You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Who knows why?  I only have a semi-reliable reproduction anyway.  It's most likely the viewer that is doing it.  I can hazard a guess that instead of taking a copy of all of the names/ids of the items in the folder structure that need to be copied at the start of the paste and then copying just those items, maybe instead it iterates through the structure as it is copying and pasting and so then starts to copy and paste the items it has already done.  There might be a race condition in there somewhere that causes it to happen.  It may not be that simple though as sometimes it happens but most times it doesn't.  Just a theories though.

Ok, so it is not really directly related to the current "inventory width/depth" issues (guidance that people"Really, really need to do XXX" and were even supposedly advised to to XXX). 

(Or I would have read about it more...)

17 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Skell Dagger spoke to me in this post.  Lost in Inventory: “I just do eyes!” (Plus an awesome tip for that initial sort of your chaotic inventory!) – Virtual Bloke

It is yes on almost every point. I got a laptop that's not super super strong, but much better. So log in time is no problem.

• You’ve tried to sort it all before – possibly several times – but you gave up. And now your inventory is even more of a mess than before, with random partially sorted folders everywhere
  • You have no idea what you’ve unpacked and not unpacked. Some stuff has been unpacked more than once, and you daren’t even open your Received Items folder
  • You’ve been out shopping at the weekend sales, and a vendor refunded you with the admonishment of ‘You’ve already purchased this item!’ Or, worse still, it wasn’t one of those nice refunding vendors, and only once you’d made a half-hearted effort at filing the item did you realise that you’d already purchased it
  • Your login time is getting so long that you could probably go and make a cup of tea while you wait
  • You love BoM, but the sheer number of items you now get with it (40 individual layers instead of one applier HUD) has made you throw your hands up in despair and resign yourself to just living with the chaos

Skell is missed!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok, so it is not really directly related to the current "inventory width/depth" issues (guidance that people"Really, really need to do XXX" and were even supposedly advised to to XXX). 

(Or I would have read about it more...)

I've never seen anyone mention anything like it before so it's possible very few people have come across it.  Really I mentioned it not to derail but to highlight there are worse inventory problems out there so it might make people feel better about their inventory issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have 1200 of Stun poses in one folder. It is lots of smaller folders with 6, 8, 12 animations in each.

That's exactly the perfect situation to be in. As long as you've got smaller folders within the big one, you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

I tried to keep under 70,000 then 100,000 then 200,000 and failed and nothing bad has happened that logging in to a quiet region and making some sub folders hasn't fixed.

My advice then is by all means try to keep things tidy, but also don't stress too much about it. Until recently my broadband connection was slow and regardless of what I did could never reduce packet loss to the percentages deemed normal. If anything terrible was going to happen for going over 100,000 inventory items it would have happened to me years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One tip I learnt recently that is helpful especially for those with large inventories is around the way search works. Have you ever had the problem where you search in your inventory for something, you find the folder with the shoes or whatever you wanted in, but the item you actually want is not showing because it doesn't have the text of your search in its name... you select the folder then remove the search text and then you lose your view of the folder and it felt like the search was useless? well what to do is one press of the down cursor and your view will go back to where you had clicked and you can then expand the folder see the contents and hopefully what you were looking for. The step with the down cursor was new to me until recently and it is a game changer.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

what to do is one press of the down cursor and your view will go back to where you had clicked and you can then expand the folder see the contents and hopefully what you were looking for.

I love you, I want to marry you and have your babies.

• Haha 2

I have over 400K only because I have deleted tens of thousands of items over the years. The subfolders can take thousands so do not stress too much on that, and then those folders can have folders, so if you only have hundreds you should be doing just fine, pretty much its under 10K I was told back when items were vanishing if you didn't have subfolders.

I tend to just grab huge chunks of loose folders and nest them in other folders, like Sort Me 2021 and then i start over, one day I might just 'Sort Me 2016 2017 2018 2019 and so on :P '

but my inventory loads instantly I rarely have issues, every so often i get the empty folder thing and relog and it sorts itself.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.