Jump to content

Come and get your Homesteads (P+ only, of course)


LittleMe Jewell
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

What are the advantages of purchasing a homestead from LL, rather than renting one from a land baron, if I am already a premium plus member? I am in Australia so there will be a fee (GST of 10%) to pay on top of the monthly cost. However, there is also a fee for me to buy lindens to pay a land baron, and a fee to use PayPal to pay a land baron for rent if they allow that method. I am just wanting to know if I will see any real benefit to owning my own homestead as opposed to renting.

  • You get to name and place your homestead.
  • You have the same standing with LL as the land baron with regards to being the owner of the Homestead.
  • You get direct support from LL for the Homestead and they will deal direct with you over issues instead of having to do this through the land baron.
  • You get access to being able to restart and start the Homestead in safe mode from your account dashboard.
  • You get to decide if another person can join their private island up to yours from your account dashboard.
  • Nobody but LL can reclaim your Homestead.  If you don't go direct to LL, there two parties that can do that.  It's much harder to move even a Homestead's worth of objects to another Homestead if you needed to move land barons for any reason.

This is the whole list that I can think of but it assumes that the land baron gives you estate manager rights with no additional TOS to adhere to.  If you don't get estate manager rights for the rental price or there are additional TOS to have to adhere to then there will be lots more that you cannot have control over.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

What are the advantages of purchasing a homestead from LL, rather than renting one from a land baron, if I am already a premium plus member? I am in Australia so there will be a fee (GST of 10%) to pay on top of the monthly cost. However, there is also a fee for me to buy lindens to pay a land baron, and a fee to use PayPal to pay a land baron for rent if they allow that method. I am just wanting to know if I will see any real benefit to owning my own homestead as opposed to renting.

I don't know but if you can buy from them cheaper then L$3990 per week , do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 5:26 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

The main point of this was this ... without buying a full region. Some of us could never contemplate paying $249/month for a full region PLUS the $109 to get that homestead. We also wanted control over that homestead's name, rating, position on the grid etc., so not renting from a landlord. And 5K prims is more than enough to decorate a homestead well.

And the next part ...

Yes, it's $250/year, true, however ... to own a region you'd already have been paying $99/year. So technically it's an additional $150/year, so just $12.50 more per month.

For the many people expressing a desire to own a homestead without a region over the years, plus the additional benefits of PP, it just may be worth it, and a good deal. I feel the only folks upset by this are the land barons, and that's fine by me :)One man's fish is another man's poisson, after all.

You don't need a premium account to own a (full) region. Ever.

Edited by AzureWaves
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

You don't need a premium account to own a (full) region. Ever.

That's not what I was saying. I was reminding a poster that until the PP came along that allows you to own a homestead region, that you had to own a full region to purchase a homestead. That was the main thrust of my post.

That second part was because someone else was doing the math with memberships (P or PP) included in their calculations and I was clarifying the math behind that if a user had a P membership. I don't think I ever said you had to have P to own a region, I was just adding to a previous example where someone did use that as the baseline argument. I agree I could have worded that second bit better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I bought my region many years ago, from another person, including a $100 USD region transfer fee. When we did this, LL told me that I had to be premium to own it. I got my first premium membership the day before I got my region.

Yeah, I'm not sure what AzureWaves was referring to. Owning a region requires Premium membership last I heard (and since forever).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I bought my region many years ago, from another person, including a $100 USD region transfer fee. When we did this, LL told me that I had to be premium to own it. I got my first premium membership the day before I got my region.

 

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what AzureWaves was referring to. Owning a region requires Premium membership last I heard (and since forever).

 

Maybe way back in the early days -- I'm not sure about that.  However, for at least the last decade or so, a Premium membership has not been required to buy a Region from LL.  Here is the Knowledgebase article.  It specifically mentions the membership for Mainland, but no mention of such for Region.  And if you search the forums, you will find it stated many times that you do not need to be Premium to buy a Region.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/

image.thumb.png.8102d03e4978e4b551ce19dc7e30ef79.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

 

 

Maybe way back in the early days -- I'm not sure about that.  However, for at least the last decade or so, a Premium membership has not been required to buy a Region from LL.  Here is the Knowledgebase article.  It specifically mentions the membership for Mainland, but no mention of such for Region.  And if you search the forums, you will find it stated many times that you do not need to be Premium to buy a Region.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/

image.thumb.png.8102d03e4978e4b551ce19dc7e30ef79.png

Since at least 2007 you haven't needed to have a premium to own a region. Don't know how far other people are going back, but that was never a requirement for a private standalone region (mainalnd you needed).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...