies.

And your reaction to us questioning your motives just is another red flag tbh. And I bt not only to me.

As I said start building a reputation first before you jump into such things head first. 

This is good advice.  

Me just continuing to talk about this topic, not directed to Gwin's posts....

I'm kind of wondering why still the old outdated stereotype about weirdos?  I never met too many weirdos personally but griefers used to be a big problem.  I'd like to see this old, dated stereotype be challenged somehow.  For example, aside from content creators and people who have a business, there are real recording artists here in SL and real 2D wall type art artists in SL.  There are all kinds of creative, friendly, funny, shy, or just pain ordinary people here and they are not weirdos.  

But, to the OP, I like Gwin's advice about starting some vlogs or even blogs first so people can get to know you.

My definition of a weirdo might be someone you don't even know acting too aggressive and thinking I am their free entertainment when I am in an adult female avatar.  I don't know what defines this "weirdo" stereotype exactly but it has been around way too long.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Out of curiosity, where did I ever say this was a NSFW request? Asking people to be adults does not automatically mean I am looking for inappropriate content? 

Also, "Something you could cut together as you please" - I have to wonder if you read the part where I've explained that before uploading anything, the edited video will be shown to YOU (or, the interviewee) before being posted. I've explained that anything the guest on my video does not want there, will be edited out at their request. 

I am all for constructive criticism where it is valid, but it does not seem like you have really read or understood what I've said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This is somewhat true, but there are some good Second Life vloggers out there, as well. https://www.youtube.com/@TheAriellXO and https://www.youtube.com/@NariaPanthar , for example, have some nice Second Life vlogs and tutorials. As does the official Second Life YouTube account. There are also tons of shopping and event haul videos, event vlogs in general, machinima (there's a link to our Machinima forum), a zillion actual blogs that cover fashion and all kinds of other stuff.

I don't think YouTube vids are all negative, and a lot of those stereotypes you're talking about are years and years old - like from the 2010 and earlier era back when griefers ran rampant. I don't think a brand new series in 2023 is going to change any of those old perceptions. Not to discourage you, of course. I just wouldn't worry about what people think is all. I've been here a loooooooong time and seen/heard it all. The "real people with feelings" sentiment isn't going to sway anyone who is still referencing old mess and drama from 2007. Let them stay mad. 😄

Also very true. If you're interested in the creation side, you may want to visit sims like Builder's Brewery, for example, where builders and scripters tend to hang out and teach/learn. The in-world group might be worth a join as well. You can snag an invite to the group from the info kiosk at the sim. You could also approach some creators and store owners to ask if they'd be willing to answer a few questions. No guarantee they'll have the availability or willingness (I know a few with a gabillion projects and updates and events currently happening simultaneously so I doubt they'd have the time), but it's worth a shot. More likely, you might be able to find a few who will answer a couple questions in a notecard or something. Doubt many will have the time for a full-on voice interview. Events are constant in SL and creators are busy little bees almost 24/7 with all the different bodies and heads they've got to create for. And furniture and home and decor and landscaping designers get no rest either, since we're always redecorating and renovating our homes and spaces almost daily, it seems (what, you don't?!). 😂 ❤️

One quick suggestion - maybe you could start up your own Second Life TALK SHOW!!! Do weekly or monthly episodes, posted to YouTube, where you interview one person and chat for a bit. Create an in-world set, get the fun lighting and seating set up, have a topic per episode - make it fun. If it's entertaining enough, you might gain a decent following. Fair warning - this is a ton of work. I'm just throwing random ideas out there, don't mind me! I briefly considered doing a Maury-type show years ago and never did it. I can't handle that kind of drama in my first life, let alone my second. 🤣

Thank you so much for this. I honestly do like the idea of a talk show, too! 

I did have plans to create an in-world set, but I did not consider having a set topic per "episode". That's a really nice idea, I do like it! If I go this route would you be comfortable with me crediting you at the very least? 

The Maury idea sounds funny for sure lmao! Though I'd like for mine to not be focused around drama personally but I can definitely see how that idea would be totally entertaining hahaha. I do not want to make content for a following but rather just a passion project. I tend to build my following through streaming as well as art (I actually really dislike youtube) so this would just be a "for fun" type of thing.

Thank you again, I hope you have a great day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think that's probably true. It's been many years since LL made any statistics available that might tell us the average age of SL residents. When they were available, though, the average was somewhere in the high 30s. My own guess is that it's more like the mid-40s today. Many of us have kids and grandkids (some older than you!), and we've learned to be cautious. 

Aside from our ages, there's also a range of personality types, just as there is in RL. (After all, we live in both worlds.) You'll probably find plenty of people who are eager to chat and be part of a filmed interview. You'll also find many people who avoid public exposure and would rather be left alone. That will lead to a certain sample bias in your project. Those of us have been around for a while and have watched some of the same YouTube videos that you have. Some of the comments in this thread seem to be from people who may be wary of contributing to yet another slanted portrait of SL -- no matter how well-intentioned you may be.

Well spoken, thank you! I thought that might be it, so that does help me put myself into their shoes a bit more now.

I hope you and your family have a great 2023.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alienaisha said:

Out of curiosity, where did I ever say this was a NSFW request? Asking people to be adults does not automatically mean I am looking for inappropriate content? 

Also, "Something you could cut together as you please" - I have to wonder if you read the part where I've explained that before uploading anything, the edited video will be shown to YOU (or, the interviewee) before being posted. I've explained that anything the guest on my video does not want there, will be edited out at their request. 

I am all for constructive criticism where it is valid, but it does not seem like you have really read or understood what I've said. 

These old folks assume everyone is a pervert! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandis Jenkins said:

I honestly do not understand why people became so paranoid and started attacking. You explained your idea pretty well. At least I got the idea. I do not see anything wrong with you wanting to have people only with voice or that they should be 18+.

I saw people saying that it could be a red flag to something "adult". If she would ask you to moan in the microphone, you can always turn it off and tp away. Same with questions you do not want to answer, she did explain that you can tell to skip them.

You could always just make a new alt and use it for the interview and nobody will ever know who you really are :D

Thank you so much! 

Asking for 18+ does not equal "NSFW" that some people have assumed. Personally, I think it would be weirder if I, an adult, were willing to sit down and chat with children. Imagine if I had said, "Hey, any CHILDREN around want to sit down with a 20+ year old? *heavy breathing*" I just do not think it's appropriate LOL. Even my content which is SFW, I do not want children to be involved for their safety. I grew up with essentially unmonitored internet access that shaped me growing up, I've seen good, but also a lot of bad. Maybe I'm a bit too cautious and overprotective of my younger sibling on the internet, but still. I feel better safe than sorry.

Thank you for your understanding of my post! I was starting to question if I really worded it that badly, so I appreciate your reassurance. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

This is good advice.  

Me just continuing to talk about this topic, not directed to Gwin's posts....

I'm kind of wondering why still the old outdated stereotype about weirdos?  I never met too many weirdos personally but griefers used to be a big problem.  I'd like to see this old, dated stereotype be challenged somehow.  For example, aside from content creators and people who have a business, there are real recording artists here in SL and real 2D wall type art artists in SL.  There are all kinds of creative, friendly, funny, shy, or just pain ordinary people here and they are not weirdos.  

But, to the OP, I like Gwin's advice about starting some vlogs or even blogs first so people can get to know you.

My definition of a weirdo might be someone you don't even know acting too aggressive and thinking I am their free entertainment when I am in an adult female avatar.  I don't know what defines this "weirdo" stereotype exactly but it has been around way too long.

That's a great idea. I will consider doing some vlogs firstly to build rapport. I did consider making some SecondLife videos but I thought it would just be boring content. Now, I will reconsider and hopefully begin creating videos soon. 

And yes, my intention is not to "interview 'weirdos' " - it's to get to know different sides of the community, different people from artists, to shop owners, to just average people living their lives and want to share their experience. That's really all. I guess here's an example of the kind of content I want to produce for SL, just insightful and wholesome.

Take care!

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Meanwhile, I assume a lot of folks aren't perverts - and I mistrust them something awful because of it!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Meanwhile, I assume a lot of folks aren't perverts - and I mistrust them something awful because of it!

I am sorry to hear that. I've had that happen as well, but I'm lucky enough to have met respectful perverts. Most of the ones I turn down their advances just say, "Oh no worries thanks anyway" and are on their way. I'm thankful for that! 

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

No, no personalized information is kept in my sales data.  The sales data I was speaking of just involves numbers of particular items purchased. ....

...It's sad to hear that some viewing SL from the outside don't know that one creates their own SL here and it's all kinds of things just like in the real world is all kinds of things, imo.  ...

For the first part - oh, absolutely! That would be perfectly fine then, if you would like to share it, that would be very helpful!

For the second part, exactly! If it weren't for SL, I never would have tried Blender, for example. Friends of mine actually have classes they've hosted within SL and I've learned many things I never would have hadn't I installed SL those few years ago. There is a lot of good, positive, interesting things about SL that is very underground. 

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's not true though.  I'd like to see SL get a new image.  The old one is dated and seen it's welcome. One of the reason our population hasn't grown all that much is because most everyone went to phones.  Also, we have adult content here which many would like to see SL be for 18 + only.  Although, there are active groups that are G or PG rated almost all the actual people running the avatars are 18+.  It's just sometimes real families are on SL with their kids around so it's a keep it PG please kind of event concert.  No nudity, etc.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just an FYI.  You'll never really know for sure if someone is 16, 17 or over 18.  All are allowed in the forums and 16-17 yr olds on General regions inworld.  

The Internet: "This site contains adult content, you must be 18 years or older to visit. Continue?"
   8-year-old me: "Hells yes."

But to be fair, I was almost of age by the time those dang pictures loaded!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just an FYI.  You'll never really know for sure if someone is 16, 17 or over 18.  All are allowed in the forums and 16-17 yr olds on General regions inworld.  

I've known a lot of them for a very, very long time so they'd have to be 18 + by now.  LOL  I'd assume most are way over 18, most are likely 30's/40's, same average as all of SL.  

Some PG events/concerts etc where I get a PG invite are not because it's minors on SL, but because it's minors in the house where the computer screen is in real life.  There are people on SL with kids at home is what I was saying so if one gets a PG invite it's because of that.  What... SL should be single people only with no kids at home?  

Edited by EliseAnne85

22 minutes ago, alienaisha said:

That's a great idea. I will consider doing some vlogs firstly to build rapport. I did consider making some SecondLife videos but I thought it would just be boring content. Now, I will reconsider and hopefully begin creating videos soon. 

And yes, my intention is not to "interview 'weirdos' " - it's to get to know different sides of the community, different people from artists, to shop owners, to just average people living their lives and want to share their experience. That's really all. I guess here's an example of the kind of content I want to produce for SL, just insightful and wholesome.

Take care!

No need to vlog first. Just do what you initially planned. Personally, I wouldn’t listen to the people in this forum as—no offense, it’s usually the same 20 people answering the same questions, and they don’t even represent all of SL. They’ll wax poetic about being in second life for 15+ years, chase away the new people asking the most straightforward questions expecting straightforward answers, and just ruin the fun.

You definitely shouldn’t feel discouraged about this passion project, nor should you have to be forced to explain yourself. No one here is using their real name, no one will recognize someone’s voice unless they naturally sound like Donald Duck. This is not real life, it’s not that serious. There are no risks of your family finding out you like to wear a dog tail up your back door, or your boss knowing you’re into mud wrestling. The people worth interviewing will realize this especially since you had to hammer in removing any questions they don’t want to answer and/or cutting footage they don’t want in the video. 

I’d say to jump into one of the popular hangout spots and/or popular inworld groups and advertise there. You could also start with your friend group, word of mouth. Make the first video and people will start reaching out to you for their own interviews. I’ve noticed that a lot of older people like to live in iron fortresses and get paranoid about even simple questionnaire as if anyone is forcing them to be truthful with their responses or as if the question about how many virtual dresses they bought in the past 24 hours could somehow link back to their real life address. Go to places with younger residents who don’t take this platform all that seriously. It’ll make for a more entertaining video, unless the goal is to snicker at the “weirdo” you’re interviewing.

There’s a reason trolling videos are so popular on YouTube (especially compared to other games). Some people think second life is a real tangible world, and outsiders see that and find the residents weird and worthy of mockery—not saying it is or isn’t right. I know before I joined the game I thought it was a place people with unfulfilling lives went to sit and seethe. I know now that’s further from the case for the average resident, but it still doesn’t change the public’s perception. People don’t give a rats about the pixel banging. What’s funny is how some residents react to trolls, and how some residents take the name “second life” very literally.

Anyway, that’s my rant. I hope you succeed in all your endeavors. I’d love to see SL become more popular through your videos—if not so I have more people to do things with.

All the best! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, alienaisha said:

Thank you so much for this. I honestly do like the idea of a talk show, too! 

I did have plans to create an in-world set, but I did not consider having a set topic per "episode". That's a really nice idea, I do like it! If I go this route would you be comfortable with me crediting you at the very least? 

You're very welcome. And absolutely, you can credit if you like! Feel free to steal the idea even. No need to credit me. But if you get rich and famous, I get 20%! 😂

Also, if YouTube isn't your jam, there are always podcasts. As far as I know, Second Life still isn't allowed to be streamed on Twitch, so if you want video, you may have to look into other options.

Have fun and best of luck! ❤️

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'm kind of wondering why still the old outdated stereotype about weirdos?  I never met too many weirdos personally but griefers used to be a big problem.  I'd like to see this old, dated stereotype be challenged somehow.

Why would you want to change it? You assume all things weird are negative, but they're not. Weirdos make the world go round, both the real one and second life. Everyone is their own weirdo in some way. Differences and similarities bring people together, but neither one is more important than the other. In sl weirdo cold mean just about anything. It's good to showcase the same and the different.

I'm definitely weird when compared to peers of my own age. I'm younger than a lot of people I meet in sl. Most people my age, if they play games at all, and sorry for calling sl a game, but oh well, they don't play sl. Sl doesn't appeal to my age bracket as much as other things someone can do online do. That makes me a weirdo, to them, and others I run into. But it doesn't make me a bad weirdo, just, different. I'm okay knowing that. I'm sure they're okay knowing that too. They're all weirdos to me for wanting fps games where they go around killing people all the time. But that doesn't make their weird bad either. Weird is subjective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PookieTM said:

No need to vlog first. Just do what you initially planned. Personally, I wouldn’t listen to the people in this forum as—no offense, it’s usually the same 20 people answering the same questions, and they don’t even represent all of SL. They’ll wax poetic about being in second life for 15+ years, chase away the new people asking the most straightforward questions expecting straightforward answers, and just ruin the fun.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there...this contains a lot of assumptions.  I'm not trying to ruin the fun of the project by suggesting a vlog.  I simply thought it was a good idea.  It's an introduction of one's self that can be viewed easily via a link.  I was thinking ice breaker so I thought it was a good idea.  My posts in no way are something that I expect anyone on the internet to follow, let alone this forum.   I came to the forum to optimize my SL and have learned a lot here.  I have had issues with EEP especially and still hate it.  I, however, like to share what I remember through the years of SL as we've all been through many hills and valleys in SL.  I wanted people to know I was an oldbie but for a lot of things still a newbie.

I, in no way, want to quell nor stifle this person's passion.  This is a place for discussion, not ad hominems.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

2 hours ago, alienaisha said:

Asking for 18+ does not equal "NSFW" that some people have assumed. Personally, I think it would be weirder if I, an adult, were willing to sit down and chat with children. Imagine if I had said, "Hey, any CHILDREN around want to sit down with a 20+ year old?

In the confines of sl, asking for 18+ usually does mean that. I haven't been here as long as others, probably less time than you, I didn't look, but I know that. You might think it seems a bit unfair assumption to you, but in sl context it's a really fair one, even if it ends up being wrong.

It would be weird to specifically ask for kids, like you said lol, but you're way less likely to run across minors in here anyway so requesting them would definitely be really weird under almost any context and probably raise serious red flags with ll too haha. I bet they'd probably shut you down faster than any discussion thread. So, good idea to confirm it's not that kind of 18+

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

Why would you want to change it? You assume all things weird are negative, but they're not. Weirdos make the world go round, both the real one and second life. Everyone is their own weirdo in some way. Differences and similarities bring people together, but neither one is more important than the other. In sl weirdo cold mean just about anything. It's good to showcase the same and the different.

I'm definitely weird when compared to peers of my own age. I'm younger than a lot of people I meet in sl. Most people my age, if they play games at all, and sorry for calling sl a game, but oh well, they don't play sl. Sl doesn't appeal to my age bracket as much as other things someone can do online do. That makes me a weirdo, to them, and others I run into. But it doesn't make me a bad weirdo, just, different. I'm okay knowing that. I'm sure they're okay knowing that too. They're all weirdos to me for wanting fps games where they go around killing people all the time. But that doesn't make their weird bad either. Weird is subjective.

True in some ways.   I often say there is good weird and bad weird and that weird is a weird word.

But, in my thinking, to change the image of SLers from just one thing "weirdos"...I dunno, it's beginning to sound old and stale.  I think it's unique users, varied.  

To me, that's what the population really is, imo, and my experience, varied.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.