Ok, PEEVE

The internet, or at least a certain distinct community within it, is now loudly celebrating the fact that large breasted blondes, who had apparently been all but banned from popular media by . . . someone . . . for some reason . . . are ROARING back into fashion now, because of Sydney Sweeney.

GIFJdm4XYAEDS6a?format=jpg&name=small

Which of course means I'm going to have to ditch my Maitreya Petite and Legacy Perky, and invest in Reborn.

/me sighs heavily, her weighty blonde breasts heaving as she does so

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Which of course means I'm going to have to ditch my Maitreya Petite and Legacy Perky, and invest in Reborn.

Peeve: We've plenty of "boobs" around here! Now, off with ye!

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What's interesting about that is that their writing is generally actually better than that of many of the native speakers in my classes, because of the way they've been taught or have learned. The students who were born into the English language are far more prone to solecisms, colloquialisms, and the like precisely because it is their everyday language (and most were never taught how to write well).

You know what's funny - I always get caught out due to something similar to this. I never grew up speaking AAVE. We didn't have a good mix of different people in my childhood neighborhood and I was a bit of an English nerd anyway and read a TON of books growing up. Loved my writing classes as well, and poured hours into writing as a hobby. Not to mention, my brother would hole up in his room binging Shakespeare and Samuel Beckett and teaching himself Greek or whatever, so... you can say I just didn't have the exposure, lol. I did learn AAVE gradually over time, though (who even knows how - through music, probably), but if I'm ever in a position where I need to use it, I get teased relentlessly! The overly "formal" English I speak natively seeps through time and time again and RATS me out, no matter how hard I try to bury it. It's a classic "How do you do, fellow kids?" situation, lmao. The absolute worst. Peeve!

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Important point! If I am having problems with understanding the English of someone on the phone, it is generally because of their accent, not their command of the language. This is particularly true these days, of course, because so much of this phone service stuff has been outsourced to India (especially) or other places where English is spoken as a native language, but with a very different accent and intonation. In such cases, it's certainly not that they can't be "bothered" to learn English -- they just speak it differently. And unlike some, I do try to accommodate myself to that.

It's interesting, because there are accents that are definitely challenging, but I can understand them just fine. I've had roomies from Dubai and Bahrain and chatting with them was a breeze, and their accents were thiiiiiick. For some weird reason, Scottish is the only one I've heard (so far) that makes me stop and concentrate. Well, a good Trini accent can be a bit tough, too, now that I think about it.

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Same. Toronto is a "gateway" community (and in fact the most popular destination for new immigrants to Canada, of whom we get a lot), so you'll hear scores of languages on the streets and in the stores. I live in an area with a very heavy Portuguese/Brazilian community, an older Italian one, and right next to a Korean neighbourhood -- it's entirely normal to walk into a store here and not hear a word of English. It's exciting and fun, and I really actually kind of love it.

It's my absolute favorite thing about visiting the city. Out here in the burbs, there's very little language variety, though I do suspect we've got some Italian, Greek, and Chinese speakers, but they speak English out and about and likely just speak their native languages at home. Spanish is the other huge one in my area. If I want to hear other languages, a quick trip to the city and it's like being in a whole new part of the world. I love it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You know what's funny - I always get caught out due to something similar to this. I never grew up speaking AAVE. We didn't have a good mix of different people in my childhood neighborhood and I was a bit of an English nerd anyway and read a TON of books growing up. Loved my writing classes as well, and poured hours into writing as a hobby. Not to mention, my brother would hole up in his room binging Shakespeare and Samuel Beckett and teaching himself Greek or whatever, so... you can say I just didn't have the exposure, lol. I did learn AAVE gradually over time, though (who even knows how - through music, probably), but if I'm ever in a position where I need to use it, I get teased relentlessly! The overly "formal" English I speak natively seeps through time and time again and RATS me out, no matter how hard I try to bury it. It's a classic "How do you do, fellow kids?" situation, lmao. The absolute worst. Peeve!

AAVE isn't so much a thing here: most black Canadians born here speak in a manner indistinguishable from any other native-born Canadian. We do have a lot of immigration from parts of Africa -- especially Ethiopia, Somalia, and Nigeria -- and their accents are really quite lovely (and not at all hard to understand). But the real joy are the West Indians -- OMG the Caribbean patois is just beautiful. I could just listen to it for hours, for the sake of hearing it: it's so musical.

I had a somewhat similar experience in my early teens to yours with AAVE, weirdly enough: for reasons (my father was an English teacher, I read a lot, I was a pompous git, etc.), my English also tended to be pretty formal until I hit high school -- and it became a target of the kind of mean girl crap I'd likely have experienced anyway in middle school. So, I very consciously adopted a much more casual, slangy mode of speech. And mostly I succeeded at that. In fact, I still pretty naturally slip into that mode of speech in most contexts: it makes communication easier, I find.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

AAVE isn't so much a thing here: most black Canadians born here speak in a manner indistinguishable from any other native-born Canadian. We do have a lot of immigration from parts of Africa -- especially Ethiopia, Somalia, and Nigeria -- and their accents are really quite lovely (and not at all hard to understand). But the real joy are the West Indians -- OMG the Caribbean patois is just beautiful. I could just listen to it for hours, for the sake of hearing it: it's so musical.

Oh man, yes to all of that. African accents are very nice. Somewhat formal in a way, too. West Indian is far more casual and very fun! They get carried away in Trinidad, though, LOL. Getting the message across very quickly is the goal, so lots of words and letters get dropped, plus slang added in. And they talk SO fast.

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I had a somewhat similar experience in my early teens to yours with AAVE, weirdly enough: for reasons (my father was an English teacher, I read a lot, I was a pompous git, etc.), my English also tended to be pretty formal until I hit high school -- and it became a target of the kind of mean girl crap I'd likely have experienced anyway in middle school. So, I very consciously adopted a much more casual, slangy mode of speech. And mostly I succeeded at that. In fact, I still pretty naturally slip into that mode of speech in most contexts: it makes communication easier, I find.

Yup, the mean girl stuff is too real. The worst part is people assume of course I speak like that just based on appearance alone, so the pressure is always on. The instant I accidentally let a "g" slip in there (which takes all of 5 words because I'm awful at code switching), it's all over. I've had people (girls, mostly) get so hostile about it - actually demanding to know why I speak the way I do and grilling me about it. Omg. Ugh. That was a major peeve growing up.

I've never been able to consciously change the way I speak, but I did pick up a bit of British slang after a year and a half spent in the UK, so that probably made it even worse, honestly LOL. Throwing random foreign curses around mixed with my good old fashioned colorful NY hostilities. I've had a few people mention my "accent" before I naturally lost it again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

Nowhere does it say bring me your hostile hordes waving their own flags and who refuse to learn the English language does it?

But why are you assuming that they're refusing to learn the English language based on one encounter? For all you know they're in the process of learning it and was simply panicking at having to converse in it. My country has English as one of our official languages, and as the primary medium of formal instruction, business, and law, yet most citizens still freeze and stutter when spoken to in English, like so many deer in so many headlights. Things aren't always as they seem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

But why are you assuming that they're refusing to learn the English language based on one encounter? For all you know they're in the process of learning it and was simply panicking at having to converse in it. My country has English as one of our official languages, and as the primary medium of formal instruction, business, and law, yet most citizens still freeze and stutter when spoken to in English, like so many deer in so many headlights. Things aren't always as they seem. 

I'll give you that, things sometimes aren't what they seem, but what things look like sometimes is all that anyone sees. 

10 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I'll give you that, things sometimes aren't what they seem, but what things look like sometimes is all that anyone sees. 

In this particular instance, one's personality defines what one sees. You chose to see a hostile person who willfully defies learning the language of their chosen country, while others may choose to see someone who is new to their surroundings and still finding their feet. We don't know the real story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, SabrinaCooke said:

In this particular instance, one's personality defines what one sees. You chose to see a hostile person who willfully defies learning the language of their chosen country, while others may choose to see someone who is new to their surroundings and still finding their feet. We don't know the real story.

Well I did not go into detail about the situations specifically but I stand by what I said, and that's the real story .

Just now, Modulated said:

Well I did not go into detail about the situations specifically but I stand by what I said, and that's the real story .

No, that's the story from your perspective. But well, as they say in the US, you do you. Have a pleasant day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Peeve: When you don't know someone else but make a judgement on them! 🙂

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When you don't know someone else but make a judgement on them! 🙂

We all do this, of course, and myself included. I just find it odd that the immediate assumption after a very short encounter with a shop assistant who doesn't speak English is that they're hostile and deliberately refusing to learn the language. In my experience, most people who move to a different country in search of a better life are just trying their best to learn the culture, mores, and language in order to fit in. Not to mention that most people would have put the encounter out of their minds in the time it takes to cross the street, and would rarely take the time to post it in a forum. But to each their own, I suppose. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by SabrinaCooke
typo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

We all do this, of course, and myself included.

Well those intrinsically artificial and plastic people who always have to be the good guy in every scenario I mentioned earlier don't, ya know. ;)

Just now, Modulated said:

Well those intrinsically artificial and plastic people who always have to be the good guy in every scenario I mentioned earlier don't, ya know. ;)

You don't know me enough to judge that I'm one of those people. Though if that's your opinion of me, I think I shall judge you the same. Ya know. :)

Peeve: When forumites, who have been around long enough to know how posted topics around here ebb and flow,  post a real life controversial topic that they know will receive blow back then act surprised and victimized when someone calls them out on it.

Isn't that considered flaming?  Posting just to get a negative reaction? 

Same with the immaturity of constant name calling.  Isn't that posting just to get a negative reaction?  It's certainly not posting to engage in discussion. 

Maybe I'm wrong in what I think flaming is.  Is it "intent" and therefore can't be proven so it cant be moderated?

Bonus peeve: I don't understand what flaming is.

• Like 4

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes.

I think we need to refocus again on how untrendy my boobs are, and what I should do about it 

Peeve: You just want to get us to stare at your b00bs, catch us staring at your b00bs, then accuse us of staring at them b00bs!!1!!! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, PEEVE

The internet, or at least a certain distinct community within it, is now loudly celebrating the fact that large breasted blondes, who had apparently been all but banned from popular media by . . . someone . . . for some reason . . . are ROARING back into fashion now, because of Sydney Sweeney.

GIFJdm4XYAEDS6a?format=jpg&name=small

Ya but if you do that, you'll get lost in the crowd!! \o/

• Like 1