300.000 "Elements" in your inventory?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The people working support aren't the most knowledgeable of the Lab's staff.

The Clear Cache Snake Oil - Gang.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I might just do that, I've seen them fix things for people before. I know a lot of people who've had inventory disasters, and some of them can be fixed at home, because inventory cache, I just have never had things literally disappear for real from my stash before.

I'm almost thinking it might just inspire me to make new, better stuff. I've gotten a lot better since way back then, so yeah, that's a thought. I know for sure I could make the land impact a lot lighter now.

I'm also already thinking on how to make that ice-racing boat thingy I've vowed to make. :D

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 11:54 PM, StilettoSara said:

She then had to contact the Linden Labs that explained to her, that 300.000 Elements is what "you"
maximum can keep inside your inventory and then she had to clean up inside her inventory.

I think she misunderstood what she was told. I'm fairly sure there is no limit to how many items you are allowed to keep in your inventory and if there is it's certainly much higher than 300,000. But there is a limit to how many you can have before logon becomes so slow it times out.

The solution is simple anyway: put stuff you don't use on a regular basis in boxes.

Edited by ChinRey

Dragging things into boxes solution comes up a lot in threads like this. It sounds so simple, and easy. But unless you are only dragging 10-20 or so items at time, stuff gets lost and doesn't transfer. If you are checking that everything transferred across then after a few batches you end up waiting and waiting for the box contents to update so you can check everything went across. I think there is a function in firestorm that will reliably copy things across in to boxes, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

From my experience of boxing things up and pitfalls of potentially losing your stuff, it is much easier to just bite the bullet and start deleting things.  If you are going to box things up then look on the firestorm wiki for the way to reliably copy stuff without losing things.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

I've come to view boxing up stuff as being the same as putting stuff in a box in the garage in RL. You won't use it or see it for years. Then someday you go out to the garage and find the box has been infested by rats or leaked on from heavy rains and it's all garbage now. You're ok with tossing it out now. Putting it in a box just gives you time to be willing to get rid of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I've come to view boxing up stuff as being the same as putting stuff in a box in the garage in RL. You won't use it or see it for years. Then someday you go out to the garage and find the box has been infested by rats or leaked on from heavy rains and it's all garbage now. You're ok with tossing it out now. Putting it in a box just gives you time to be willing to get rid of it.

Ya, I just throw those things out now.. I had to get rid of that feeling of, well maybe one day.. But those days are far and few between.. If I put it in a box I'll forget about it anyways..

A lot of the things I was hanging onto was more for nostalgia anyways..

When i start thinking back while looking at something because it started with a good memory.. there is always those cringe moments attached to them which have me in a rush to throw the dang thing away..lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Dragging things into boxes solution comes up a lot in threads like this. It sounds so simple, and easy. But unless you are only dragging 10-20 or so items at time, stuff gets lost and doesn't transfer.

Yes, that's actually a rather serious bug that LL never got around to fixing.

The Firestorm team did come up with a workaround though, the zdrop command: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_zdrop_ztake_mtake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, that's actually a rather serious bug that LL never got around to fixing.

The Firestorm team did come up with a workaround though, the zdrop command: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_zdrop_ztake_mtake

Thanks for looking it up for me. It has been a while since I played with bulk adding animations to furniture, AOs or dance balls, when the problems with lost files were driving me potty until I found that method. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Thanks for looking it up for me. It has been a while since I played with bulk adding animations to furniture, AOs or dance balls, when the problems with lost files were driving me potty until I found that method. 

Yes, it's easy to forget about it even if you have heard of it.

There is, however, an even easier option that works with all viewers and I completely forgot about: Ctrl-drag without having the box selected. Moving a lot of items to a box is no big job neither for viewer nor server. The timeout problems only occurs when the box is open or selected in edit mode because then the viewer will try to upadte the inventory list once for each and every object.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, it's easy to forget about it even if you have heard of it.

There is, however, an even easier option that works with all viewers and I completely forgot about: Ctrl-drag without having the box selected. Moving a lot of items to a box is no big job neither for viewer nor server. The timeout problems only occurs when the box is open or selected in edit mode because then the viewer will try to upadte the inventory list once for each and every object.

Knowing me I would move my folder of stuff into the floor doing that 😁

But very useful to know!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Knowing me I would move my folder of stuff into the floor doing that 😁

Yes, that's always a risk. 😉

Another reason why I'm not too fond of that method is that you get no feedback whatsoever, no confrirmation that the items really has been transferred to the box. I have to check and I don't dare to check in case I interrupt the transfer process. Tends to make me a bit nervous.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.