Please sort out your stuff

KeikoNishioka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would quote Animats, but it's a long post, and I tend to break quotes when I edit them... ^-^;

Yeah, a lot of people don't even realize the viewer is dealing with more than one kind of network traffic, let alone anything about ports. Second Life isn't like Facebutt or even most MMO's, it's a whole other animal, and it can be a lot to learn about if a person wants to get into what I think of as the "full control comfort zone" of relaxing and researching instead of getting frustrated and wanting to give up when something goes wrong. Even just getting a firewall to whitelist something can be a hassle for the uninitiated.

I'm one of those people who finds this part of what attracts me to SL, if something is going stupid, I can get under the hood and find out what's going on, and I can change and fix a lot of it on my own. It's just a lot for most people to have to take in, and it can make problem solving look like a brick wall sometimes.

Thanks for the post, that was some really good stuff, and I'll have to remember where it is now, for future reference. ^-^

Edited by PheebyKatz

On 11/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, Rolig Loon said:

If you can't, put your computer close to the router (not on the other side of a wall)

Easier said than done since there is a wall with outlets between the living room and my "office" and another one between my office and his. 

Keep in mind we live in a 14-foot-wide mobile home. In a park with over 300 other mobile homes both single and doublewides. And some are almost as old as I am, while a few are older than I am! 

So, instead, we trip over cables if we don't nail them up by the ceiling.

Now, if he would just do something with all the damned shoes I keep tripping over... ☺️

They're his, not mine.

• Haha 2

On 11/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, Rowan Amore said:

I recently got an upgrade to my cable modem/router.  We'd had ours for over 5 years and were experiencing a few connections issues with the Netflix.  They never suggested upgrading but when they did, our speed has basically tripled.  I've always run SL wirelessly although I recently got a line set up if I choose to use it.  Since the upgrade, my wireless speeds are the same as my wired speeds.

Moral of the story?  Don't wait for your service provider to tell you something should be updated.  Call and have them bring their latest equipment.  Same price, MUCH better service/speed.

This! So much this! Do not wait the 5 years either or they may discontinue the modem altogether like they did to us! If nothing else at least check annually and save yourself a lot of heartache, stress and some money.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, PheebyKatz said:

I was having horrific problems, like I hadn't experienced since I was new, and with all of my diagnostic and forensic experience (which is a lot, trust me) I couldn't sort it out. I did research and found that even LL had no answers when people experienced the problems I was having, and could only offer some helpful hints to enable one to even see an avatar and move around.

The only answer that turned out to have actual knowledge behind it was one Rolig gave someone several years ago, and it was absolutely correct. My entire problem was that someone hadn't paid the internet bill, and our ISP was throttling the kind of traffic that makes Second Life and my roomates' ability to stream themselves while gaming possible, rather than simply cutting us off. We pay extra for a massive connection, so they did us that "courtesy" rather than shutting it down entirely, and rather than saying anything like "hey, you guys forgot to pay us."

The result of all of this was that I had working internet but broken SL. Naturally, I assumed, like anyone else would, that it was SL that was broken. At least my SL was broken, or I thought so, anyway.

While trying to find answers to my problems, I read through a lot of screaming rants at LL. And the entire problem was between user and router or user and ISP. There are some things they can fix and some things they can't, and in my experience they really do try their best to fix things when they actually screw up. The only way to really give everyone a more satisfactory experience would be to completely rebuild everything from scratch, but then everything in the whole grid would probably have to be replaced. And it's all the Resident's own creations.

I think more people would complain about that than they do currently about SL being a butt. Sure, SL is a butt, but it's our butt.

I love it when I run across other people who truly grok SL and LL even when LL doesn't truly grok itself. 💓

On 11/23/2022 at 9:11 PM, KeikoNishioka said:

Im using firestorm as for the voice issue it only popped up i think 2 or 3 days ago but as of today is working again so im unsure =/ Again, Im sorry for my forum post, i was frustrated and dident know i was taking it out on the community, Im sorry guys and ladies 

Apology accepted. No need to apologize a third time. 

Thank you for the apology. It's kind of rare for people to so easily and freely admit to their mistakes here for some odd reason so it's really refreshing when it does happen. Thank you for that.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 10:49 PM, PheebyKatz said:

I've used Firestorm for over 6 years now and have never gotten voice to work. If you get it fixed, please let us know here, so I can decide if it's worth it to try it all over again for the umpteenth time, lol.

Did you whitelist (in your antivirus and firewall) the vivox.exe? Since voice in SL is Vivox which is owned by Unity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivox

From the FS wiki:

Voice Issues

Please note: Viewers play a minor part in voice functionality. The bulk of voice support is given by the external application called SLVoice, which is made by the SL voice provider, Vivox. Voice failures are almost always due to one of the following reasons:

• Your ISP is throttling or blocking the voice service;
  • failure of the Vivox service;
  • voice issues on the region you are on;
  • voice being throttled by bandwidth set incorrectly - please check it by following the instructions here;
  • voice hardware (mic, headset) not configured correctly in your operating system settings;
  • voice hardware not configured correctly in the viewer;
  • another application has your voice hardware in use (example, Skype);
  • your anti virus software has “mangled” the voice application; see steps on this page: here.

• your firewall is blocking slvoice. Add slvoice to your firewall's exclusion/allow list.

Some Internet access providers do not turn of service for subscribers that haven't paid their bills because they can adjust their account and service and claim them as a Lifeline Subscriber and get paid out of a government fund.  The provider is required to notify the subscriber within 90 days or something stupid like that depending on jurisdiction.  I think it's nuts.

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I read the title of the thread and immediately felt shame because I thought it referred to people's inventories. And mine is a disaster since black Friday weekend.

Not need to feel ashamed!  Mine has been a disaster since 2015.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I read the title of the thread and immediately felt shame because I thought it referred to people's inventories. And mine is a disaster since black Friday weekend.

38 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not need to feel ashamed!  Mine has been a disaster since 2015.

^^ - Except that mine has pretty much been a mess since shortly after I got here in 2007.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Apology accepted. No need to apologize a third time. 

Thank you for the apology. It's kind of rare for people to so easily and freely admit to their mistakes here for some odd reason so it's really refreshing when it does happen. Thank you for that.

Really. It should be pinned or framed. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.