Asking for a friend: Premium cost in Euros

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A friend asked me inworld

"I just wanted to find a european person and ask them how much premium costs them,  now that the euro has dropped a lot and is equal to 1 usd.  For all the euro people if this affects them now vs last year?  I'm thinking buying with their $ will cost them more, but if they cash out, they GET more?"

@Leora Greenwood Currency exchange requires you understand that all currencies are a commodity and the price of commodities changes over time in somewhat predictable but often surprisingly unpredictable ways. As of today the Sri Lankan currency has lost half its value in a very short time. Since the Sri Lankan gov is likely going to declare bankruptcy the currency is going to be volatile and likely decrease in value but how much and when is less predictable.

If you convert to, say, US$ you have neither lost nor gained and the same changing back. You gain or loose when the exchange rate changes. The direction of the rate of change and the direction of your currency exchange then determines if you lost or gained... Unfortunately it is way more complex than that simple exchange. What you do next with the money may reverse the loss or gain.

If you compare how many ounces of gold it takes to buy a bushel of wheat you find the price of wheat in gold has remained fairly constant for centuries. But the number of US$ it takes to buy a bushel of wheat has constantly increased. Is the price of wheat going up? Is wheat more valuable? OR... is the value of the US$ decreasing while wheat holds it value?

So is converting to US$ a good idea? To know you have to figure out the value of what you have, the value of what you want to buy, and the exchange rates for those things at the time you want to make the transaction... lots of variables.

So, no one can accurately answer your question. It will always be a strong "may be" or "may be not".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

I always found that exception interesting and it would be an incentive to pay annually, I imagine.

The monthly is around $40.00 more a year before taxes, So ya it's the best way to go.. Plus not having to worry about it again until next year. hehehe

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

A friend asked me inworld

"I just wanted to find a european person and ask them how much premium costs them,  now that the euro has dropped a lot and is equal to 1 usd.  

At any time, your friend can pull up Google and type in 'convert USD to Euro' and find out what it is at that moment.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

"I just wanted to find a european person and ask them how much premium costs them,  now that the euro has dropped a lot and is equal to 1 usd. 

Lemme DuckDuckGo that for you:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dollar+to+euro

f766737f9e288667ee6345a77ab71b66.png
It's practically the same now.

I remember the Euro being almost 2 Dollars, a decade ago.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Lemme DuckDuckGo that for you:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dollar+to+euro

f766737f9e288667ee6345a77ab71b66.png
It's practically the same now.

I remember the Euro being almost 2 Dollars, a decade ago.

In times of crisis, the dollar always gains field.
It is still the worlds nr 1 currency, when it comes to international trading.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.