Lowering Avatar-Related Costs

MaukaShowers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Sounds like there is a dev kit also..

It's not enough to make a dev kit. Unless the Lindens put it in the hands of top tier content creators and entice them in some way to present goods for this body, it's going to stay in the inventory like the lady with the purse dog. The full-perm crew does not qualify here. 

16 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

It's not enough to make a dev kit. Unless the Lindens put it in the hands of top tier content creators and entice them in some way to present goods for this body, it's going to stay in the inventory like the lady with the purse dog. The full-perm crew does not qualify here. 

If it comes in our inventories it will be in the hands of everyone, they can just reach in and get it like everyone else.. If they need it placed any easier then that then they need to come on down from the high horse.

I mean it should be that way anyways for everyone..

It'll be nice if we get a community that builds up the Nux like we had with system avatars..An avenue where you don't have to make too big of an investment until you are ready to..  it'll be nice to have a buffer that slows down that big push to go spend.

• Like 1

The point of NUX is not to fill the role of currently available mesh bodies and I would drop dead from shock if it was as good as any of them. In fact, I would be surprised if it was as good as any of the freebie eBody or Altamura bodies. Linden Lab wants you to look like hot garbage compared to everyone else except for Meta Zuckerbots. They want you to log in to SL for the first time and not look a 20 year old lump of rancid pixels. Beyond that, they still want you to buy linden $$, so there's no way it will be that good. Why do people keep thinking it will be comparable? The sooner it gets stuffed into your forgotten inventory because you bought something better, the better for LL's bottom line.

They don't even really want people to find out about the free bodies you can get now, in my opinion. Let me know if they make a howto video for eBody Curvy. lmao there's no way, because you don't need to spend money for that. They want you buying those lindens and feeding the machine.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

The point of NUX is not to fill the role of currently available mesh bodies and I would drop dead from shock if it was as good as any of them. In fact, I would be surprised if it was as good as any of the freebie eBody or Altamura bodies. Linden Lab wants you to look like hot garbage compared to everyone else except for Meta Zuckerbots. They want you to log in to SL for the first time and not look a 20 year old lump of rancid pixels. Beyond that, they still want you to buy linden $$, so there's no way it will be that good. Why do people keep thinking it will be comparable? The sooner it gets stuffed into your forgotten inventory because you bought something better, the better for LL's bottom line.

They don't even really want people to find out about the free bodies you can get now, in my opinion. Let me know if they make a howto video for eBody Curvy. lmao there's no way, because you don't need to spend money for that. They want you buying those lindens and feeding the machine.

Not sure who said they were gonna fill the role of the top of the line bodies, sure wasn't me.. I said they will be a nice buffer to where you don't have to rush right into one of the bodies you buy..

I take it you haven't seen them yet? Because the one I seen didn't look too bad really.. Really good for starter avatars..

You can mess with the shapes they are Bom compatible, come with a head and a body, a wardrobe, hair.

I took an avatar through the start area recently and went from the perspective of it being my first time here with no money and no knowledge of where to start.. Mainly because I wanted to get the feel of what it was like for a brand new user entering second life today.. It's a pain in the butt.

Try setting one up going from the perspective of, you don't know where anything is or how to find it and try to keep it honest without spending a dime other than what that avatar generates themself.. then see how long before you get frustrated trying to put an avatar together.. Can't use any knowledge you know already, but only the knowledge you are given along the way.

The point of those avatars is to head them off before they reach the frustration point with the avatar part of it, so they can concentrate on other things.

Nobody needs a top body or a top head to do second life.. that's just something that gets instilled in people..

If you have something you can work with and make it work and are happy with the results, that's all you really need.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Why would they do that? Almost nobody makes clothes for it, and almost nobody wears it? Why would LL sink time into producing content for fringe bodies that not even the creator supports currently?

Well if you've ever walked a newbie through getting out of their crappy starter av and into a free mesh av you might understand why it would make a difference to new members. My point was that LL has no interest in supporting things that don't make them money. Which is normal and entirely expected. And so that's why NUX will be better than the starter avs but no great shakes otherwise.

Edited by Ezbeharra
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

Well if you've ever walked a newbie through getting out of their crappy starter av and into a free mesh av you might understand but I guess you haven't.

I wouldn't bother walking a newbie through a free mesh av, because that leads to the inevitable forum post or someone crashing in a group like, "Where can I find clothes for this generic free avatar?" And nobody having any. And then the newbie being mad they have to start from scratch.

The free mesh avatars are a singular waste of time. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I wouldn't bother walking a newbie through a free mesh av, because that leads to the inevitable forum post or someone crashing in a group like, "Where can I find clothes for this generic free avatar?" And nobody having any. And then the newbie being mad they have to start from scratch.

lmao newbies rarely post to the forum, it's the same 4 dozen people with thousands of posts each over and over again, and if more of them did, even with their dumb questions, it would be better than 99% of what's already here. SL perpetuates its own stale culture over and over again

• Like 4

Just now, Ezbeharra said:

lmao newbies rarely post to the forum, it's the same 4 dozen people with thousands of posts each over and over again, and if more of them did, even with their dumb questions, it would be better than 99% of what's already here. SL perpetuates its own stale culture over and over again

And yet, you're here.

9 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The Lindens WILL put it into the hands of all the top tier content creators. AND the bottom tier creators. AND everyone else, including me and you.  It will be in your Inventory Library from the day of launch.

It's greatest value is going to be for beginner designers who are just learning to build and rig mesh; they'll be able to learn on NUX whilst their store is still too small (or non-existent) to allow them to get hold of any other body's dev-kit. They'll be able to learn their craft, establish a store with NUX clothing and use that as evidence to get the dev kits for other bodies.

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Except for Lucybody, which wears Maitreya clothes and (since its latest update) shoes for both Slink and Maitreya. Yes okay it's not technically free, it costs a dollar, and you have to wait 3-4 days for the Midnight Mania to fill. But that's still just 10% of the cost of Maitreya.

Lucybody isn't perfect, and it isn't up to the quality of Reborn or Kalhene. But it's good enough that many people are happy to stay with it for years.

And the free mesh heads are even better - you have Genus free which is equal in quality and functionality to every other Genus head. The Black Friday/Christmas gifts from Lelutka, Akeruka, Catwa, etc. Those too are full quality, full functionality heads to match the rest of the range. If you have a free head and you like it, there will never be any need to buy one.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

The Lindens WILL put it into the hands of all the top tier content creators. AND the bottom tier creators. AND everyone else, including me and you.  It will be in your Inventory Library from the day of launch.

It's greatest value is going to be for beginner designers who are just learning to build and rig mesh; they'll be able to learn on NUX whilst their store is still too small (or non-existent) to allow them to get hold of any other body's dev-kit. They'll be able to learn their craft, establish a store with NUX clothing and use that as evidence to get the dev kits for other bodies.

Sooo much this! \o/ ^^^^^^

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Except for Lucybody, which wears Maitreya clothes and (since its latest update) shoes for both Slink and Maitreya. Yes okay it's not technically free, it costs a dollar, and you have to wait 3-4 days for the Midnight Mania to fill. But that's still just 10% of the cost of Maitreya.

Lucybody isn't perfect, and it isn't up to the quality of Reborn or Kalhene. But it's good enough that many people are happy to stay with it for years.

And the free mesh heads are even better - you have Genus free which is equal in quality and functionality to every other Genus head. The Black Friday/Christmas gifts from Lelutka, Akeruka, Catwa, etc. Those too are full quality, full functionality heads to match the rest of the range. If you have a free head and you like it, there will never be any need to buy one.

Plus if they don't feel like waiting the 3-4 days for the LUCYBODY.  They have various prices that you can get the body right away instead of using the board..They are donations to keep the project going.. the lowest donation being 250L$ and then 250L$ for the bom pack.. So 500 total investment for the body if they don't feel like waiting. 250 if they do want to wait for the body and only get the bom conversion kit..

It's the best inexpensive body for new users, because of the content it can accumulate compared to any of the others and still use what it accumulated in the future .. Where TMP/classic you can't because of it's limits and pretty much the same goes for any of the other low cost to free bodies as well..

Also, there is the Rebirth Mesh Head which is 1L$, which also can use the Evo x skins.. Even has the buttons you click for the skins you are wearing.. The group is free and probably is the most advanced up to date of any of the low cost to free heads that is always available year round.

It comes with a folder full of,

Skins which also has Neck blends and 4 shapes.

A folder full of bom eyes for the mesh eyes

A folder full of cosmetics

a folder full of Eye lashes

Plus in the hud is has various ear shapes from human to the different pointy sizes for elves or whatever the others sizes like them are for..

For 1L$ it's a lot of bang for the buck. :)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of lowering avatar costs, is there any word yet on whether Lelutka is having a Black Friday or Christmas sale? They have a head I'm itching to get my hand on but I'm reluctant to buy it yet, if they are planning on dropping the price in the next few weeks.

11 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Speaking of lowering avatar costs, is there any word yet on whether Lelutka is having a Black Friday or Christmas sale? They have a head I'm itching to get my hand on but I'm reluctant to buy it yet, if they are planning on dropping the price in the next few weeks.

Most likely "yes" as they had a black friday sale for 3 years in a row, but nothing has been confirmed yet. People on their discord server ask that a lot lately. I would definitely wait 2 weeks at this point.

For Xmas I don't remember them doing any sales, though, last two years they had major giveaways of female and male heads instead. But difficult to say if they'll do same year too, especially consider how some people acted after giveaway ended last year. They had all dates perfectly listed, and yet some people who didn't bother to read were very vocal about how "disappointed they are" and how "terrible Lelutka is" for "ending it early". So their staff was rather discouraged by those.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Most likely "yes" as they had a black friday sale for 3 years in a row, but nothing has been confirmed yet. People on their discord server ask that a lot lately. I would definitely wait 2 weeks at this point.

For Xmas I don't remember them doing any sales, though, last two years they had major giveaways of female and male heads instead. But difficult to say if they'll do same year too, especially consider how some people acted after giveaway ended last year. They had all dates perfectly listed, and yet some people who didn't bother to read were very vocal about how "disappointed they are" and how "terrible Lelutka is" for "ending it early". So their staff was rather discouraged by those.

What? Ughhh... I hope the Xmas giveaway still happens! I realize it's hard to keep up with all the notices. The only issue I had with acquiring Kaya last year was TPing in to a pop up store while it wasn't too crowded. 

Patience (and reading the right notices) works. :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Wow, that's just terrible.. Well I hope those people haven't wrecked it for everyone else..

I mean you had to be pretty much brand new or living under a rock the last couple of years to not know it was for a limited time..

I hope the praise they got, outweighs enough to shout over the negativity from the self entitled late comers.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

On 11/10/2022 at 8:53 AM, steeljane42 said:

They had all dates perfectly listed, and yet some people who didn't bother to read were very vocal about how "disappointed they are" and how "terrible Lelutka is" for "ending it early". So their staff was rather discouraged by those.

That's shameful (on the part of the complainers, not Lelutka)

Complaining about a free gift is just so... tacky.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I shop the weekend sales listed below.

https://www.seraphimsl.com/category/recurring-events/weekend-sales/

I join groups that have gifts, grab freebies/cheapies at events or in stores when possible, go on hunts as well. 

https://fabfree.wordpress.com

Join groups like fabfree that inform of where there are items for cheap or free. And of course the black Friday sales when the mesh heads and bodies are usually half off 

• Like 1

You can put together a good looking avi for close to free. you just need to make sure to hit the free head deals they have had the last few years..

I grabbed the free Catwa Queen a few years or so ago, added the free legacy body they are still offering. got a group gift skin that was full body BOM, then hit the more group gifts for your clothes.. now finding well fitting clothing for that body can be tricky.. but it does look good.

17 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

You can put together a good looking avi for close to free. you just need to make sure to hit the free head deals they have had the last few years..

I grabbed the free Catwa Queen a few years or so ago, added the free legacy body they are still offering. got a group gift skin that was full body BOM, then hit the more group gifts for your clothes.. now finding well fitting clothing for that body can be tricky.. but it does look good.

As far I know, the free Legacy body is no longer available? Not at their main store at least.

For those of you who are looking for free head and body skins, you might want to checkout Boataom ASAP (like today, CyberMonday, cause I don't know if this is a limited time thing) and get their free body skins as a group gift. The group is free to join, and there are a bunch of head skins on the Group Gift wall as well.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 1

Well, I went and did it. Hedged my bet as far as having Lara as my only mesh body, and got Legacy while it was half price. I've been saving Legacy and EBody clothing in my inventory for a while so I'm prepared. I still have all the freebie body skins from Velour that they gifted last Christmas, and picked up the three most frequent shades that I buy for head skins that weren't in that freebie set (Snow, Rose Kiss, and Valley). So, I'm well set to try my new alternative whenever I have the time.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.