Linux Problem

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to log into SL with a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4G ram, and I'm thinking that a slim system like Radegast will do it. But Radegast doesn't come in a Linux flavour. Is there a Linux slim/text viewer out there that can do it?

Note
I did try both Firestorm and Singularity but they wouldn't even open, so I couldn't try logging in. I thought I might have been able to log in and just stand still :)

It. Isn't. A. Linux. Problem.

SL/TPVs will run on Linux. They will not run on ARM.

If you're finding installation instructions for an SL Viewer for ARM, that's nice. if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work or you may need to do some tweaks.

Put bluntly: It is not the OS that is an issue. it is the CPU.

Try the ARM build of the Cool VL Viewer (the corresponding forum thread is here)... No guarantee, but worth a try.

You should also be able to build the viewer from its current sources on your Pi (instructions for building are the same as for x86_64 Linux builds, i.e. merely untar the sources, change to the linden/ directory in a terminal, and type ./linux-build.sh)

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 5

The main problem you'll encounter with the Raspberry Pi is there is limited OpenGL support for it, which is going to be a bit of a hindrance to even low-Graphics programs like Radegast even when built from source. There are reports from people like Jeff Geerling about workarounds for this, and I also believe that the Dayturn forums might have some advice on implemtations.

The newer Pi4Bs are offering a 64-bit OS and there might be openGL support on the way for that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

The newer Pi4Bs are offering a 64-bit OS and there might be openGL support on the way for that.

Yes, I am assuming a PI 4B, here (my viewer no more supports 32 bits builds, especially under Linux, due to crash bugs in modern boost fiber/context 32 bits libraries).

• Like 1

Many thank to all who posted. I do appreciate it.

First I'm going to try Henri's ARM build, and then, if needed, the other suggestions.

My purpose is to reduce the power I use for my computing. I've turned the tower off and I'm using the Pi4 for email and browsing. I'd like a way of logging into SL as well, but only to be around for IMs and such, which is what I normally do anyway. It may be that anything else might still need to be done with the tower.

ETA
I'll post how it turns out in case anyone is interested in doing it. Such as @Gavin Hird.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Monty Linden said:

OpenGL support and fmod wrapping might be challenges

OpenGL is fine with modern ARM64 SoCs under Linux. FMOD is not needed (we have OpenAL support as well under Linux for TPVs, and my build scripts automatically select it for ARM builds).

It's good to see a Linden interested in this. It still puzzles me that LL did not yet change their stance about Linux support... You know, mobile platforms are mostly ARM-based, and Linux works very nicely with them, not to mention Android is just ”Linux by Google”, so an Android version of the viewer (with OpenGL ES) should be possible, after LL adapts what TPV devs have done for years for the viewer under Linux... Just imagine the perspectives it would open for a wider SL adoption.

• Like 2

I will probably buy an ARM SBC next year... I am waiting for RK3588-based boards to be widely available (and with proper Linux support): this SoC is a little beast, and these boards will have 8GB of RAM or more, making them suitable for running a full-fledged SL viewer.

The Banana Pi BPI-W3, for example, looks very promising...

• Like 1

I bought my Pi 3's and 4 4GB model from a store in NYC called Tinkersphere. Just looked them up and the 8 GB currently sells for $180 USD. Yipes... that one used to sell for about $70-75 from that place IIRC. I live in the area so I've gotten my Pi's directly from the shop. Still a bargain for a SoC IMO. (Don't have them RN... still looking for a new place to crash long term... it's all in storage, boo.)

https://tinkersphere.com/raspberry-pi-orange-pi-boards/3046-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-15ghz-64-bit.html#/ram-8gb 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.