Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think Horizon Worlds is meant to be just one of the many places we can visit within a Metaverse, and not the Metaverse itself.

That still doesn't make any sense to me, then. Like, if you want the Metaverse to be super realistic in the the way all these articles are talking about, then why would you want the jarring experience of hopping into a world that looks so much like...that? At first, I honestly thought Horizon Worlds was targeted to children, but it's 18+ from my understanding, so I guess I don't get it?

They have chosen action, activity, (game-play) over detailed avatars and environment so as not to tank fps.

Also, by keeping certain elements at low levels this allows VR without being tethered to an expensive computer -- it's played with Wifi via their Quest, and utilizes a common chip used in phones. Being less expensive at this point in time has allowed many more to participate, accelerating VR's growth overall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

They have chosen action, activity, (game-play) over detailed avatars and environment so as not to tank fps.

Also, by keeping certain elements at low levels this allows VR without being tethered to an expensive computer -- it's played with Wifi via their Quest, and utilizes a common chip used in phones. Being less expensive at this point in time has allowed many more to participate, accelerating VR's growth overall.

That makes sense. I guess I'm just not understanding the sheer amount of hype surrounding it in the media (and mostly in the media - nobody I personally know is even remotely interested in this stuff - including people in the big gaming groups I'm in on Discord, Twitch, and Reddit. It's hardly ever mentioned in those communities except to make fun of it).

Horizon Worlds is all stuff I've seen before in the gaming realm (VR has been around 5everrrrr, as you know). I've already made the connection that I'm absolutely *not* the target audience for this kind of thing, and I doubt that'll ever change if this is the direction it's going in. I'm always just perplexed by the number of articles being written on the thing is all.

15 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Horizon Worlds is all stuff I've seen before in the gaming realm (VR has been around 5everrrrr, as you know). I've already made the connection that I'm absolutely *not* the target audience for this kind of thing, and I doubt that'll ever change if this is the direction it's going in. I'm always just perplexed by the number of articles being written on the thing is all.

I see much more written about the Metaverse of late as opposed to Horizon Worlds specifically.  And when you have the money you have the ability to create the hype!

As to how popular Horizon Worlds actually is -- they have quite a number of users now (I think 300,000 last I checked, and they only opened up to the EU a month ago). I know lots of people who love VR, and also frequent Horizon Worlds, so perhaps the impressions we both obtain is based on who we hang around.

While it's true VR has been around a long while, this particular form of VR was not possible until fairly recently -- a more complex world where one can interact with others and build within the VR environment. It's so unlike the past that comparing VR now to VR in the past doesn't hold.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

nobody I personally know is even remotely interested in this stuff - including people in the big gaming groups I'm in on Discord, Twitch, and Reddit. It's hardly ever mentioned in those communities except to make fun of it).

Could say the same about second life so I’m not quite sure what high horse we are on here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I see much more written about the Metaverse of late as opposed to Horizon Worlds specifically.  And when you have the money you have the ability to create the hype!

This is sooooooooooo true!!! 

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As to how popular Horizon Worlds actually is -- they have quite a number of users now (I think 300,000 last I checked, and they only opened up to the EU a month ago). I know lots of people who love VR, and also frequent Horizon Worlds, so perhaps the impressions we both obtain is based on who we hang around.

This is very possible! I'm mostly in multiplayer gaming communities these days, and there are a lot of those, so interest is of course split. There's a lot of recent hype, for instance, surrounding Palia (check out the trailers n stuffs on YouTube - it's so pretty!) - but I highly doubt that's going to be coming out anytime soon. Last I heard, they're chillin' in Alpha, so it'll be a long while. Their Discord is hopping, though (42,000+ people currently online for a game that's got years left in production, geez). It's supposed to be like a...Stardew Valley meets My Time at Portia meets The Sims meets World of Warcraft free-to-play multiplayer game. I don't know if they have any VR plans. I'm slacking on keeping up with their updates. 😂

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

While it's true VR has been around a long while, this particular form of VR was not possible until fairly recently -- a more complex world where one can interact with others and build within the VR environment. It's so unlike the past that comparing VR now to VR in the past doesn't hold.

The building part is interesting, but I could've sworn I've seen that before. THOUGH, perhaps not in a multiplayer context, so that's a good point. I was thinking of like...No Man's Sky or city builders and whatnot. Community building might be a newer type of thing, yup.

• Like 1

I'm sure team based VR building has been around for a while, though not perhaps in any social media type "metaverse". One of my friends who's into mesh creation described her use of VR software to model with a team of others to me several years ago.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The building part is interesting, but I could've sworn I've seen that before. THOUGH, perhaps not in a multiplayer context, so that's a good point. I was thinking of like...No Man's Sky or city builders and whatnot. Community building might be a newer type of thing, yup.

Yes the architecture of something more like a game can be very limiting. Many people think VR is still totally like a game and don't see how it has evolved to be more "free" .

• Like 1

Yes the architecture of something more like a game can be very limiting. Many people think VR is still totally like a game and don't see how it has evolved to be more "free" .

So all these cool new developments - when are we getting VR chips to implant into our temples so we can finally yeet those ugly goggles into the sun never to be seen nor used again?

I kid, I kid, but you KNOW I'm never letting that go.  😂🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

So all these cool new developments - when are we getting VR chips to implant into our temples so we can finally yeet those ugly goggles into the sun never to be seen nor used again?

I kid, I kid, but you KNOW I'm never letting that go.  😂🤣

lol I was glancing at the ad for the new google VR/AR glasses the other day. You know the right kind of eyewear can make you look really cool 😁

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol I was glancing at the ad for the new google VR/AR glasses the other day. You know the right kind of eyewear can make you look really cool 😁

Glasses smlasses. I want implants!

Wait, that sounds...nvm, lol. You know what I mean!!! Give me the full cyberpunk experience or forget it! 😂

Mostly kidding - even full-on cyberpunk fantasy art still features goggles or glasses in some way, meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. *grumbles*

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
  • Haha 1

Anyway the whole point of how this post started was wrong, since they already mentioned in October 2021 how they want to make their avatar.

It's a long video, but you can skip to 1h to the chapter "what will make the metaverse feel real" and yes, there are legs and they even mention photorealistic avatars and they show a vest that you can "touch" and move.
For those that instead want to know even more, they can watch the full video, so they can have a better idea of what is now and what they want to achieve for the future. Then if they will manage or not.. this is another story and time will tell us.
Enjoy!

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Just watch Severence on AppleTV -- it will rid you of this notion of desiring implantations into your brain!

severence.jpg

Oh gosh, lol. You know, don't laugh, but I've been having that debate with myself for many, many years (since I was a teen, in fact!). I used to be obsessed with this game in the early 90s (based on a late '80s cyberpunk novel) where you could swap in/out various chips to enhance your physical and mental abilities on the fly to overcome street fights and all kinds of challenges. Sure, to a teen that sounds wildly cool. Eventually, the reality sets in...

One minute I was like oh yeah, totally borg me out let's go I'm ready to live forever wheeeeee. Replace ALL the things! Wire me up. Onward! The next I'm like - yeah that'd kinda suck wouldn't it. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Anyway the whole point of how this post started was wrong, since they already mentioned in October 2021 how they want to make their avatar.

It's a long video, but you can skip to 1h to the chapter "what will make the metaverse feel real" and yes, there are legs.
For those that instead want to know even more, they can watch the full video, so they can have a better idea of what is now and what they want to achieve for the future. Then if they will manage or not.. this is another story and time will tell us.
Enjoy!

I did watch that, and will be cool to experience if the Earth doesn't melt down before then, due to our nasty CORPORATIONS.  LOL

11 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If the Pentagon can be hacked... why would it NOT occur to anyone that implants could be hacked?

Lol, I was 12!  😂

But no seriously, that's one major reason I always go back and forth on ideas like that. Convenience vs. a whole world of potential trouble.

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Head Hack. Scary. I never even thought of that.

Surely that's been written about before, no? I actually don't read a lot of science fiction or cyberpunk (which is strange...you'd think I would, but I'm more of a horror gal), but that's GOT to be a thing, right? It sounds very Gibson-esque.

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Head Hack. Scary. I never even thought of that.

Surely that's been written about before, no? I actually don't read a lot of science fiction or cyberpunk (which is strange...you'd think I would, but I'm more of a horror gal), but that's GOT to be a thing, right? It sounds very Gibson-esque.

Did you think I was being sarcastic?  I wasn't, and was genuinely commenting that I hadn't encountered that or thought of it (the Pentagon doing such a thing, beyond Sci-fi novels and shows).

Edited by Luna Bliss

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Did you think I was being sarcastic?  I wasn't, and was genuinely commenting that I hadn't encountered that or thought of it.

Didn't think you were being sarcastic at all, nope! Was seriously wondering if that was an actual topic that's been written about since it seems like something that would be. Again, I don't read sci-fi, so I haven't heard of it either, but it sounds plausible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Didn't think you were being sarcastic at all, nope! Was seriously wondering if that was an actual topic that's been written about since it seems like something that would be. Again, I don't read sci-fi, so I haven't heard of it either, but it sounds plausible.

Sorry, I'm upset from another thread and misreading things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
42 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If the Pentagon can be hacked... why would it NOT occur to anyone that implants could be hacked?

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/are-pacemakers-defibrillators-vulnerable-to-hackers

Reminder that, prior to my current job, I went to a "blind interview" (pre-Google with no information on the company) for a job QA programming for a defibrillator company. Glad that didn't work out!

• Like 1

I think this whole thing is specifically a Western European/North American thing were a western company thinks it understands the whole world and knows what's best for it (entitled to believe that).  Europe/North America is just 10% of the worlds population so Meta needs a reality check when it comes to the headlines. reality they are just another western business that still divides its customers up as a caste class in its own internal documents as 1st World, 2nd World & 3rd World peoples instead of just the human race or specific region of the world.

Looking forward to what the Arabs, Africans, Indians, Hispanics, Central Asians & other Majority Populations come up with but really they might not waste the resource's. afterall whole wants a future were you own nothing and your happy because they tell your happy while your body is locked in a pod and mind hooked up to some Metaverse based on an aging 1980's Caucasian western males perspective and sexual gratification impulses. seems like more an episode of black mirror to me, every NPC in america/europe wants to join.

That's my other 2cents( not debatable with me) about another western Elites' wetdream of they know what's best for us "little people" and the 90% majority Meta refers to as the 3rd world.

Have a good day!B|

49769383-10142433-The_rebrand_meant_that

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.