Error Code using NVidia card

BrookeRanger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can't log into SL using any viewer. I get this error code:
Error message: "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them. If you continue to receive this message, contact the Second Life Support Portal.

Am on Windows 11, Inspiron 16 Plus, NVidia 3050... Tried all viewers but can't get in regardless. I did the modifications in the NVidia control panel as well, no luck.

Has anyone figured it out? Are they internal settings that should be done? Thanks

2 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

Can't log into SL using any viewer. I get this error code:
Error message: "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them. If you continue to receive this message, contact the Second Life Support Portal.

Am on Windows 11, Inspiron 16 Plus, NVidia 3050... Tried all viewers but can't get in regardless. I did the modifications in the NVidia control panel as well, no luck.

Has anyone figured it out? Are they internal settings that should be done? Thanks

Did you contact support?  If there has been an ongoing issue, they would probably be the ones hearing about it from residents.

This can usually be caused by two things:

1. Microsoft-provided GPU driver is used
  2. Viewer is using the integrated Intel GPU instead of the dedicated nvidia GPU

Make sure the driver from nvidia (or the nvidia driver provided from Dell) is installed. And also make sure the viewer is using the nvidia GPU (usually assigning a high performance mode for that application).

• Like 1

Driver IS installed and updated.

I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with a DELL technician installing it numerous times and each time I tried to once again log in, the program crashed. On multiple viewers.

Like I said before, I followed the instructions on that video and put Firestorm on the video card's choices. But the settings used do not work with my card. I was wondering if these have been updated.

That looks like a really nice laptop and it must be extremely frustrating having so much trouble when it should run SL quite handily.

Surely Dell support got way beyond this, but just to follow up on @Ansariel Hiller's point about the possibility it's somehow using Intel graphics, maybe try following the first part of this article from Dell's support pages:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000190229/how-to-set-nvidia-video-as-the-default-with-computers-that-have-integrated-and-discrete-video-cards

I'm not even 100% sure your model can use integrated graphics in the first place, and even if it can, it would be really weird that it should ever be configured to do so, but just making doubly sure (and I'm obviously grasping at straws). 

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure you don't need any nVidia settings from that video you mentioned which was from 2016, apparently to deal with some (temporary? model-specific?) problem seeing mesh. It seems you were having trouble before going to that video, though, so it's unlikely to be a cause of any current problems (unless the wrong preferred graphics processor were chosen by accident, but that would only break that specific viewer anyway).

You know, posting the viewer(s) log would help diagnose your issue (there will likely be warnings about the missing features that lead to the abortion, and as well information about what GPU it recognized or not).

Also, did you try and install NVIDIA's official drivers instead of Dell's one ?...  I never use third party vendors drivers, but only the official drivers from the GPU maker.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

Read above. The message stays ar ”you don't have a card or no drivers” when I have just installed the updates...
There is something in the settings of the card that is not working with SL. I was hoping someone had figured it out

Look at the viewer log (note: the ”SecondLife” sub-folder in the path given in the Wiki might be different for TPVs, but you will still find that sub-folder somewhere in the ”Roaming” folder): this message/dialog you get is just the sign that it did not recognize your card, and the log will likely tell us why !

Beside, my recommendation to install NVIDIA's official driver still stands...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 1

Does SL run when you are in Intel graphics mode? Do you know how to switch between internal and discrete graphics (it's either in the bios or a "control center package in windows)? Don't use Optimus mode (OS switching mode between Intel/NVidia). Chose either internal (intel) or discrete (NVidia).

Edited by MarissaOrloff

::SIGH::
Again... As I said above... I spent hours with Dell's technician on this issue, to no avail.
It is some setting on the NVIDIA control panel in order to be able to use SL. I wondered if a genius had already figured it out...

Edited by BrookeRanger

If you can get as far as the viewer's login screen, post the contents of the Help > About Second Life (or insert TPV name here) window.

There's a bunch of info in there which will help the techies reading this forum point you towards things to investigate.

Also, if you can - do as Henri says. Post your viewer's logs, which will contain more info specific to the crashes you're seeing.

(Also, word of advice - you're better off spending an hour head-desking than you are spending it on the phone to a "technician" at [insert-computer-manufacturer-here]).

Edited by Jenna Huntsman

@BrookeRangeras Ansariel said:

On 7/22/2022 at 11:00 PM, Ansariel Hiller said:

And also make sure the viewer is using the nvidia GPU (usually assigning a high performance mode for that application).

Check this, in Settings: https://pureinfotech.com/set-default-gpu-apps-windows-11/ (System -> Display -> Graphics -> select/browse for Firestorm/SLV/your-viewer-of-choice executable -> Options button -> select correct GPU).

On 7/22/2022 at 11:44 PM, BrookeRanger said:

Like I said before, I followed the instructions on that video and put Firestorm on the video card's choices. But the settings used do not work with my card. I was wondering if these have been updated.

You must select the assigned GPU In Windows itself nowadays, as the NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't do this anymore - make sure that NVIDIA card of yours is listed as the "high performance" option. Video you watched is outdated.

Edited by panterapolnocy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @BrookeRangerwondering if this got resolved? I'm looking for a new laptop and as you said, this one looks good ... On paper ...

On 7/29/2022 at 12:12 PM, BrookeRanger said:

::SIGH::
Again... As I said above... I spent hours with Dell's technician on this issue, to no avail.
It is some setting on the NVIDIA control panel in order to be able to use SL. I wondered if a genius had already figured it out...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.