Which continent am I on?

Miyuki Takeda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Miyuki Takeda said:

I purchased a parcel of land. How do I tell whihc continent I am on?

What viewer are you using?  I use Firestorm. I look at the top bar and, about in the middle, the info about the parcel shows. Gives you the region (some call that a sim but it's a region), the coordinates (to find it on a map), and the name of the parcel. As far as I know, you have to see the property on the world map to determine which continent it is on: Sansara, Jeogeot, Heterocera, Satori, Nautilus, Corsica, Gaeta V, or Zindra. 

Edited by Cate Foulsbane
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miyuki Takeda said:

Cate, thank you for responding so quickly. I see area at the top of my Firestorm viewer that you are talking about. It shows Gramela (110, 1, 24). I have opened the world map but I don't see any Continent names, just Gramela. What else do I need to do?

Your region is a bit of an oddball. It looks like it was not originally part of a continent but at some point it did get connected to the continent of Sansara.
What is looks like is as if it is a private region and part of a group of regions which are (or were once) owned by the same private land owner.
Whatever the case may be, it looks like it is currently part of Sansara.
EDIT: I had a look in person and the road on the region is protected land, owned by Governor Linden. This is something which happens only on mainland, which means that your region is located on Sansara but it is perhaps one of the weirdest parts of it LOL.
https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gramela/110/1/23

image.png.734b0efb2007289423b143a86ac874aa.png

image.png.ea289f5bdd35766398ce7b743a3aeac6.png

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Your region is a bit of an oddball. It looks like it was not originally part of a continent but at some point it did get connected to the continent of Sansara.

It really IS odd. Was looking at it on the map yesterday and wondering how it happened. I mean to go there today to check out the possibilities for sailing.   OOoh wind gust in RL. I think maybe the tippy top of Ian is waving at me. Bye!

• Like 1

The  continents has been a slight annoyance through 14 years. When I open the map inworld, why can't it the map have a line or a box with the continent name?

Why do I need to go in the internet browser and google "Second Life map"? Then zoom out and compare SL with the maps I find.

It should not be necessary to do it, or get a marketplace gadget, find it and add it. My inventory is bad enough as it is. 

Why can't the map I open in SL include that tiny bit of information? Would it break the map? I am a bit grumpy at the moment. It seems so easy to include that information.

It is probably not easy.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Why can't the map I open in SL include that tiny bit of information?

The whole "continent" thing is a bit suspect. On planet earth, continents are more or less defined by the "shelves" that surround them and they are at planetary scale. What we have in Second Life is more similar to  Disneyland, that is, town/village size areas that differ in some way and need names for casual reference, but not used in actual navigation. I have a general idea of where SL continents are but have some border confusion in the Satori/Nautilus/Corsica areas.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The  continents has been a slight annoyance through 14 years. When I open the map inworld, why can't it the map have a line or a box with the continent name?

Why do I need to go in the internet browser and google "Second Life map"? Then zoom out and compare SL with the maps I find.

It should not be necessary to do it, or get a marketplace gadget, find it and add it. My inventory is bad enough as it is. 

Why can't the map I open in SL include that tiny bit of information? Would it break the map? I am a bit grumpy at the moment. It seems so easy to include that information.

It is probably not easy.

Couldn't the Moles put a phantom prim above an adjacent ocean region with the name of the Continent on it?  1 Land Impact.

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:52 AM, Yukiko Yeshto said:

For anyone curious about its history, you might find this article on the SL Fandom Wiki interesting:

My brain can't handle the bombardment of ads and things flying around. Had to quit trying before I could figure out where the info was. Did notice Azure Islands something or other. Anyway, thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, Miyuki Takeda said:

Cate, I haven't tried sailing yet. Good luck with Ian.

I didn't spend much time checking out the area, but I don't think you can sail out of there and into Mare Secunda. If you mean sailing in SL, period, do give it a try. It's fun!  Thanks for concern about Ian. He is bashing my windows with rain and wind gusts right now but, so far, no problems.. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

but not used in actual navigation. I have a general idea of where SL continents are but have some border confusion in the Satori/Nautilus/Corsica areas.

I started sailing in SL within a few months of logging on the first time so I have been using the World M Map for a LONG time. The continents have gone through so many changes over time, but sailors tend to keep track because we want more options..more more! The creation of Bellisseria has helped us get more connections, more places to sail. Yay! I don't fly in SL, but I am sure those who do on a regular basis have their own perspectives about World Map, Continents, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Miyuki Takeda said:

I hope Ian left you unscathed. I didn't think that place was sailable. In fact, I sold that parcel in Sansara and bought a sailable one in Corsica. lol

I think Ian is pretty much gone now..doing dirty work up in VA, NY, etc. I have leaves all over my deck and everything is soaking wet, but no damage and I only lost power for a minute or so last night..yay! Thank you for the concern.  As for land, yay, you care about sailing and got land from whiich you can launch yourself! Yay!  Maybe you will find your way to Thistle Cove in Nautilus one day...it's a long sail but can be done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.