Cool VL...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

So I remember henri makes a viewer, I just went and installed it.... but there is a hiccup...    my password is more than 16 char,  SL takes it,  firestorm takes it...  cool VL will not take it...   So guess this is a viewer issue?

Cool VL viewer has their own forums. . (even if they are a bit of a pain to get to some times if you don't have a short internet path to France)

http://sldev.free.fr/forum/index.php

In SL, passwords are (now) limited, server-side, to 16 characters. That's why the viewer presents you with an alert (in the form of a blue tool tip dialog) when you try to log in with a larger password in SL, but the viewer itself accepts longer passwords for OpenSim, when other viewers will likely just silently truncate them (in fact, most viewers limit the password length via the password input box limit itself, and anything you type beyond the 16th character is simply ignored; you don't notice it because the password characters are replaced with stars, but count the number of stars when typing your password, and you will see there are 16 max).

To log in in SL with your ”too long” password, simply discard all the characters after the 16th...

Also, I see nothing ”unwise” in using phpbb... O.o Certainly wiser than using the security-holes-riddled WordPress blog software or other such software... 😝

Finally, even if you do not want to register the support forum, a simple search on it for ”password length” would have presented you with the solution.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

In SL, passwords are (now) limited, server-side, to 16 characters. That's why the viewer presents you with an alert (in the form of a blue tool tip dialog) when you try to log in with a larger password in SL, but the viewer itself accepts longer passwords for OpenSim, when other viewers will likely just silently truncate them (in fact, most viewers limit the password length via the password input box limit itself, and anything you type beyond the 16th character is simply ignored; you don't notice it because the password characters are replaced with stars, but count the number of stars when typing your password, and you will see there are 16 max).

To log in in SL with your ”too long” password, simply discard all the characters after the 16th...

Also, I see nothing ”unwise” in using phpbb... Ooo Certainly wiser than using the security-holes-riddled WordPress blog software or other such software... 😝

Finally, even if you do not want to register the support forum, a simple search on it for ”password length” would have presented you with the solution .

Gonna need verification on the password length, 16 is not secure in my industry.   @Quartz Mole @Dyna Mole is there any place we can verify this max password length at? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Gonna need verification on the password length, 16 is not secure in my industry.   @Quartz Mole @Dyna Mole is there any place we can verify this max password length at? 

If you go to the join page and make a new avatar, you'll see the password will stop accepting input at 16 characters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Yes, you never know... Just in case I would be a liar ! 🙄

Again, read (the SL change password page example is given there).

first, I call no one a liar,  that's where that stops,  we are not even going to go that route. 

16 is to short for my liking and in today's world,  if I can not generate at 32 char key and make it work with SL, than I'm not sure what I'm going to personally do.   32 char is simpler for me to generate a key above 256 rsa standard, I prefer 1gb standard personally on all my passwords.   

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you go to the join page and make a new avatar, you'll see the password will stop accepting input at 16 characters.

talking with a few other people that have long passwords such as myself, we just did a test, dropping our current password to 16 char cutting off the rest and we are able to login.   that's very concerning. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

I'm a bit confused, here... This page is about UUIDs, not passwords...

May I suggest you add the passwords length limit to this other Wiki page (under ”Misc”, perhaps): https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits ?

• Thanks 1

I tried the latest Cool VL Viewer on both my AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + RX 580 system and Intel i3 6100 + GTX 960 system, both running Linux. Nice framerate on the Nvidia system, btw. Even an older card such as the GTX 960 is just fine as long as the texture memory is set appropriately and shadows are off.

However... ALM seems broken with Lelutka mesh heads. The eyebrows are mesh and they simply don't show up in ALM mode. A "baked" set of eyebrows could be used. However, Lelutka mesh eyebrows have position adjustments (scripted to move the textures around by small increments) and bump & specular maps. Grab demos from the Lelutka store and see for yourself. Use the EvoX head UV and set the eyebrows using the HUD. But don't wear any eyebrow system tattoo layer since it wouldn't necessarily align with texture position adjustments made via the HUD.

Edited by KjartanEno
clarity

Fwiw, I can't reproduce this problem on Windows using the Lelutka Avalon head in EvoX mode.

https://gyazo.com/0e45265b0f9617d4a2d288f35edca7cf

Cool VL Viewer v1.30.0.10, 64 bits, Jul 30 2022 10:55:34
Release notes

You are at 261488.6, 246874.3, 21.7  in By Design located at
simhost-03a770ed55f2e514d.agni.secondlife.io (35.87.11.176:13020)
Alias: ec2-35-87-11-176.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
Second Life Server 2022-07-07.573176
Release notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3491.92 MHz)
Memory: 16268MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 64 bits v10.0 (build 10586.1826)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 750/PCIe/SSE2
Windows graphics driver version: 27.21.0014.5671
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71
Detected VRAM: 1024MB
J2C decoder: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635f
Audio driver: FMOD Studio v2.02.07
Networking backend: libcurl 7.47.0/OpenSSL 1.0.2u/zlib 1.2.11.zlib-ng
Embedded browser: Dullahan 1.12.3/CEF 91.1.21/Chromium 91.0.4472.114
Packets lost: 17/22750 (0.1%)

Built with: MSVC v1916
Compiler-generated maths: SSE2.

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /std:c++14 /EHs /fp:fast /MP /TP /W2 /c /nologo /GS- /Zc:threadSafeInit- /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0601 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0601 /DLL_PHMAP=1 /DLL_NETBIOS=1 /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DLL_FMOD=1 /DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC /DAPU_DECLARE_STATIC /DXML_STATIC /DCURL_STATICLIB=1

9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Fwiw, I can't reproduce this problem on Windows using the Lelutka Avalon head in EvoX mode.

https://gyazo.com/0e45265b0f9617d4a2d288f35edca7cf

Cool VL Viewer v1.30.0.10, 64 bits, Jul 30 2022 10:55:34
Release notes

You are at 261488.6, 246874.3, 21.7  in By Design located at
simhost-03a770ed55f2e514d.agni.secondlife.io (35.87.11.176:13020)
Alias: ec2-35-87-11-176.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
Second Life Server 2022-07-07.573176
Release notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3491.92 MHz)
Memory: 16268MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 64 bits v10.0 (build 10586.1826)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 750/PCIe/SSE2
Windows graphics driver version: 27.21.0014.5671
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71
Detected VRAM: 1024MB
J2C decoder: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635f
Audio driver: FMOD Studio v2.02.07
Networking backend: libcurl 7.47.0/OpenSSL 1.0.2u/zlib 1.2.11.zlib-ng
Embedded browser: Dullahan 1.12.3/CEF 91.1.21/Chromium 91.0.4472.114
Packets lost: 17/22750 (0.1%)

Built with: MSVC v1916
Compiler-generated maths: SSE2.

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /std:c++14 /EHs /fp:fast /MP /TP /W2 /c /nologo /GS- /Zc:threadSafeInit- /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0601 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0601 /DLL_PHMAP=1 /DLL_NETBIOS=1 /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DLL_FMOD=1 /DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC /DAPU_DECLARE_STATIC /DXML_STATIC /DCURL_STATICLIB=1

I've seen this issue with Gen, Ford, and Eon heads from Lelutka (yes, I loved the sales last fall and so did my alts).

9 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Thanks. You spared me another fruitless repro... 😛

Deferred:

CVLV-Lel-Gen-Deferred.thumb.jpg.d7a14c18a13578b8d2644136f41580bf.jpg

Non deferred:

CVLV-Lel-Gen-NonDeferred.thumb.jpg.9168cefad03e967b76a2a96b2e070dda.jpg

I should point out that I had opened the "about viewer" before I teleported away from home, not that it matters.

Edited by KjartanEno
clarifying more

11 hours ago, KjartanEno said:

Your ”Legacy” viewer 1.28.2.81 in either WL or ”Extended Environment Shaders” still renders these heads correctly in ALM or non-deferred.

Then you should be able to reproduce the same problem with LL's performance viewer (to confirm, you may run it under Wine if you only have Linux installed on this PC)... Since other TPVs did not yet backport the new renderer code, the issue won't show in them.

EDIT : the problem seems to be related to the new mesh faces sorting algorithm in the performances viewer: LL implemented several of those (and the Cool VL Viewer is using the latest, EDIT2: which is ahead of LL's current release viewer (*)), to try and reproduce the result seen in the older renderer in both ALM and direct rendering mode, but apparently never got it 100% right. The problem being that some mesh designers relied on the draw order depending on prims numbering in the link set (or something in that vein: I did not investigate deeply on this myself), and this is not how it works any more with the new renderer.

I can reproduce your issue, but only with some brow size/shape combinations (for every brow shape you may find a brow size or two that will show up just fine, while other sizes will not show)... Here is what I get (brow shape 4: brow size 2 KO first, then size 3 OK):

GenHead-brow-size2-ko.thumb.jpg.db2e35f9741cfe9e4aebb6b79e87b4f3.jpgGenHead-brow-size3-ok.thumb.png.b16df94ddc9b0392b2887595546cfcf4.png

My suggestion is to reproduce the issue with LL's viewer, then open a JIRA issue for it so that LL can fix it... (*)

EDIT2: (*) Since the Cool VL Viewer implements an algorithm which pertains to a viewer branch (DRTVWR-548-maint-N, commit: SL-17532 Potential fix for some rigged mesh draw order issues), that is newer than the current LL official viewer release, the issue does not show up (just yet) in the latter... The new algorithm is probably fixing another similar issue but is partly breaking this particular mesh... As I wrote above, LL never got it 100% right.

Fix it, or don't. *shrugs*

I'd rather wait for LL to fix the issue in their viewer, then backport it...

Oh, and the About floater shows that your system is badly configured: the core used by the main thread is running only at 1.2GHz while it should be in turbo mode (i.e above the base 3.7GHz frequency) !... Of course, under these conditions, the frame rates will suck rock. This is likely an issue with how your governor is configured (change it for the ”performance” mode and do check the idle timer driver does have support for Intel compiled in).

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

To fix it I would need to know what are the characteristics of the prims that fail to render (material, alpha mode, etc), and to see whether modifying them solves the issue or not (alpha blending vs masking, for example ?); I cannot do this unless I buy the head (the demo heads are no-mod)

I'm pretty sure the eyebrow layers of LeLutka heads are in blending mode by default - the heads are no-mod, even on the purchased versions (ugh.).

*Some* of the "HD" layers allow you to manually select the alpha mode (e.g. the lips layer, which was a feature I requested from LeLutka to fix poor lighting issues with "HD" lips); but the brows are not one of these.

FWIW, I think LL made a patch for onion-layering in the perf viewer, although I can't remember if that was before or after the perf viewer launched. Either way, LeLutka was one of the given examples of being borked prior to that patch. (I can't remember the JIRA number)

Thank you Henri. I did more testing, and indeed it is only some Lelutka heads, not all of them. Kane, Logan, and River (it was a great sale last Fall!) work just fine. I also want to say that I really do like your latest version. It looks great, and it is fast on both AMD and Nvidia. I sincerely appreciate your work!

I found a way to solve the alpha draw order issue for these heads (that hopefully won't break anything else). The fix will be in next release. Basically, for rigged meshes, I always preserve the legacy draw order (as computed in LL's latest fix/commit to MAINT-N viewer), regardless of alpha-sorting...

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.